GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Do Glocks have Safeties?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Captplaid
Advanced Member

USA
17661 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are two things in life I've never done, nor do I never intend to eaither. I've never driven a red tractor and I've never touched a Glock.

Do these things really not have a safety?

Obama believes he can tax your breathing.

Liberty isn't free. It is paid in blood. -Thomas Jefferson

Does anyone remember what the Boston Tea Party was about?

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15467 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they have three of them in fact that are operated in sucession by pulling the trigger.

they dont have a manually operated external safety like a 1911, but saying they dont have any safety at all is ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39397 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a trigger lock..LMAO!! I think.
Go to Top of Page

Mossbergboogie
Advanced Member

USA
12843 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captplaid

There are two things in life I've never done, nor do I never intend to eaither. I've never driven a red tractor and I've never touched a Glock.

Do these things really not have a safety?

They have noting to manipulate other than a trigger... I have driven numerous red tractors but I own a green one...

"There are few people who are more often in the wrong than those who cannot endure to be so." Francois De La Rochefoucauld

I know who I am and who I was. Who I am is always better than who I was.

"In a world where our [political] choices are limited to John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi, the survivors envy the dead," matt welch and nick gillespie The Declaration of Independants
Go to Top of Page

quickmajik
Advanced Member

USA
18444 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like them green tractors, but they break all the time.

Glocks got a little thingy majig in the middle of the trigger, it has to be pressed into the trigger for the gun to fire.

It is an old mechanism, its just been updated.
Go to Top of Page

xxx97
Advanced Member

4496 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you imagine if a noob asked this question...

Go to Top of Page

ChrisInTempe
Advanced Member

USA
11835 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped buying imported guns before I ever got around to a Glock. So I don't know either. I buy only MADE IN USA, it's my Economic Stimulus Plan for America!

Go to Top of Page

shoff14
Advanced Member

9959 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is called your index finger.
Go to Top of Page

William81
Advanced Member

USA
21075 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like every firearm, the only real safety is the person holding it. Never understood why people get all hung up on the lack of manual safeties on a Glock....it is really no difference than carrying a revolver.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberials

Go to Top of Page

matwor
Advanced Member

12031 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shoff14

Sometimes referred to as a "booger hook."

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds
forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

quote:
Originally posted by nunn
Fess up, ya RancheroPaul-smelling SOB!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Thomas Jefferson

quote:
Originally posted by cartod
I myself have seen these mossberg carrying hunters in the northern partridge fields and its all I can do not to have my hispanic bird boys go over and kick there ass.

Go to Top of Page

ruger270man
Advanced Member

USA
9445 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are too unsafe to require a safety, you shouldn't be shooting guns.

my safety = brain + finger

"Excuses are just lies we tell ourselves."
Go to Top of Page

Old.22Bolts
Advanced Member

French Polynesia
4724 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  8:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matwor

quote:
Originally posted by shoff14

Sometimes referred to as a "booger hook."

Or a "goodie getter" in Mississippi...
Go to Top of Page

bpost

USA
29253 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are no manual safeties, it is a BAD design IMNSHO.

The gun is, without a doubt, the most dangerous gun to own IMNSHO.

It would be VERY dangerous to carry holstered in a brier thicket or shrubs where an errant twig could engage the trigger safety bar and fire the gun.

The Glock 21, loaded with 13 rounds of 45 ACP 230 HP's is my primary home defense gun laying on my night stand next to my bed.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

xxx97
Advanced Member

4496 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bpost

It would be VERY dangerous to carry holstered in a brier thicket or shrubs where an errant twig could engage the trigger safety bar and fire the gun.

The Glock 21, loaded with 13 rounds of 45 ACP 230 HP's is my primary home defense gun laying on my night stand next to my bed.

Go to Top of Page

Mossbergboogie
Advanced Member

USA
12843 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

honest question not being a smartass... Why would you own one then?

