GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Anyone use Garlic to deworm their dogs???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a customer tell us that he uses a clove of garlic every day to deworm dogs...said it was healthier for the dog too. Has anyone used this method and if so, does it work???

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39411 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard it works well as a preventative measure but,I have never heard/seen any evidence that it can "DEWORM" an animal that is already infected.
That said;I have seen tobacco actually KILL worms in a Beagle...
Yes, the dog did suffer some side effects(nausea,dizziness,vomiting and the runs)BUT, The dog,after 3 treatments,once every other day,had passed all the intestinal worms and was back to her old hi-energy self..
Funniest thing,She was a bitch named GENERAL...Great rabbit dog though!!

All i can figger is,NICOTINE kills intestinal worms.
Go to Top of Page

EhlerDave
Advanced Member

USA
3152 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother has dipped for 20 years and as far as I know he has never had worms of any kind.

Smile and say nothing, just let them guess how much you know.

Check out www.EDNF.org it will tell you about EDS.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/index.html
Go to Top of Page

miles

USA
1599 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most Vets. will you that garlic and onions can be dangerous to dogs and cats. Kidney failure can result from something that their stomach produces when they injest garlic or onion.

Dog dewormer doesn't cost that much if you care about your dog's health.

Other things to avoided are raisins ,grapes and chocolate plus the
usual poisons like anti freeze and stuff found under most kitchen sinks.

Do a Google search to be on the safe side.

There is a pleasure in being mad which none but madmen know.
John Dryden
Go to Top of Page

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39411 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miles

Most Vets. will you that garlic and onions can be dangerous to dogs and cats. Kidney failure can result from something that their stomach produces when they injest garlic or onion.

Trouble is.Most,if not all commercial dewormers contain ARSENIC..
I think i'd rather take my chances with TOBACCO!!
Go to Top of Page

miles

USA
1599 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fishkiller41

quote:

Trouble is.Most,if not all commercial dewormers contain ARSENIC..
I think i'd rather take my chances with TOBACCO!!

Meds. are given according to body weight and I suppose Arsenic given in the correct doses must be safe, all things considered or my dogs would have been dead long ago.

I like my Copenhagen but my dogs would puke like a sick buzzard if I
gave them a big old dip.

There is a pleasure in being mad which none but madmen know.
John Dryden
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I knew onions were VERY bad for them...hence my concern about garlic, but I just googled it and it appears as if quite a few folks recommend using it. I just gave my shepherd two cloves of garlic...I'm going to try a 5 day course of it, two cloves a day.
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37552 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most modern de-wormers do NOT contain arsenic. Different medications are used depending upon whether the worms are nematodes, trematodes or cestodes. Many have very complicated life cycles and are difficult to kill at some stages.

See a vet, get a real medication and quit fooling around with homeopathic old wives tales.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

Most modern de-wormers do NOT contain arsenic. Different medications are used depending upon whether the worms are nematodes, trematodes or cestodes. Many have very complicated life cycles and are difficult to kill at some stages.

See a vet, get a real medication and quit fooling around with homeopathic old wives tales.

I don't have any evidence that she has worms...she's just so skinny! She will be 2 years old in March and she's skin and bones. If she'll eat it, we are giving her 6 cups of food a day. Sometimes she won't eat that much, but we are making it available to her...
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37552 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  12:03:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ain't a diagnostician, and even a vet probably could not diagnose anything on-line. Sounds like she is due for a check-up by a good canine vet. I know things are tight, but that is the responsibility of having animals, ya gotta take care of them.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

Azhunter

USA
2232 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  12:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your dog had worms you should be able to see them in their stools, inspect a fresh pile and see if you can see anything moving, or things that look like rice grains. Some dogs are just skinny, Sparky is one. All the dry food he wants to eat, but you get him wet and he looks like a famine survivor.
Go to Top of Page

john w
Advanced Member

4055 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  12:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garlic wont kill them at least it did not kill my junkyard shepard i had to guard the bodyshop. We gave him a few cloves and he liked it and pried the lower drawer open and ate 6 whole bulbs of it. That dog stunk garlic for about 2 months!. Since then i have heard that it may be harmfull to dogs but it did not kill my shepard.
You can buy wormer at any farm and fleet without a prescription or any of the dog catalogs.
The worms do not always show up in the poop in every movement so if you suspect them just worm them anyway.

Edited by - john w on 01/05/2011 12:25:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

john w
Advanced Member

4055 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  12:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ECC

quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

I don't have any evidence that she has worms...she's just so skinny! She will be 2 years old in March and she's skin and bones. If she'll eat it, we are giving her 6 cups of food a day. Sometimes she won't eat that much, but we are making it available to her...

