GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Colt SAA/Cavalry Revolver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOHNW34223
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  7:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two Colt SAA/Calvary 45 cal with serial #s below 8000 both with an "A" and one with an "HN" also one gun has the older style Colt engraving on the top of the barrel, from what I hear these guns have a lot of fakes, I bought four Colt SAA's over 20 years ago from an old timer I was friends with for years who according to his widow was considered one of the "Souths best Colt Experts" but who knows, I would simply like to know what I have and if I may be lucky enough to have a "Custer Gun"
Any advise or info would be appreciated, thanks

jw

JOHNW34223
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  7:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will post pics once I can figure out how to do it.... thanks everyone
John

jw
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15832 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  8:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instructions for posting photos at this link.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13944 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  8:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello John The first Military contract for the Colt SAA was for 8000 pistols. The A is for inspector Ainsworth . It is thought that Custer pistols were between Serial no. 4000-5999 one of the best books on this subject is Colt CAVALRY ARTILLERY and Military Revolvers By Keith Cochran . This is a picture of my Ainsworth proofed first contract pistol

EDIT Hello The pistols started out as CAVALRY models with 7&1/2 inch barrels between 1895and 1903 16,897 guns were sent back to colt to be refurbished and Most had the barrels cut back to 5&1/2 inches. They were then termed "by Colt Collectors " ARTILLERY models most also have mismatched serial numbers .it would behoove you to get a letter on your two pistols. The Cavalry 7&1/2 inch early guns will NOT LETTER as originally shipped but the Colt latter will be available If and when the pistol was sent back to colt . This providence will increase it's value . You can Call Colt and they will tell you for free if they have records of your pistol . I have a letter on my Artillery model. but both Cavalry models are too early to letter . BEWARE there are more FAKE then real Artillery model pistols. ONLY a colt letter can prove if yours is real.

Edited by - perry shooter on 01/30/2011 10:08:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Spider7115

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  8:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "HN" would be US Government Inspector Henry Nettleton, 1876-1880. As far as being a "Custer" gun, I don't know that there is any serial number register of Colts carried by Custer's troops. If anything, your Colts would be referred to as "Pre-Custer" or "Custer Era".

Pictures are definitely needed. We have several Colt experts here so clear, closeups are needed, including ALL markings. Rufe-Snows link shows you how to post them.

-"SPIDER"

ALLAH KA-BAR!

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Edited by - Spider7115 on 01/30/2011 8:42:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

JOHNW34223
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  9:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to get pics on here, they both have been re done by someone with 5 1/2" barrels and mixed serial #s, one is older due to the earlier etching of the Colt hartford etc.. plus what is so interesting the older of the two has some type of notches on it "over 20 of them" like someone was keeping track of kills maybe, anyone heard of anything like that?
pics in a few on both....
Beautiful gun Perry! thanks!

jw
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

3498 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  10:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course "redone by someone" with mixed numbers and 5 1/2 inch barrel is the definition of the Artillery Model. Someone being Colt or Springfield Armory in the 1890s.
If otherwise correct and original, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Spider7115

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  10:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You didn't mention it but I assume both frames are stamped "US" and have walnut stocks.

-"SPIDER"

ALLAH KA-BAR!

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

JOHNW34223
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  10:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, both with walnut grips, here are some pics, hope it works...
http://img191.imageshack.us/g/dscn0065c.jpg/

jw
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15832 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  11:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOHNW34223

Yes, both with walnut grips, here are some pics, hope it works...
http://img191.imageshack.us/g/dscn0065c.jpg/

The moderators will likely lock this topic after 10 responses. Start another one using your same subject header, with #2, after it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page