GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Remington 742 or Browning BAR?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JGR2018

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  10:44:54 PM  Show Profile
looking at a older semi-auto 243 cal rifle. looking at the BAR and the Remington 742. I know the BAR has the sexier following, what do the experts think if you compare the two, thanks.

USA
962 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile
the 742 with the 13 locking lugs and the way it recoils into the receiver causes it to chew itself up. unless it is kept very clean. the browning is more reliable, its only problem is when the recoil buffer breaks. which, is a simple replacement. i have worked on far more 742's .
Go to Top of Page

5mmgunguy
Advanced Member

3863 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  09:50:10 AM  Show Profile
The Browning is better. Or the new 7400.

Edited by - 5mmgunguy on 03/27/2011 09:50:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7120 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  10:18:03 AM  Show Profile
JGR2018,

The BAR is the way to go all the way, of the two you selected. You might also wish to look at the Winchester SXR, as it is basically the same as the BAR. The Remington line of the 740, 742, 7400, and the Four are very tempromental , and tend to eat themselves up from the inside out. They must be kept very clean to be any kind of reliable. The bolt, and bolt carrier are harder than the reciever rails, thus they wear out the reciever. Just another example of Remingtons engineering. I am not sure about the Remington 750(the newest rendition of this design), but I would not want to be one to test the longevity of it.

There are several threads/topics related to this subject on here, if you wish to use the search engin to look them up. My Vote goes with the BAR, or Winchester SXR.

Best
Go to Top of Page

wolfpack

242 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  10:28:01 AM  Show Profile
I own both. The bar is by far more accurate and reliable, so the answer to your question is the bar.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

7522 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Our first responce was BAR,,on your topic.,looking for another set of answers,,they will be the same.
Go to Top of Page

edharold

Costa Rica
509 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  3:04:09 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a 742 in 30-06 several years before I started looking at guns as something other than a tool for deer hunting. My brother was more interested and we did a little shooting together. He was using a 1917 American Enfield (I know thats not its official name) and he embarrassed the hell out of me. I then bought a Win model 1917 and started hitting the animals I was shooting at. I don't know about the the BAR but it has to be better than the Remington.

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

7509 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  08:09:08 AM  Show Profile
I've had quite a bit of experience with the 742 and found it to be adequate accuracy wise for most uses-my 06 killed lots of coyotes before I switched from the one gun ideology. I shot 742's in 243 and 6mm that were more accurate than the cheaper grades of bolt actions hanging in most pickup gun racks.
The only contact I've had with the BAR was when 2 guys showed up in elk camp with them and they wouldn't function well enough to get them sighted in. I spent one afternoon tinkering, cleaning, and lubing their rifles so they could hunt the next day. This just shows that the name on the side doesn't mean the individual rifle is good or bad.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7120 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  09:20:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mobuck

I've had quite a bit of experience with the 742 and found it to be adequate accuracy wise for most uses-my 06 killed lots of coyotes before I switched from the one gun ideology. I shot 742's in 243 and 6mm that were more accurate than the cheaper grades of bolt actions hanging in most pickup gun racks.
The only contact I've had with the BAR was when 2 guys showed up in elk camp with them and they wouldn't function well enough to get them sighted in. I spent one afternoon tinkering, cleaning, and lubing their rifles so they could hunt the next day. This just shows that the name on the side doesn't mean the individual rifle is good or bad.

It is quite a simple equation, that nobody gets everything right. However, the Remington's have characteristically been way more problematic than the BAR's. It has nothing to do with a NAME, but rather design. Remington SCREWED the consumer on the 740, 742, Model FouR, and 7400 plain and simple. It is not saying that every Remington is a dud either, but it is more like a 50/50 crap shoot.

Best
Go to Top of Page

tsavo303
Advanced Member

7985 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  6:39:41 PM  Show Profile
not the remington. and i am a remington fan
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19238 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  7:41:37 PM  Show Profile
BAR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page