If she does not have worms she may have EPI and that is when their pancreas do not make the enzimes and the do not digest their food. They will eat and crap like crazy but keep getting skinnier and skinner as they are not getting the neutrents from the food. If her stools look claylike that may be the problem. It is treatable with powdered pig pancreas given with every meal. Have her tested if she does not have worms she may have EPI!. My doberman lived with it for 6-7 yrs and in the end old age and weak hind legs got him at the age of 12 last march. If she does have it contact me and i will steer you to a place to buy the PPP in bulk as it is EXPENSIVE from the vet. A women in ohio here buys it bulk and resells it to the people who need it at 1/2 the price the vets charge and that makes it affordable. Her dog has EPI also and she does not make any profit from it and she is a great person. It comes right from the drug maker to her and is certified just as the vets stuff is. A Kilo will last about 6-7 months depending on dod size and it was costing me about 140.00 shipped priority mail if i remember right wheras the vets was 12OZ for 120.00 OUCH!!!

Edited by - john w on 01/05/2011 12:47:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cubslover G16
Advanced Member

USA
15765 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Onions and garlic have a cumulative effect.

They won't kill them intially, but as the toxic accumulates over time (they cannot get rid of it), it will eventually get to them.

"Half of the lies they tell about me aren't true"

Click here to put a bid on my Yugo monster.

"Some people are alive, only because it's illegal to kill them"
Go to Top of Page

MudderChuck
Advanced Member

Germany
3437 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dogs are like people some can and some can't. I had two dogs in different decades that went into convulsions eating my grapes. I have a Plummer terrier that ate about a quarter of a pound of chocolate with apparently no ill affects (other than some serious constipation). IMO better to be safe than sorry.
Like mentioned different kinds of worms need different meds. If your dog gets a cough and it persists this can be a sign of worms, one common variety crawls up the airway and into the stomach, they try to cough them up. Another sign may be a bloated stomach from another type of worm.
I have the Vet check my dogs stool once a year. They periodically try to eat Hedge Hogs that get into the garden, Hedge Hogs are Flea, Tick and worms factories. Bird droppings can have tapeworm or roundworm in them, as can Cow splat (my dogs seem to love the stuff).
Most Dogs carry a parasite load that doesn't seem to hurt them much. intervention is often only necessary when the worms get out of control. Some worms encapsulate and only come out again when a female is lactating, they reproduce using the Dogs own hormones. Parasites seem to be almost impossible to completely eliminate. They only seem to cause problems when the Dog becomes weakened from something else.
I mix a little powdered milk and water, an occasional egg,left over Rice or Noodles, a Bullion cube or some other goodies in with their dry food on occasion. I occasionally change brands. Seems to help keep them interested.
My Mother always swore that Apple Cider Vinegar is a good prophylactic against worms. A lot of people say Vinegar is good for Dogs for various things (mostly skin problems). A spoon full in with the food, never seemed to hurt mine any.
Could be diabetes, usually they drink like crazy and pee a lot.

Be obscure clearly.

Edited by - MudderChuck on 01/05/2011 01:07:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

swampgut
Advanced Member

8930 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of food are you feeding?

Six cups?

How big is your shepherd?

I recommend a very good food with no grain in it.

If you can buy it at a grocery store it isn't worth feeding.

Many feed store brands are crap too.

A good, grain-free dog food is 32-40% protein and 16-20% fat.

Most crap you get at the grocery store is much, much less than that and what they call "protein" is corn based or animal by-products.

I bet if you get your dog a high quality food she will fatten up fine.

The best bang for the buck is called "Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula." It's buffalo and venison with all the extras to make it complete with no grain.

Considering where you live I recommend you get your hands on some Orijen food.

That stuff is the ultimate but I can't justify the shipping costs to get it to me here. You get hungry reading the ingredients because they use human grade meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grasses.

I highly recommend that you give Orijen a try.

If you're curious how your dog food measures up you can look it up at www.dogfoodanalysis.com and click on the reviews.

The best foods are six star and the worst are the one stars.

Most people are surprised how badly the dog food they buy measures up.

Dogs lack the enzyme necessary to break down certain compounds in onions and garlic. Onions are way more dangerous though.

It basically causes premature death to red blood cells.

If they eat too much, too often their bone marrow/spleen won't be able to keep up with the demand for new red blood cells. They will experience shortness of breath, diarrhea, etc.

Edited by - swampgut on 01/05/2011 01:30:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swampgut

Six cups?

Most crap you get at the grocery store is much, much less than that and what they call "protein" is corn based or animal by-products.

The best bang for the buck is called "Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula." It's buffalo and venison with all the extras to make it complete with no grain.