"There are few people who are more often in the wrong than those who cannot endure to be so." Francois De La Rochefoucauld

"In a world where our [political] choices are limited to John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi, the survivors envy the dead," matt welch and nick gillespie The Declaration of Independants

Edited by - Mossbergboogie on 12/11/2010 9:04:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

storm6490
Advanced Member

8138 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What the bleen does this mean? IMNSHO

Go to Top of Page

Mossbergboogie
Advanced Member

USA
12843 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by storm6490

quote:

In my not so humble opinion.

Go to Top of Page

William81
Advanced Member

USA
21075 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In My Not So Humble Opinion

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberials

Go to Top of Page

ChrisInTempe
Advanced Member

USA
11835 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just a guess here but -

In My Not So Humble Opinion
Go to Top of Page

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15467 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
people have been carrying double action revolvers without any manual external safeties for decades stacked upon decades.

glocks are flat revolvers, plain and simple. carrying a glock in the bush with a target trigger wouldnt be wise, but neither would carrying any gun with a light short trigger. thats just a recipe for disaster...

id carry a glock with a 8 or 10 lb trigger anywhere any time with no worries whatsoever.

now you start talking a 1911 with a light trigger and then id have reason to be concerned. knock that safety off and you could be in trouble.
Go to Top of Page

ruger270man
Advanced Member

USA
9445 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dont know what kind of holsters you use, but most holsters cover the trigger.

"Excuses are just lies we tell ourselves."
Go to Top of Page

ChrisInTempe
Advanced Member

USA
11835 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glocks are made in Austria. I am sure they are a fine people over there and would be a delight to share a meal and a beer with. Even so I just don't feel right shipping my dollars far, far from home where they do the least good for my own country.

So my latest pistol was made in Prescott, Arizona.

My next may well be made in Connecticut, or perhaps Florida. Maybe even Arizona again. We'll see how it plays out.

As I see it, if something I need today cannot be found in the USA, made by Americans in need of jobs and job security, well maybe I don't need that thing so badly after all.
Go to Top of Page

tajjn

USA
982 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once you've gone Glock you'll never go back
Go to Top of Page

oldrider
Advanced Member

USA
3918 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lack of external safety is way down on my list of reasons not to carry a Glock.
Go to Top of Page

skicat
Advanced Member

9719 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  9:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Glock" I just don't like how it sounds. I know a guy who won't eat yogurt. He said 'I won't eat anything they decided to call yogurt."

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." Ron Paul

“The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don’t know anything about.”
- Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

ChrisInTempe
Advanced Member

USA
11835 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldrider

The lack of external safety is way down on my list of reasons not to carry a Glock.

Okay, so what are the reasons high up on your list not to carry a Glock?
Go to Top of Page

cce1302
Advanced Member

USA
8776 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you redefine safety, then yes, they have a safety.

There is no safety, i.e. an external switch that prevents the handgun from firing when you attempt to squeeze the trigger.

I'm not sure why glock fanboys get so hung up on that. My P95 doesn't have a safety either, but you don't hear me hemming and hawing around trying to justify the decocker or other internal parts and call them a "safety."

It simply doesn't have a safety in the generally accepted use of the word.

Go to Top of Page

oldrider
Advanced Member

USA
3918 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisInTempe

quote:
Originally posted by oldrider

Okay, so what are the reasons high up on your list not to carry a Glock?

I have shot some Glocks, just never owned one. I have to admit that the ones I fired shot good. Even with my biased opinion I won't deny that.

Reason one- they feel like the water gun I had in third grade.

Reason two- they look like the water gun I had in third grade, only they are black with no stopper.

Reason three- I dislike the trigger.

Really, I think if you are going to choose a handgun to get comfortable with, practice with, and really get close to, you are way ahead to get one you can love. The plastic just won't do it for me.

Though it does do something for lots of folks.
Go to Top of Page

wittynbear
Advanced Member

4919 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glock may very well be one of the very few firearms I think should be banned from being imported or sold in the US until they add a safety.

Anyone who carries a glock should be criminally charged with public endangerment. If they have an AD they should be put under the jail.

