GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 THAMES ARMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SP45

1504 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  11:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I AM TRYING TO FIND INFORMATION ON THAMES ARMS OF NORWICH CONNECTICUT.
WHEN THEY WERE IN BUSINESS AND ARE THEY COLLECTIBLE. THANKS

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15777 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found "THAMES ARMS COMPANY" in my references, but their is a conflict in the location?
My book says it was a trade name used by Harrington & Richardson on hardware/storebrand guns they made. Only fly in the ointment is that H & R was located in Worcester Massachusetts not Norwich Connecticut.
Bunch of other manufactures of these type of guns were located in Norwich though. Crescent Firearms, Davenport Firearms, Hopkins & Allen etc etc. The Norwich area apparently was one of the principal areas for the manufacture of these types of guns.
As to your second question, theirs little collector interest in hardware/storebrand guns. The H & R "hardware" single barrel shotguns are listed in my book at being worth between $40 & $125 depending on condition.
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Database shows THAMES ARMS CO. Norwich, Conn., c. 1907.
Maker of Revolver's...
.22 L.R.R.F., 7 Shot, Double Action, Top Break....In Good Condition is Worth $100.00 to $125.00......

.32 S & W Caliber, 5 shot, Double Action, Top Break.....In Good Condition.....$75.00 to $100.00......

.38 S & W, 5 shot, Double Action, Top Break....In Good Condition...is Worth $75.00 to $100.00....
These were Typically sold thru Mail Order Houses and Hardware Stores..And I sure would'nt go shooting this old pistol without have a Good Gunsmith cheking it out first..........

Just for your information...In the BOOK of American Gun Makers by SATTERLEE and GLUCKMANN, on Page 159...Shows THAMES ARMS Co. Norwich, Conn., as makers of 5-shot Revolvers...
In BALDERSON'Book of ANTIQUE and MODERN Firearms, on Page 570 is Shows THAMES ARMS COMPANY..Same Address as above...Circa 1907...Maker of Top Break Revolvers....
My database shows the same as the above Two listed Scources....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

Edited by - captkirk3@dslextreme.com on 02/12/2003 4:12:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

b.goforth

966 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thames arms co. is a brand name not a manufacturer. this name was used by harrington & richardson and hopkins & allen. top break revolvers with thames arms co. marking are advertizied in the 1895 montgomery wards catalog, which were probably h&a manufactured and h&r came into the picture after h&a closed its doors (my guess).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page