That stuff is the ultimate but I can't justify the shipping costs to get it to me here. You get hungry reading the ingredients because they use human grade meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grasses.

Dogs lack the enzyme necessary to break down certain compounds in onions and garlic. Onions are way more dangerous though.

If they eat too much, too often their bone marrow/spleen won't be able to keep up with the demand for new red blood cells. They will experience shortness of breath, diarrhea, etc.

We use VERY good food with no fillers. We have tried numerous foods.

Taste of the Wild actually had too much protein according to our Vet. It gave her "hot spots" and made her start losing her hair. Our vet said it had too much protein for her...???

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Orijen food. Taste of the Wild was Human grade too.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swampgut

Six cups?

If you're curious how your dog food measures up you can look it up at www.dogfoodanalysis.com and click on the reviews.

The best foods are six star and the worst are the one stars.

Most people are surprised how badly the dog food they buy measures up.

This Orijen food calls for 5.25-6.75 cups a day for large breed puppies. Shepherds aren't full grown until 3 years old.

Go to Top of Page

swampgut
Advanced Member

8930 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ECC

We use VERY good food with no fillers. We have tried numerous foods.

Taste of the Wild actually had too much protein according to our Vet. It gave her "hot spots" and made her start losing her hair. Our vet said it had too much protein for her...???

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Orijen food. Taste of the Wild was Human grade too.

I also seem to remember that GSD's have very sensitive digestive tracts.

Eukanuba makes a food specifically for GSD's but I think they use grain.

Go to Top of Page

MudderChuck
Advanced Member

Germany
3437 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  02:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the dogs I've had that had major food/digestive problems farted a lot.
I've had a couple who were bad eaters. Some I had to feed small amounts multiple times a day. If I just filled up the bowl they'd loose interest. A second dog almost always improves appetite, a little competition works wonders.
Most who had digestive problems benefited from fish protein type foods. Fish and Rice seemed to work well for many.

Be obscure clearly.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15445 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  05:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take your dog to the vet for de-worming...There are many many kinds of parasites a dog can have and "over the counter" meds or "something someone thought up" is NOT going to do the trick..

By the way, garlic is toxic to the dog...it builds up in the system

quote:
Dogs develop hemolytic anemia if they eat enough onions. I don't think that it matters too much whether the onions are cooked or not. The quantity of onions required is high enough that dogs can generally tolerate small doses of onions without any problem and moderate amounts of onion without clinically apparent disease, even though there may be measurable changes on lab test results. Cats are probably a little more sensitive to onion toxicity than dogs are. I can't find an exact quantity of onions required to cause toxicity problems in dogs, but there are several case reports of onion toxicity and they involve whole onions or sizable portions of chopped onions (like a cup or more). I think that feeding dogs meat that has been cooked with onions is pretty safe but you might want to avoid giving them the broth from around something like pot-roast if there were a lot of onions used in the cooking, just to be safe.

Large amounts of garlic will produce similar toxicity problems in both dogs and cats. I think that the amount required is not likely to be eaten by a cat but there are probably a few dogs who would lap up a container of spilled garlic.

Among common foods, the only other significant toxicity that I can think of are recent reports of toxicity from eating grapes and raisins that have been reported in dogs.

Mike Richards, DVM
11/15/2001

Read more: Toxins that Affect Dogs - Veterinary Information

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

21346 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  08:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
onions, garlic, tobacco...now who wants a dog around fartin & burping all three of those....when fido can pop a pill like owner
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26702 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  08:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When using natural treatments for your dog's internal parasites, have your vet run fecal samples after two or three weeks to determine if there is any improvement. The drawback to these treatments is that they take longer to work than anti-parasitic drugs.

According to Dr. Messonier, these treatments are helpful for intestinal parasites but not against heartworm.

Finally, make sure any natural treatments you're considering are safe. Large amounts of garlic may cause anemia.

If a person has to take the animal to the vet to run tests , why not just have the Vet deworm the animal in the first place.?

Go to Top of Page

swampgut
Advanced Member

8930 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  5:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MudderChuck

Most of the dogs I've had that had major food/digestive problems farted a lot.
I've had a couple who were bad eaters. Some I had to feed small amounts multiple times a day. If I just filled up the bowl they'd loose interest. A second dog almost always improves appetite, a little competition works wonders.
Most who had digestive problems benefited from fish protein type foods. Fish and Rice seemed to work well for many.

I have a dog that farts regardless of what I feed him.

I'm not sure what to make of it.

His turds are always solid and he looks fit as a fiddle but he will stink up a house in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'll give the fish based food another try.

Edited by - swampgut on 01/05/2011 5:18:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

bpost

USA
29496 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  5:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Onions and garlic are poison to dogs.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1448&aid=1350

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page