GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 What is a COLT BB series ....and why ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jagsport

89 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  5:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Colt .45ACP has a been made with a split barrel bushing. I had one on my National Match Gold Cup ...but I see a standad 1911A1 has a BB series disignation on the frame. What does this mean and how can it be listed as a Curio Relic if produced in the 1970's.
Thanks

givette
Advanced Member

11185 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  7:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OY VEY!! I had my Colt Series mixed up! Thanks for the correction, Perry Shooter! Best, Joe (egg on face)

From my recollection* they were produced in limited numbers, as the new series were being tooled up for production at the same time as the 'BB' series.

Now, C&R? For a gun less than forty years old to qualify for C&R status, a determination will have to be made by ATF vis-a-vis the unique quality, or rarity. It will take a pro-active submission to ATF to ask them to evaluate. Best, Joe
*needs confirmation

EDIT
Below is a page taken (PDF File) from the ATF website. It appears that the firearm being discussed in this post is in fact eligible to be handled as a Curio and Relic firearm. Best again, Joe

Colt, Fort Scott, .22 (Kansas Series-Forts).
Colt, Fort Stephenson (Ohio) sesquicentennial, .22.
Colt, Fourth model Derringer, cal. .22 short rimfire, cased as a set of two pistols in a leather book
titled "Colt Derringer, Limited Edition Colt, General George Meade, Pennsylvania, by
Colt," on the spine of the book and "A Limited Edition by Colt," on the cover.
Colt, Forty-Niner Miner, .22.
Colt, General George Meade, Pennsylvania Campaign, .22 and .45.
Colt, General Hood, Tennessee Campaign Centennial, .22.
Colt, General John Hunt Morgan, Indiana Raid, .22.
Colt, General Nathan Bedford Forrest, .22.
Colt, Geneseo (Illinois) 125th Anniversary, Derringer, .22.
Colt, Golden Spike Centennial, .22.
Colt, Government model pistols in cal. .45 ACP, BB series.
Colt, H. Cook, "1 to 100," .22/.45.
Colt, Idaho Territorial Centennial, .22.
Colt, Indiana Sesquicentennial, .22.
Colt, J frame, Officers model Match, .38 Special revolver mfd. from 1970-1972, identified by J S/N
prefix.
Colt, Joaquin Murrieta, "1 of 100," .22/.45.
Colt, John M. Browning Commemorative, .45 cal., semiautomatic pistol, S/Ns JMB 0001 – JMB
3000, and numbers GAS O JMB, PE CEW JMB, and 0003JMB.
Colt, John Wayne, Commemorative, .45 long Colt caliber revolver.
Colt, Kansas Centennial, .22.
Colt, Lightning model double action revolver, any cal. mfd. between 1899 and 1909.
Colt, Lightning rifles mfd. in 1899 through 1904.
Colt, Lord and Lady Derringer, .22 cal., as mfd. by Colts Patent Firearms Manufacturing Co.,
Hartford, CT.
Colt, Los Angeles Police Department (L.A.P.D.) Special Edition .45 cal. Government model
semiautomatic pistol.
Colt, Maine Sesquicentennial, .22 and .45.
Colt, Mark IV, Government Model, commemorative "Michigan State Police 60th Anniversary, 1917-
1977." The left side of slide engraved with scroll pattern and depicts 4 modes of
transportation; Horse, Motorcycle, Auto and Helicopter S/Ns 1 to 1608.
Colt, Match Target Woodsman Semiautomatic Pistol, cal. .22LR., S/N 128866S, owned by Ernest
Hemingway.
Colt, Meuse Argonne, .45 Pistol, (World War I Series).
Colt, Missouri Sesquicentennial single action army .45 caliber.
Colt, Missouri Sesquicentennial, .22.
Colt, Mk IV Series 70 semiautomatic pistols in all cals., which were incorrectly marked at the factory
with both Colt Government model markings and Colt Commander markings.
Colt, model 1873 Peacemaker Centennial 1973, single action revolver, .44/.40 or .45.
Colt, model 1900 semiautomatic pistol, cal. .38, in original configuration.
Colt, model 1902 semiautomatic pistol, military model, cal. .38, in original configuration.
Colt, model 1902 semiautomatic pistol, sporting model, cal. .38, in original configuration.
Colt, model 1903 Pocket (exposed hammer), semiautomatic pistol cal. .38 ACP.
Colt, model 1903 Pocket (hammerless), semiautomatic pistol, cal. .32.
Colt, model 1908 Pocket (hammerless), semiautomatic pistol, cal. .380.
Colt, model 1908, cal. .25 ACP, hammerless semiautomatic pistol, having a grip safety, in S/N range 1
Colt, model 1911, commercial semiautomatic pistols, cal. .45 ACP, S/Ns Cl - C130000.
Colt, model 1911-A, commercial model, in cal. .45 and bearing Egyptian inscription meaning police,
on the upper forward right-hand side of the trigger guard and having S/Ns within the range
of C186000 to C188000.
Colt Model “Courier” double action revolver, .32 caliber, with 3-inch barrel.
Colt Model “Marshal” double action revolver, .38 special caliber, 2-inch and 4-inch barrels.
Colt, 50th Anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge, Model 1911A1, .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol,
having S/Ns between BB001 and BB300.
Page 20

Edited by - givette on 06/13/2011 8:27:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13837 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  7:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Either Joe is confused or I am . "Would not be the first time for me" I have always thought the BB series were Transition between the Post WW II late 1968-1969 pistols and before the series 70 .
Go to Top of Page

gary wray
Advanced Member

USA
5522 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  10:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jagsport.......Perry Shooter and Givette have it right. The bb designation with the two small "bb" on the slide under the serial number indicated special barrel and bushing from the factory. It was a pre-1970 interim limited production at the Colt factory before the full 1970 production got cranked up. Somewhere around 1100 or so of these were produced. I have one also and love it! Don't think it qualifies for C&R.

harperwv
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15752 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  5:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have the specific URL for the BATF C & R web site. You could probably find it with a GOOGLE search though. If someone has gone thru the process of requesting and obtaining C & R status for the limited production "B B" colts made during the early 70's, they will be listed on on the site. Since they are less then 50 years old, that's the only way they could be C & R qualified.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page