GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 William Moore & Co
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonlo
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  12:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a William Moore & Co side by side, double barreled, dual hammer & trigger shotgun. On top of the barrels it says "Government Tested", "Belgium", "Royal Demascus" and "Choke Bored". It has a 30" barrel. Does anyone have any information on this gun or what it is worth? I cannot find much info on it.

Tonlo

Ned Fall

USA
645 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  6:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second question about a WILLIAM MOORE & CO shotgun today. There were two makers of shotguns with this name. One was actually named William Moore and was English (1854 to 1872) and the other was in Belgium and named Henri Pieper (1871 to 1898). Your gun was made in Belgium. You can confirm this by looking at the bottom of the barrels for Belgian proof marks consisting of the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown on top. I'm sorry but I have no information just when the gun was made or who the importer or seller was. Your gun has many names, a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun, that is a shotgun made by a major maker (before 1940) for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. It is also some times called JABC (Just Another Belgian Clunker), an accident waiting to happen or just a piece of junk. These guns were made sometime between 1880 and 1914 when World War One cut off exports from Europe. The gun was designed and made using the technology and metallurgy of the times and for the ammunition in use then. It will have damascus barrels chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells loaded with black powder and lead shot. It was not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder 3 inch or magnum shells loaded with steel shot. My recommendation is DON'T ATTEMPT TO SHOOT THE GUN!. Value? Value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A prime condition example that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much as $200 while a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a fire place poker might bring $15.

Ned Fall
Go to Top of Page

Madman

657 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  07:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonlo;
Welcome to the forum. Ned has it correct. You need to check out all the proof marks to narrow it down. I have restored two in the past. Both complete basket cases running about $1200 to retore. Have seen only one at a gunshow complete, original, and not as good as the restorations, being tagged, as for sale $1300.
The Damascus barrels will not hold up to present day shells, so the weapon is not much more than a wall hanger. $150 probably the max on worth. Both my restorations were for customers with sentamental value to the weapon and you can not put a value on that.
E-mail me with pics of proof marks and I will try and educate you further.

Paul
Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
Go to Top of Page

tonlo
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  6:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Madman, what's your email address?

Tonlo
Go to Top of Page

Madman

657 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  07:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonlo;
Thought it was in my profile. But here it is again

HDGuns@aol.com. Could see the ones redone at www.mountainmagichouseofcustomsinc.com

Paul
Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page