GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 J frame square butt laser grips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gretch78
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  6:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a model 36 S&W J frame SQUARE BUTT and I am trying to find a laser grip for this - can only fin ROUND BUTT . Crimson trace says they do not make one. This is a former police gun, I can;t believe that there has never been a laser grip for this....help.

dcs shooters
Advanced Member

Turkmenistan
10939 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  7:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As they are the only ones making them, you are SOL

Dick
NRA Endowment Member

Don't mess with old guys. they are too old to fight, too fat to run, so their only choice is to kill you.

You can't fix STUPID, but you can vote it OUT !!!!

If Obama is the answer, it is a very stupid question!

OBAMA, HE'S OUR NUMBER ONE GUN SALESMAN !!

quote:
Political Correctness is a doctorine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by a mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13156 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  8:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gretch78

I have a model 36 S&W J frame SQUARE BUTT and I am trying to find a laser grip for this - can only fin ROUND BUTT . Crimson trace says they do not make one. This is a former police gun, I can;t believe that there has never been a laser grip for this....help.

Like this one? Note the characteristic round wear spot on the frame, from the NYPD mandatory issue concealed carry holster:

The reason you're probably having trouble finding a laser for your square butt J frame is because Smith discontinued J-frame square butts at least 10 years before lasers became cheap and popular!

Anyway, at about $30 this might work for you, and you can hang anything you want off your J-frame (light, laser, bayonet, tripod ):
http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Gun_Sight_Accessories/Revolvers/ADP-S637-140.html

If you crave a slightly less ugly solution, I think you probably *can* put a round butt grip on a square butt frame, it will just require modifying the grips, frame, or both. How ugly this gets depends on what you're trying to fit on there, but I bet if you used something with one of the closed-backstrap designs it might work pretty well.

Also, at one point B-square made some sort of laser that fit in front of the frame for J-frames. You might find one.

Edited by - beantownshootah on 05/13/2011 8:14:20 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page