GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Aero Precision 223/5.56 AR 15 16" New AR15
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BowGunHunter

111 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  11:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was looking through the auction side and came across these. Great price for a good looking AR but does anyone know about the quality? Has anyone got to handle one of these?

The old saying, "you get what you pay for" comes to mind but I thought someone would have a field report. Thanks for your time.

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12595 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  03:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you do.
For AR upper and lower receivers I'd only buy forged 7075 aluminum for highest aluminum properties.
I'm not sure but believe these are 6061T6.
The difference will show as receiver holes wear early and if and when the frame is dropped or impacted.
I've straightened Army small arms receivers that received shellfire.
Cast parts haven't the malleability of forged parts and would likely break.

Edited by - v35 on 05/15/2011 8:46:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

7526 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  07:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The aero precision lowers have been advertised at fairly low prices. I don't know if the company makes a complete rifle or if the one mentioned is shop built which would affect resale. The assembling of a lower is a straight forward, simple mechanical operation and actually has little effect on the usefulness of the completed firearm. I can assemble the parts in about 15 minutes and my blind son did one in about 1/2 hour with minimal assistance-mainly identifying the springs and pins. The upper is a little more involved and has a greater effect on the accuracy and durability potential fo the rifle but, once the barrel is screwed into the extension and headspaced, the assembly of the upper is basically following some simple steps.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5332 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  08:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aero Precision along with a couple other companies like Del-Ton were doing lowers for the big brand names. The 'election scare' had everyone ramping up production like no yesterday. Six months later there was a glut on the market. The brand namer's opted to not take in all the lowers from their sub-contractors. So, they named them themselves and are selling them.

I have three Aero-precision lowers and they are great.

Edit: FWIW, they were the ones who were making the lowers for Spike.

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.

Edited by - sandwarrior on 05/12/2011 09:03:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

CDMead

2275 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used Aero Precision lowers on builds and have a couple in the safe because the price was too hard to pass up.

I've never had any trouble making a good build off one of their lowers. I do not, however, believe they ever made complete rifles.

IMHO, I wouldn't purchase a complete rifle unless I knew what other components were used. There are too many people who will cut costs by using bad parts.

Just so you know, by the time I'm done building a rifle, it really isn't any cheaper than buying a complete rifle. I just seem to enjoy the process and have more pride of ownership. YMMV.
Go to Top of Page

quickmajik
Advanced Member

USA
18444 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  8:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like they took over Eagle arms. thats just a guess, but they are offering Armalite stuff relabeled as well as propertary stuff.

Go to Top of Page

BowGunHunter

111 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  12:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it appears it is a build by someone else with upper and lower parts. Here is the gun in question. Any problem with a build like this? Or should I go with a complete manufactured gun? ie...Bushmaster or DPMS?

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=229096584
Go to Top of Page

CDMead

2275 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  10:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy's got good feedback.

One thing you will need if you buy this rifle is sights. There are no front or rear sights included. A quality set of sights from Yankee Hill Machine costs $207 (per their webiste) and they're out of stock. If you buy an electronic sight, a good one will run $500.

Once you add in the sights, $650 for the rifle isn't so much of a bargain anymore, IMHO. Plus all the options will drive you nuts. Don't ask how I know.

Good luck. In the end it's your money.

Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5332 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2011 :  11:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BowGunHunter

Yes, it appears it is a build by someone else with upper and lower parts. Here is the gun in question. Any problem with a build like this? Or should I go with a complete manufactured gun? ie...Bushmaster or DPMS?

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=229096584

$650 is a really decent deal for that set-up. Unless YOU have to have brand name. So far, I've used a bunch of different name brands together and they haven't failed me yet.

As far as the sights, you can go with the standard A2 carry handle and a non pop-up front sight and it won't be $200. More like, $100 for open sights. And if you want a scope you don't have to spend $500. For a holograph sight you can spend $150, not $600, and get a good one. Scopes and holograms are their own story, personally.

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.

Edited by - sandwarrior on 05/14/2011 12:18:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

CDMead

2275 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  10:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$40 carry handles are cheap ChiCom crap. Personal experience has caused me to recommend buying the $85 carry handles from a reputable supplier.

Again, the $100 reflex sights won't withstand a SHTF situation. A lot of them are made for Airsoft.

In the world of AR, you do get what you pay for, and if you plan on using something to protect yourself, be prepared to pay for peace of mind.

If you're just going to be plinking and really know that, then buy the cheap junk and just be prepared for intermittent bouts of total frustration.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page