Edited by - wittynbear on 12/11/2010 10:37:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

storm6490
Advanced Member

8138 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya, they have safe action pistols..

it's basically a firing pin lock that they copied from walther and improved upon.

the advantage of the safe action pistol is in the draw. you save tenths of a second while firing the weapon as opposed to another design that requires that you dis-engage the safety to fire. You pull the trigger and it goes off, always. A branch would have one hell of a time getting the external safety to trip and then achieve the pull required. It's not a match trigger but it is a fast trigger if you have a pair.

The two internal safeties lock that firing pin down so hard that there is no chance in hell of it going off unless you intentionally squeeze the trigger. It can take huge blows and not go off on you. Toss your 1911 around and it's going to go off on you. The glock was drop tested hundreds of time and nothing.

So, the Glock really has three safeties.

Go to Top of Page

storm6490
Advanced Member

8138 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wittynbear

Glock may very well be one of the very few firearms I think should be banned from being imported or sold in the US until they add a safety.

Anyone who carries a glock should be criminally charged with public endangerment. If they have an AD they should be put under the jail.

yer freaking kidding right?

Go to Top of Page

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15467 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

and should all double action revolvers be banned as well? what about all the other guns, both foreign and domestic that dont have safeties? shall we ban them as well?

im just trying to ascertain whether your hatred is misdirected at glocks in particular, or if you think all guns that dont have an independant mannually operated external safety and you just chose to mention glocks.
Go to Top of Page

ChrisInTempe
Advanced Member

USA
11835 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Ruger SR9 is made in America. Glocks are not. The Ruger works well, fits my hand and I got it new at a good price.

What more should I need?

Certainly not an Austrian riding on my hip for dramatic effect, I'll tell ya' that much.
Go to Top of Page

UNIVERSITY50

1612 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am glad the expert has spoken!!

Edited by - UNIVERSITY50 on 12/11/2010 10:52:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

xxx97
Advanced Member

4496 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope he does not live in the states...
Go to Top of Page

Mossbergboogie
Advanced Member

USA
12843 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you going to toss the sigs in as well?

Go to Top of Page

wittynbear
Advanced Member

4919 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call it what you want (safe trigger, safe action, etc...) to rationalize it in your own mind, but a single action pistol with a light trigger pull and no safety is dangerous. Thats exactly what a glock is, one of the few firearms manufacturers that I would like to see sued out of existence.

I am willing to bet that there are more AD's with glocks than all other firearms combined. And no I don't include any other firearm into that catagory only glocks.

Go to Top of Page

Beeramid

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I happen to know an FBI firearm's instructor, when he first got accepted into the bureau he wanted a SIG. However, he learned to love his GLOCK, now he carries two of them on a daily basis. To date not one single occurrence of an AD. No stories of any of the other agents in his office having one either. Could it be that they know general firearms safety? Maybe the ones here who are freaking out about how dangerous the gun is, should read up on their gun safety or re-evaluate their hobbies.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

Beeramid

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Call it what you want (safe trigger, safe action, etc...) to rationalize it in your own mind, but a single action pistol with a light trigger pull and no safety is dangerous. Thats exactly what a glock is, one of the few firearms manufacturers that I would like to see sued out of existence.

I am willing to bet that there are more AD's with glocks than all other firearms combined. And no I don't include any other firearm into that catagory only glocks.

Great way to open the doorway for other manufacturers to be sued out of existence. Sad to see a gun owner wishing for the destruction of the gun industry and insisting upon gun bans.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

ChrisInTempe
Advanced Member

USA
11835 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's been something like 2,500,000 Glock handguns shipped out of the factory. If they were so all crazy unsafe, there'd be massive numbers of lawyers parachuting into survivor's backyards with promises of vast riches just waiting for them a mere Wrongful Death lawsuit away.

