GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Ruger P85 & P89....Difference??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stanman
Advanced Member

USA
3757 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  10:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The P89 that I recently aquired was traded away within a week.
This left me in need of another.
Found some law inforcement trade-ins at local gun store for less than $200.
These are P85s, but I can see no visible difference between them and the P89.
Is there any difference between the two models?
If so, what is it??
Thanks for any comments.
Im off to work and wont be able to check the board until this evening but I do appreciate any input.

Im guessing $200 is reasonable for a gun that has been carried a lot and shot a little.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

stanman
Advanced Member

USA
3757 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  8:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTT
Anybody??

Go to Top of Page

nunn
Administrator

USA
35689 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  9:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First there was the P-85. Then there was a problem that surfaced with the P-85. Ruger made a factory modification at no cost on guns that were returned. On these guns, they made another marking. I don't remember what it was, either "Mark II" or an asterisk.

The modifications were incorporated into the current production gun and it became the P-89.

Look to see if the P-85 has an added marking. If it doesn't, you may have to send the gun to Ruger for the mod.

However, I have a very old P-85 in my work arsenal. It is used regularly for the Citizens' Police Academy classes. I never clean it; only lube it before use. It has never stopped or jammed, and it has not received the factory upgrade. It was a seizure gun, and when it breaks, it will be torched.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on GunBroker. Visit www.GunBroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
Go to Top of Page

Horse Plains Drifter
Advanced Member

USA
24342 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  9:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a P85 that was bought in Dec. of '90 or '91. It was one of the last P85's made before the P89 was issued. The P85's had a possible problem with the trigger or sear or safety or something ( time has clouded my memory). I think a few P85's were known to discharge when the safety was engaged and the hammer dropped ( again my mind is the victim of time ). Ruger recalled these guns. You could send your gun in and they would repair them. I believe they re-designed the inner workings to cure the problem and called the re-designed version the P89. At least that is how my memory says the story is told. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

RugerNiner
Advanced Member

11267 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  9:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt you will ever torch that gun in your life time.
Rugers live forever!

All Ruger P-85's that had the free upgrade are marked on the safety.
On the right hand side stamped on the safety is MKIIR. If it not on there Ruger will upgrade it free.

The P-89 has the refined safety that places the rear of the firing pin inside the frame as well as placing a block over it.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
Go to Top of Page

stanman
Advanced Member

USA
3757 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  11:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much gentlemen.
It would appear that 200 bones for a law enforcement trade in may not be the bargain I thought it was!
Ill stop by the gun store tomorrow and check for the additional markings and proceed from there.
I would think however that the county sheriffs would have sent their guns in for the upgrade.
Now Im concerned about my decision to give the gun shop a chance to win my business. (I typically buy from the pawn shops but they just dont have the selection that I find at the gun store.)
I asked the owner about the difference in the 2 models and his response was that he didnt know, some slight difference in the safety he thought.
So he is either a liar or too uninformed to even know his own product. I get plenty of that at the gun shows.
I guess I go back to buying used at the pawn shops and new from The Marts!

Go to Top of Page

RugerNiner
Advanced Member

11267 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2003 :  11:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think $200 dollars is on the high side. Anything under that would be acceptable such as $155 to $185 dollars. If you never had a Ruger you won't regret it. THEY ARE TANKS.

On the other hand if you wait and search long enough you will find a P-89 for $200 and that is a Model that is still made today. I still prefer my KP-85MKII. These were made between the P-85 and P-89.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
Go to Top of Page

stanman
Advanced Member

USA
3757 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  12:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruger,
Thanks for the advice.
You may recall that we corresponded about the P89 with the extraction difficulty. As I stated earlier that gun was traded away, with full disclosure that there may be a problem.

One of the things I liked about these P85s was the 15 round mag, but Im not sure what, if any value that should add.
It just seems most dealers in these parts are pulling the standard capacity mags, replacing them with 10 rounders and selling the 15 rounders seperately for $25 - $30 each.

Ive always been a revolver guy, but Ill have to get more educated about the autoloaders. I seem to be developing a real fondness for them lately.

Go to Top of Page

outdoortexas
Advanced Member

USA
4556 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  08:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stan, I'm as nutty behind the Rugers as Niner. Still own the Security Six and Speed Six in 357, would never turn them loose. They were my work guns in the early 80's and I still love them like children.
But, first I bought a pair of KP-95 DC's in 9mm, then went to the KP-97 DC's in 45, I'll never go back to the wheelguns now except for fun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page