GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Root killer--copper sulfate...septic?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tapwater
Advanced Member

9037 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  1:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...I use copper sulfate in my sump pump pits to keep tree roots from invading them. They run into field tiles. There is a row of willow trees at the edge of my septic field that I'm sure must be getting into the tiles. My question is, will copper sulfate kill the microbes that keep the septic tank working? I treat it with Rid-X or something similar on a regular basis, but I'd hate to kill off all the good bacteria.
...I can get copper sulfate at a decent price in 50# bags. Lots cheaper than buying the little bottles at Farm & Fleet.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.******

"Send lawyers, guns and money"

jeffb1911

USA
1956 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  2:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to a professional plumbing supply store. They will have not only the proper copper sulfate crystal mix, but also a much better bacteria culture to deal with. I used to sell Microbe Lift, and that worked, there was a copper sulfate crystal mix that did not interfere with the bacteria that i sold also, but do not remember what it was.

In GOD we trust-all others get run through NCIC

Please see my auctions:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=62079
Go to Top of Page

Marc1301
Advanced Member

USA
29792 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  2:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of oaks around here, and am on a septic system as well.
I put a riser in after the tank and the D box, but before the drain field.

That's where I put the copper sulfate in.
Just throwing an idea out there for you!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

"Beam me up Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here." William Shatner
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

USA
35702 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  2:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could always cut down the trees in your drain field area... just a thought.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

LesWVa
Advanced Member

7418 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  2:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

That will only cause the type of Willows he is speaking of to spread like wildfire. Cutting them will not kill of the root system and prevent it from entering a leach pipe.

If it is the type that I am thinking of that grows along the edges of swampy marsh land here. They only grow about 8 to 12 feet high and about the size of a 50 cent piece in dia. I have seen people use them to make crafts and furniture with such as chairs and tables.

Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

21219 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  3:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does your leach field drain down or up??...at home in sandy soil it is down...at the lake place where we put a new & bigger system it is up due to a short depth of topsoil with grass & then impermeable clay on top of sandstone...now a willow tree that uses lots of water planted at the far perimeter should prove a benefit during growing season ..lake uses tall plastic domes, 4 rows off of a trunk line & i am not familiar with tiles
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

Japan
11250 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  3:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Copper will kill plants and microbes. Then it'll keep on killing in the tank and the lawn.
Go to Top of Page

bayl778

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  4:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put copper sufate in the pump (dosing) tank to the drain field. I have been advised that putting it in the septic tank does little good for root kill and may interfer with septic bacteria. I have a very large Bald Cypress 20 feet from the end of my drain field.

You can't learn any younger!
Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9037 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  4:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc1301

I have a lot of oaks around here, and am on a septic system as well.
I put a riser in after the tank and the D box, but before the drain field.

That's where I put the copper sulfate in.
Just throwing an idea out there for you!

...I wish that I had that option. The only way to get the sulfate into the leach field is dump it into the tank or flush it down the toilet. The willows are a hybrid that can grow several feet per year. Not weeping willows or the hybrid that only lives 7-8 years. I had those and sure enough, they were dead in about 7 years. These are supposed to live 30+ years. They make a great wind break and snow "fence" in the winter.
...If the copper sulfate will keep on killing the good microbes, I don't know what option I have. I've been using the crystals dissolved in water, but I can get a feed grade powder. It may not sink to the bottom of the septic tank and keep on killing. Maybe add it and flush the tank with lots of water to move it into the leach field, then dose the tank with a fresh batch of bacteria? Just guessing here.

Go to Top of Page

we_dig_it
Advanced Member

Djibouti
6744 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  4:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tapwater, I have installed septics for 24 years for a living.

Flush the copper sulfate down the toilet.

Dont waste your money on Rid-ex, the best thing to promote bacteria growth is plain old yeast. Flush it down the toilet as well.

Most septics should be pumped every 7 to 8 years. Very few need anything to "maintain" or promote bacteria growth. But there is nothing wrong with using yeast. Just dont waste your money on Rid-ex.

Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9037 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  5:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...Just got off the phone with the septic company that I've used for years. Lacking a place to dump the sulfate downstream of the tank, he said to go ahead and flush it down the toilet, then run LOTS of water to clear it from the tank. It's a 1,000 gal. tank, so I was thinking about running near that much water to clear it. Then dose the tank with microbes (yeast or Rid-Ex). we_dig_it, I will use yeast, but since I already have Rid-Ex and Roebic, I guess it can't hurt anything.

Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

19860 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  8:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Copper sulfate is toxic to all life and does not degrade.

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Go to Top of Page

allen griggs
Advanced Member

USA
27098 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  11:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using this stuff for 3 years with good results.

http://www.amazon.com/Roebic-FRK-6-Foaming-Killer-1-Pound/dp/tags-on-product/B000BQM5DS
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12321 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  11:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LesWVa

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

That will only cause the type of Willows he is speaking of to spread like wildfire. Cutting them will not kill of the root system and prevent it from entering a leach pipe.

If it is the type that I am thinking of that grows along the edges of swampy marsh land here. They only grow about 8 to 12 feet high and about the size of a 50 cent piece in dia. I have seen people use them to make crafts and furniture with such as chairs and tables.

True. But if you girdle the trees, they wont grow runners.
Go to Top of Page

we_dig_it
Advanced Member

Djibouti
6744 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  9:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tapwater

...Just got off the phone with the septic company that I've used for years. Lacking a place to dump the sulfate downstream of the tank, he said to go ahead and flush it down the toilet, then run LOTS of water to clear it from the tank. It's a 1,000 gal. tank, so I was thinking about running near that much water to clear it. Then dose the tank with microbes (yeast or Rid-Ex). we_dig_it, I will use yeast, but since I already have Rid-Ex and Roebic, I guess it can't hurt anything.

Tapwater, the Rid-ex will work, I didnt mean to imply that it wouldnt. There is just no reason to pay what they want for it when yeast will do the same thing for alot less money.

Go to Top of Page

LesWVa
Advanced Member

7418 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  10:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by we_dig_it

Tapwater, the Rid-ex will work, I didnt mean to imply that it wouldnt. There is just no reason to pay what they want for it when yeast will do the same thing for alot less money.

Add a little sugar to that yeast and by the time it runs out the end of the leach pipe you will be able to bottle something close to Budwiser or Coors Lite.
Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9037 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  10:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

Add a little sugar to that yeast and by the time it runs out the end of the leach pipe you will be able to bottle something close to Budwiser or Coors Lite.
[/quote]

... I thought they just hold a funnel under the Clydesdales.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page