I don't think Glocks are more deadly than any other firearm whichever end you intend to be from them. I simply think they are Austrian, and therefore of insufficient economic benefit to anyone I know or care about.
Go to Top of Page

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15467 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Call it what you want...

im going to apoligize in advance since this is likely to offend you, but i have to ask do you have any idea what you're talking about?

broken down piece by piece:

quote:

but a single action pistol with a light trigger pull and no safety is dangerous. Thats exactly what a glock is

single action: A single-action trigger performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker to discharge the firearm each time the trigger is pulled.

double action: a double action trigger performs the two actions of drawing the striker or hammer to the rear of the gun and then releasing it, as two seperate actions. how you differentiate between dao and da/sa is that in dao, the striker or hammer will remain in the rest or decocked position throught out the reloading sequence.

glocks are not single action in any way.

quote:

pistol with a light trigger pull and no safety is dangerous.

those two things dont go together on a carry gun regardless of whose name is on the side of it. glocks arent designed to be carried with ligt triggers. those are competition mods. if an end user is dumb enough to make that mistake, why is the company liable? because their product can be modified in such a way?

quote:

again, you're being ignorantly one sided. you want to stack EVERY OTHER TYPE OF GUN COMBINED again one manufacturer? im going to let that little blunder go and assume for your sake that youve had a few wobbly pops or a recent head injury. otherwise, thats easily in the top three most rediculous things ever said on this or any other message baord.

Edited by - KEVD18 on 12/11/2010 11:37:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

storm6490
Advanced Member

8138 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's pretty happy you would want to see a successful pistol company sued. They make safe products or you would hear horror stories of them going off. Glock does more for the shooting sports than any other pistol maker in the world. They are the red bull of the pistol matches. How the hell do you think they could get away with that and have unsafe products. Why would departments around the world issue them to their half brained officers?

Light trigger? Yer nuts! It pulls 5 lbs easy on the middle of the trigger where your finger must be!

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Your's sucks!

Go to Top of Page

tr fox
Advanced Member

USA
15730 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KEVD18

they have three of them in fact that are operated in sucession by pulling the trigger.

they dont have a manually operated external safety like a 1911, but saying they dont have any safety at all is ridiculous.

Yeah, but that Glock trigger safety, the only non-passive "safety" on a Glock, works just EXACTLY like the "safety" in the trigger on my S&W model 19 and in fact every revolver and semi-auto that I own.

That is if the trigger gets pulled (whether by your finger or by catching on a holster part, etc.) the gun WILL SHOOT. Period.

Those little levers on some semi-autos like Glock are called trigger safeties. But the funny part is, if that trigger is pulled, the gun fires. Just as with every other gun. If you took off that silly little "trigger safety lever" you would generally notice absolutely no difference in how the gun would function.

I.E. pull the trigger (for any reason or by any cause) and the GUN FIRES. So can someone tell me exactly how those silly little trigger levers act as some kind of safety? I would really like to know because I just don't see it.

OBTW, myself and probably many others here have seen warnings about how Glocks should ALWAYS be carried in a holster. In fact carried in a holster that covers the trigger. I am not sure but I believe that warning is even found in the paperwork that comes with a new Glock. The reason for this is that, especially when CCW is involved, when you are stuffing that Glock into any thing but a holster, for example, in your belt in the small of your back or on your weak side for cross draw carry, if somehow that trigger gets pulled THE GUN WILL SHOOT.

This is NOT the case with, for example, my Springfield Armory XD40. It also has that goofey little trigger safety that is worthless, but it also has a GRIP SAFETY that DOES work.

Edited by - tr fox on 12/11/2010 11:54:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

storm6490
Advanced Member

8138 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tr fox

quote:

Yeah, but that Glock trigger safety, the only non-passive "safety" on a Glock, works just EXACTLY like the "safety" in the trigger on my S&W model 19 and in fact every revolver and semi-auto that I own.

That is if the trigger gets pulled (whether by your finger or by catching on a holster part, etc.) the gun WILL SHOOT. Period.

Those little levers on some semi-autos like Glock are called trigger safeties. But the funny part is, if that trigger is pulled, the gun fires. Just as with every other gun. If you took off that silly little "trigger safety lever" you would notice absolutely no difference in how the gun would function.

I.E. pull the trigger (for any reason or by any cause) and the GUN FIRES. So can someone tell me exactly how those silly little trigger levers act as some kind of safety? I would really like to know because I just don't see it.

