GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Stevens ( Savage) Model 15-A
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigbossman

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  9:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During what years was the Stevens ( Savage ) Model 15-A made? It is a single shot bolt action using .22 S,L, or LR and the firing mechanism has to be pulled back by hand after chambering the round.
It has three ( 3 ) Patent numbers on the barrel without dates and no serial number anywhere. I pulled the barrel and the bolt - no serial numbers under there either. Thanks for your time.......

Fight Crime - Shoot Back!
Most citizens are totally unprepared to defend themselves !
Even the Apostles carried Swords........

Ned Fall

USA
645 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  12:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the Blue Book of Gun Values, the Stevens/Springfield Model 15/120 was made from 1936 to 1971. Before the Gun Control Act of 1968, there was no requirement for serial numbers on inexpensive .22 caliber rifles and many manufacturers did not use them. Also for your use here are the suggested values for this gun
100%-$200, 98%-$185, 95%-$165, 90%-$135. 80%-$115. 70%-$95 and 60%-$80.
The percentage figure is for the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood and it assumes that the gun is in a safe mechanical condition. Thousands of these little rifles were sold as "Trade Brand Name guns by Sears, Montgomery Ward, J.C. Penny, Cotter & Company and others.

Ned Fall
Go to Top of Page

bigbossman

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  04:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks and God Bless............

Fight Crime - Shoot Back!
Most citizens are totally unprepared to defend themselves !
Even the Apostles carried Swords........
Go to Top of Page

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8336 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  09:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were 2 basic configurations. The early models were very simplistic and had 22" barrels. In 1948, the barrels were lengthened to 24" . And the stock redesigned to a more robust configuration. The 15-A falls in the later group.

I walk away from auto-flush toilets like movie stars walk away from explosions.....
Go to Top of Page

BigLoop22

USA
579 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  11:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bigbossman,

As Fatstrat said, the early rifles, the "15", were different. They were actually more like a "youth"-style rifle, being shorter, with less wood, and no buttplate. I cannot guarantee that my memory is correct, but I recall that the last year that the "15-A" was made was 1963. I believe that after 1963, the model designation became "15-B".

BigLoop22
---------------------------------

Hunt101 Photo Complete "img" Links:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page