GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 scam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

20963 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  09:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been looking for another toyo pickup & found one within 90 miles ad on wichita {elsewhere}....responded and had a reply from a so called usaf sgt that was going overseas...also googled pickup lead in cl and found it listed in another town....he wanted to go thru google checkout ?? and i replied no sale....now some one has name, address & cell number but nothing else...sent email to junk box and wondered if i should do anything else for protection...no cc or bank info..just got a step in before bells went off... thanks

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15394 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  11:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
always reply to cslist ad's from a throw away email and provide no information. just a feeler email to establish whether its real or not.

when i was looking for a truck on {elsewhere}, i had a generic form letter i sent out that basically said i was interested, but wasnt going to get to deep into it without first confiriming that it was a real person, selling a real truck for the advertised price and if that was the case, would you please write me back and we can talk about it. sent out 50 or so such emails, got <10 real responses and maybe as many as 20 scam responses.

write up a little note like that and save it. make sure you have a dummy address adn use that for all {elsewhere} business. read the {elsewhere} reccomendations on how to spot a scam. only deal in cash face to face and get paperwork. in mass you need the title to register it anyway, so thats a given. i also want a bill of sale with the sellers information on it. you could go one step farther and id the person selling you the truck and make sure they are the registered owner. if you buy a hot truck, when the police come to talk to you you lose the truck and have to sue the seller for your money back. better to protect yourself. an honest seller shouldnt have a problem showing you that the name on the title matches the name on their license. exceptions could be made for a husband selling his wifes vehicle or vice versa type of thing, but use caution.
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

20963 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  3:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good info....thanks... have bought several items from real people off of cl within about 100 miles...face to face cash OK...wonder about public library for e-mail...their address ????
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page