Basically, the weapon is not intended for the lowest common denominator. A moron may have an AD with a glock. The stupid trigger safety makes certain that you intend to fire the pistol. you have to put the middle of your pad on the middle of the trigger. If that switch is not depressed, it will not go off from a snag or grazing pressure. It will go off when you depress the trigger from the center only. You should treat every weapon as if it were loaded and never touch the trigger or even put your finger inside the GUARD unless you intend to fire it. While you are not touching the safety, the trigger is locked in place and there are two physical locks inside the gun allowing you to launch that pistol off a building and never have it fire on you.

Is it cool to play with your trigger on safe? No!

Edited by - storm6490 on 12/11/2010 11:50:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

tr fox
Advanced Member

USA
15730 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Those little levers on some semi-autos like Glock are called trigger safeties. But the funny part is, if that trigger is pulled, the gun fires. Just as with every other gun. If you took off that silly little "trigger safety lever" you would notice absolutely no difference in how the gun would function.

Basically, the weapon is not intended for the lowest common denominator. A moron may have an AD with a glock. The stupid trigger safety makes certain that you intend to fire the pistol. you have to put the middle of your pad on the middle of the trigger. If that switch is not depressed, it will not go off from a snag or grazing pressure. It will go off when you depress the trigger from the center only. You should treat every weapon as if it were loaded and never touch the trigger or even put your finger inside the GUARD unless you intend to fire it.

Good come back and all, but triggers are not very wide. And the "safety lever" is not very far from the edge of the trigger. So if there is some easy and common way to have an AD with a gun without the safety lever, in many cases that same cause could easily hit on that safety lever and you still get an AD. I would prefer no safety lever but instead a gripe safety. With a grip safety that REALLY REALLY means that if you are not trying to shoot the gun, it most likely will not shoot.

Go to Top of Page

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15467 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  12:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's pretty happy you would want to see a successful pistol company sued. They make safe products or you would hear horror stories of them going off. Glock does more for the shooting sports than any other pistol maker in the world. They are the red bull of the pistol matches. How the hell do you think they could get away with that and have unsafe products. Why would departments around the world issue them to their half brained officers?

Light trigger? Yer nuts! It pulls 5 lbs easy on the middle of the trigger where your finger must be!

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Your's sucks!

glocks can be had with trigger pulls ranging from 3.5lb to 12lb. to state that a glock has a light trigger is ludicrius as they can be had with a range of weights.

again, it comes down to the end user not being a donkey and using the right equipment for the job being done.

quote:

quote:

Those little levers on some semi-autos like Glock are called trigger safeties. But the funny part is, if that trigger is pulled, the gun fires. Just as with every other gun. If you took off that silly little "trigger safety lever" you would generally notice absolutely no difference in how the gun would function.

OBTW, myself and probably many others here have seen warnings about how Glocks should ALWAYS be carried in a holster. In fact carried in a holster that covers the trigger. I am not sure but I believe that warning is even found in the paperwork that comes with a new Glock. The reason for this is that, especially when CCW is involved, when you are stuffing that Glock into any thing but a holster, for example, in your belt in the small of your back or on your weak side for cross draw carry, if somehow that trigger gets pulled THE GUN WILL SHOOT.

This is NOT the case with, for example, my Springfield Armory XD40. It also has that goofey little trigger safety that is worthless, but it also has a GRIP SAFETY that DOES work.

and will a hammerless j fram not experience the same possible problem?

im not trying to declare that the design doesnt have a weak point(as all do) or that the gun is perfect(as none arent). im merely making the argument that they arent any more or less dangerous than the gun they were designed to replace and the gun that set the standard, the double action revolver.
Go to Top of Page

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15467 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  12:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Good come back and all, but triggers are not very wide. And the "safety lever" is not very far from the edge of the trigger. So if there is some easy and common way to have an AD with a gun without the safety lever, in many cases that same cause could easily hit on that safety lever and you still get an AD. I would prefer no safety lever but instead a gripe safety. With a grip safety that REALLY REALLY means that if you are not trying to shoot the gun, it most likely will not shoot.

bs plain and simple. you brought up in your last post to me accident that take place while holstering. tell me, how do you holster your weapon and not activate the grip safety?
Go to Top of Page

Captplaid
Advanced Member

USA
17661 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  12:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...So...Glocks are the Saab of the handgun world.

