GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 22 magnum vs 22 wrf
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

golferboy426

1133 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is the difference? I thought you should not shoot a magnum in a chamber marked 22 wrf

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

3501 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  09:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should not. If the WRF chamber is cut right, you could not.
But you can shoot WRFs in a WRM just like Specials in a Magnum.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15836 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  12:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This always got me confused to. There is a difference in overall length between 22 mag and 22 wrf of approximately 3/16 of a inch, i.e. you can't get a mag in a 22 wrf chamber because it's .180 to long. Problem is that over the years a lot of shade tree gunsmiths have opened up guns chambered for the wrf to be able to fire the longer mag cartridge. Depending on the gun this could be very unhealthy situation for the shooter.

Go to Top of Page

1KYDSTR

USA
2328 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  5:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just throwing this out there as I have no access to my books, but isn't the WRF an INSIDE heel lubricated and the WMR OUTSIDE? I thought there was a slight dimensional difference in the nominal bore diameter as a result? Could you guys straigten me out on this one? Sort of a weak spot in my knowledge and have been curious for some time.
EDIT #1: Um, getting a pretty serious deja-vue feeling here...I think you said that to me the last time I asked that silly question. I generally don't check out the rimfire posts...not really my cup of tea as it were. Anyway, sorry to have ruffled feathers.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
"When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
"History is written by winners"(Patton)
"You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
"There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
“Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you. Be afraid of nothing. There is such a little time…” Richard Halliburton

Edited by - 1KYDSTR on 05/15/2011 7:46:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10919 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  6:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1KYDSTR

Just throwing this out there as I have no access to my books, but isn't the WRF an INSIDE heel lubricated and the WMR OUTSIDE? I thought there was a slight dimensional difference in the nominal bore diameter as a result? Could you guys straigten me out on this one? Sort of a weak spot in my knowledge and have been curious for some time.

The WRF is identical to the WMR except for OAL and pressure. It is the 22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle that are inside heel lubricated.

We have idscussed this at least 2-dozen times in the past several years... the 22 WRF can be safely fired in any firearm factory chambered for the 22 WMR, as it is essentially the same as shooting a 22 Short in a 22 Long Rifle.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page