GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 T. Barker shotgun.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rlamk4

50 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was given a T.Barker double hammer, 32" Belgium laminated steel barrel shotgun as a wall hanger. I know this is a pre 1900 black powder firearm and have no interest in shooting it but would like to know what guage it is? A modern (previously fired) spent 12ga shell seems to fall deeper into the chamber than it does in a modern gun. This gun has many proof marks on the barrel flats and I beleive it to be foreign made. I know cresent used this name later into the 1900's. Could it be a 10ga or made to shoot brass?

Thanks for any info.

nord
Advanced Member

USA
4952 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  1:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Proofs of some combination of "ELG" will verify Belgian origin.

If Belgian, then there will be numbers stamped along with the proofs. These will give you the bore in mm. I don't have the conversions handy but they're readily available.

In my experience if the rim of the 12Ga. drops into the chamber body, then you are probably looking at a 10 Ga. gun.

Nord
Go to Top of Page

rlamk4

50 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  1:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the ELG stamped inside a crown. A 10 over "C" in a triangle and 19.2 stamped in each barrel. Must be 10 ga?
Go to Top of Page

Spider7115

USA
24742 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  1:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Belgian attempt to rip off the venerable "Parker" name.

-"SPIDER"

ALLAH KA-BAR!

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

rlamk4

50 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree it's a cheap imitation. I was looking for information on the guage. These foreign markings on the barrel flats might as well be in Latin. I didn't know and still don't know what they all mean.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

nord
Advanced Member

USA
4952 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  2:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 gauge = .775 inch, 12 gauge = .729

19.2 mm = .75 inch

You thus have a tightly choked 10 Ga.

Nord
Go to Top of Page

babun
Advanced Member

6153 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  2:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The T Barker guns came in laminated and Damascus barrels. If your gun is marked "ROYAL DAMASCUS" on top of the barrels/rib, you have a very high end {for that period} shot gun.
Post some pics please, some of them are engraved nicely. I think they were still imported well after 1906.
Go to Top of Page

Ned Fall

USA
644 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  3:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are two names of T.BARKER. Don't mix them up. First is T. BARKER NEW YORK GENUINE LAMINATED STEEL CHOKE and the second is just T. BARKER. Both are "Trade Brand Name" shotguns. Guns with the first name were made by either Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT or Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works of Fitchberg.MA. These will have no proof marks on the bottom of the barrels. The second was made by one of makers, Theate Freres (Brothers) of Liege Belgium and used on hammer doubles, Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT on hammerless doubles and Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works of Fitchberg.MA on single barrels. Only the Belgian made gun will have proof marks consisting of the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown over that stamped under the barrels. The rim on the shell should stop the shell from falling down into the barrel. Paper, plastic and brass shells are all the same size for the same gauge.except for length. No one here can tell you the gauge of your gun since we can't see it.

Ned Fall
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page