They're boxy but safe.

I don't think I'll be buying a Glock, Saab, or a red tractor EVER!

Obama believes he can tax your breathing.

Liberty isn't free. It is paid in blood. -Thomas Jefferson

Does anyone remember what the Boston Tea Party was about?
Go to Top of Page

RTKBA

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  12:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was about 12 I had an ad/nd with a 1911 and it has two safety's. I saw a squirrel in the back yard so I picked up my 1911 with the safety on aimed and pulled the trigger, Bang a nice hole through the window. The thumb safety was broken. I learned a lot from that. The only safety that matters is the one between your ears. And if you don't have it there even a million safety's on a weapon is not going to help you.

P.S
I ran out side and through a base ball at the window to hide the hole. It worked.

"If they determine contrary to the understanding of the people, an appeal will lie to the people at the period when the rulers are to be elected, and they will have it in their power to remedy the evil. But when this power is lodged in the hands of men independent of the people, and of their representatives, and who are not constitutionally accountable for their opinions, no way is left to control them but with a high hand and an outstretched arm." By Brutus
Go to Top of Page

storm6490
Advanced Member

8138 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  12:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Basically, the weapon is not intended for the lowest common denominator. A moron may have an AD with a glock. The stupid trigger safety makes certain that you intend to fire the pistol. you have to put the middle of your pad on the middle of the trigger. If that switch is not depressed, it will not go off from a snag or grazing pressure. It will go off when you depress the trigger from the center only. You should treat every weapon as if it were loaded and never touch the trigger or even put your finger inside the GUARD unless you intend to fire it.

So, you go ahead and drop your 1911 and glock and see which one fires first. How about we drag them into some elk weed by the barrel and see which one fires first. Clear your glock and safely experiment with ways to manipulate the trigger into firing on accident. It will happen with less frequency than a 1911. Then do a shock test and you will see that the glock is perfect for situations where your side arm "backup" will get banged around as you move with your rifle. The guard is wide and the safety on the trigger is very specific.

I own a gold cup and a glock. I trust that the glock is a safer weapon in all situations and conditions except knock down power!

A new safety mechanism on a Glock is about as easy to explain to someone as it is explaining how a 6 cylinder inline can smoke a v8 twice it's displacement.

My P3at has no safety and has a heavier trigger. I don't play with the trigger on any of my rifles or pistols. If you measure a glocks pull at the center of the trigger were your pad must be, you won't find a factory glock under 5 lbs. That's a very intentional amount of pressure with placement.

Go to Top of Page

MVP
Advanced Member

Equatorial Guinea
21965 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  12:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Call it what you want...

im going to apoligize in advance since this is likely to offend you, but i have to ask do you have any idea what you're talking about?

broken down piece by piece:

quote:

but a single action pistol with a light trigger pull and no safety is dangerous. Thats exactly what a glock is

single action: A single-action trigger performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker to discharge the firearm each time the trigger is pulled.

double action: a double action trigger performs the two actions of drawing the striker or hammer to the rear of the gun and then releasing it, as two seperate actions. how you differentiate between dao and da/sa is that in dao, the striker or hammer will remain in the rest or decocked position throught out the reloading sequence.

glocks are not single action in any way.
quote:

pistol with a light trigger pull and no safety is dangerous.

those two things dont go together on a carry gun regardless of whose name is on the side of it. glocks arent designed to be carried with ligt triggers. those are competition mods. if an end user is dumb enough to make that mistake, why is the company liable? because their product can be modified in such a way?

quote:

again, you're being ignorantly one sided. you want to stack EVERY OTHER TYPE OF GUN COMBINED again one manufacturer? im going to let that little blunder go and assume for your sake that youve had a few wobbly pops or a recent head injury. otherwise, thats easily in the top three most rediculous things ever said on this or any other message baord.

You might want to learn how a Glock works before you say they are not single action. They are in fact striker fired, single action.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page