GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 J-B Weld Stock Bedding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bambambam
Advanced Member

USA
3935 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  11:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was browsing a bunch of reloading suppliers tonight looking for sale items and stumbled apon an idea. I saw that suppliers were selling J-B Weld to bed stocks. I did a search and found a forum where someone had illustrated doing a Ruger Hawkeye in .308 Win. Has anyone tried bedding a rifle with J-B Weld, and results?

www.24hourcampfire.com

CapnMidnight
Advanced Member

USA
6127 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  02:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no clue, I've used Accra Glass for more years than I care to remember, with great results. I use it for stock repair, and many other uses, it's a very versital product. In my neck of the woods it's refered to as "hot cake syrup", we use it for everything, and probably put it on our hot cakes in the morning.
W.D.
Go to Top of Page

zimmden

240 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  07:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used J-B to set pillars and reinforce recoil lugs but not bedding. I think it would be too thick to flow into areas needing bedding.
Go to Top of Page

Rocky Raab
Advanced Member

USA
4458 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  10:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure it would work, but the first time you missed a spot with release agent would be the last time you had that rifle apart!
Go to Top of Page

the middle
Troll

3869 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  5:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive never used JB weld, but I have used Arcaglas on a few wooden stocks. I use SC Johnson paste wax rather than the release agent that comes with the Brownell kit. A old timer at the local gunshop told me this. It works great! He told me I would have nothing but trouble with the release agent, but I have never tried it to verify that.

While on the subject, has anyone ever Acraglas bedded a sythetic stock?

Im thinking of doing this, and would be thankful for any pointers.

I thought it worth a try for the price of a kit ($21) over the price of a replacement Remington 700 stock (anywere from $100 to $500+).

If anyone has done this, plaease let me know the results.

Thank You,

Middle

"The question isnt are you paranoid, the question is, are you paranoid enough!"
Go to Top of Page

35 Whelen
Advanced Member

USA
10971 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  02:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got two rifles that my grandfather bedded and set pillars with J-B Weld. Watched him do both rifles. I can honestly say that it holds up just as well as Acraglas, and flows just as easily too.

To reinforce what Rocky already hinted at, don't be stingy with the release agent.

Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

7595 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  07:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The JB might be slightly heavier and thicker than Acra Glass. I second what Rocky said. I have an 03A3 that has the scope bases attached with JB weld and it has been used from 0* to 100* F w/o popping the bases off from recoil or handling. I've had Acra Glass bedding mistakes that came loose when frozen and whacked with a mallet but I doubt it would be that easy with JB.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

Okie743

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  11:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the middle

Ive never used JB weld, but I have used Arcaglas on a few wooden stocks. I use SC Johnson paste wax rather than the release agent that comes with the Brownell kit. A old timer at the local gunshop told me this. It works great! He told me I would have nothing but trouble with the release agent, but I have never tried it to verify that.

Im thinking of doing this, and would be thankful for any pointers.

I thought it worth a try for the price of a kit ($21) over the price of a replacement Remington 700 stock (anywere from $100 to $500+).

If anyone has done this, plaease let me know the results.

Thank You,

Middle

You asked this!

Yep! Do it all the time! Have done several of the bolt action synthetics of most all calibers, including magnums! I use Brownells Acraglass gel and use a reverse dovetail taper dremil bit and small drill bit, so as to lock in the glass to the stock. I've never had any issues do such! Some ask, why glass bad a synethic. I do it to float the barrel and for accuracy consistency, and this allows me to remove and re-install a stock and the gun still shoots to the same point on the target or animal!
Several of the synthetics are hollow at the barrel channel area therefore requiring more glass material as compared to a wooden stock! Also be careful when clamping a synethic stock because some (most) have a hollow stock and can be cracked if clamped too tight!

Arkie

Edited by - Okie743 on 04/14/2011 11:53:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page