GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 38 Special Officers Edition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scopa
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  03:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have a 38 Special that was given to me from my uncle. I was wondering if anyone could tell me, A) What it might be worth, B) If it's alright to fire it, and C) If it's ok to shoot, what type of ammo should I look for? I know not to use +P rounds... but that's about it.

Barrel Text:
Colt's PT.F.A.MFG.CO.Hartford.CT USA
PAT'D Aug 5.1884 July 4.1905 Oct 5.1926

Officers Model 38

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

3404 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  06:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You show a Colt Officer's Model Target made sometime between its 1926 patent date and WW II. It is in high excellent condition. The grips are not Colt but are quality aftermarket replacement target stocks. If they are a major name brand of the period, like Ropers, they are very desirable themselves. They LOOK like Ropers but have a plainer checkering pattern than many of his.

I won't guess a value, look at closed auctions and see what you can find for recent sales.

It is certainly safe to fire.
If you don't mind paying a bit extra, midrange wadcutters will give great accuracy.
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13406 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  07:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This pistol was made as a High end Target pistol for bulls-eye shooting . It is in superb condition, You are a Lucky man to receive such a pistol . it is strong enough for +p but not recommended . It will cause more wear and tear.& reduce the life of target grade accuracy. You don't go Mud Bogging in a Lamborghini
Go to Top of Page

1KYDSTR

USA
2318 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  10:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesus Wept! DON'T SHOOT IT! PLEASE! There isn't even a drag line around the lock-up notches on the cylinder...I think it either IS or could be marketed as UNFIRED! Ask your Uncle if he ever fired it befor doing so. It's a safe queen in my view . Value of around $1200 to $1500 if I have it ID'ed right. WOW...your uncle must really like you! Mine gave me a Mossberg bolt action; still nice of him, but I think he liked me a lot less than your uncle likes you!?!?!

EDIT#1: Really, I have to agree with Chief Hebbard here. There just IS NO DRAG LINE, and that will excite most Colt's collectors to a near Must state. I have seen blued Pyton collectors pieces in stores that were clearly marked on the guns tag "UNFIRED...DO NOT DRY FIRE OR COCK" that had a more pronounced drag line. Can't really comment on the grips although they certainly are well done. You have a gem there. I am of the same opinnion that a gun sitting in your safe is a sad thing if it is not fired at least once a year...then again, I don't own anything I would say is in that pristine a condition. All the edges on the metal are just as sharp as a razor, no high edge blueing wear, the stampings are distinct and un-buggered. Either this thing is THE BEST 38 Officers I have ever seen, or someone out there is a master refinisher.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
"When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
"History is written by winners"(Patton)
"You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
"There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
“Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you. Be afraid of nothing. There is such a little time…” Richard Halliburton

Edited by - 1KYDSTR on 03/26/2011 4:00:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Knifecollector
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  11:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with 1KYDSTR, the first thing I noticed was the lack of a turn line on the cylinder. I'd try to find an original Officers box to put it in and keep it in the safe.
Go to Top of Page

Scopa
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  1:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reply's! It certainly HAS been fired, but always carefully cleaned shortly afterwards.

I feel like it's kind of sad to keep a weapon and never fire it, so I'd like to be able to give it an annual workout of 12-24 rounds.

Interesting note about the grips, I didn't know they were aftermarket, but it's nice to hear that they are still considered good grips.

I was going to give it a workout this weekend, but perhaps I'll keep it in the box.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11171 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  1:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scopa

Thank you for the reply's! It certainly HAS been fired, but always carefully cleaned shortly afterwards.

I feel like it's kind of sad to keep a weapon and never fire it, so I'd like to be able to give it an annual workout of 12-24 rounds.

Interesting note about the grips, I didn't know they were aftermarket, but it's nice to hear that they are still considered good grips.

I was going to give it a workout this weekend, but perhaps I'll keep it in the box.

Thanks again!

If 'the box' as you mention, is distinctly Colt marked, there's an excellent chance it's the original box as shipped from the factory for the gun. Collector's dream!! (Further support to not shooting it)
Best, Joe

Go to Top of Page

62fuelie

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  1:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I carried one of these when I first went into law enforcement. They are/were a carefully built target grade revolver fully competitive with the S&W K-38. They are strong, but I have to agree with the recommendation that +p be avoided as it puts uncalled for added strain on the system. Has it been reblued? I can't understand a revolver being fired to any extent without developing a drag line between the locking notches. If you really just want a shooter you might consider selling this to a collector and buying a S&W 686 which will gobble up most anything on your store's shelves and can be just as accurate as the Officer's Model Match. Plus, you'll have nearly $1k to put aside.

B
Go to Top of Page

EVILDR235
Advanced Member

2916 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  8:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a damn fine Colt.

XXXXXX

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
12956 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  8:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scopa

Hello, I have a 38 Special that was given to me from my uncle. I was wondering if anyone could tell me, A) What it might be worth, B) If it's alright to fire it, and C) If it's ok to shoot, what type of ammo should I look for? I know not to use +P rounds... but that's about it.

Nice gun.

Very little to add at this point to the above, but a quick search shows that an excellent condition gun not that dissimilar yours sold recently on the auction site here for about $1200. See auction # 217741745

With the original box, the one you have could well be worth more (perhaps $200+) to a collector.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page