GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 TC Contender 35 Remington ammo
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbaumer
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2011 :  8:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Picked up a Contender with 44 mag and 35 remington barrels. I am not familiar with the 35. In discussing this cartridge with the former owner I made the remark that the casing was necked down. He assured me it was not but was rather straight such as say a .357 magnum pistol cartridge.

Well, I went ammo shopping today and every brand I found all looked like this:

In searching the net, this is all I find for this cartridge except in 150 gr and 200 gr varieties.

Is the cartridge pictured above indeed what I need to be shooting out of my TC Contender 35 Remington Super 16 barrel?

Thanks.

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6574 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2011 :  9:23:09 PM  Show Profile
That's the stuff - with a 16" barrel, are you shooting it as a handgun or long gun?

I think most T/C devotees at some point have had the 35 Remington, it's sort of a rite of passage from casual use of the T/C to going over the edge. It used to be the "big recoil" caliber in the T/C pistol. It's been about 35 years since I first fired the 35 Remington from a T/C pistol and I have alot of T/C barrels, but I still remember the big push from the 35.

dsf
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

9022 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2011 :  9:27:43 PM  Show Profile
bbaumer,

If you did indeed buy the .35 Remington barrel, that is the cartridge to shoot.

".35 Remington

Introduced in 1906 in the Remington Model 8 autoloading rifle, the .35 Remington is one of the few pure woods cartridges that can be considered successful. In addition to the Model 8, this excellent cartridge was once available in Remington Models 81, 14, 141, 720, 600, and 760, as well as the Winchester Model 70, Standard Arms Models G and M, the Mossberg Model 472 and a slide action rifle once made by Savage. Presently available in the Marlin Model 336 lever action, Remington Model Seven KS bolt action and the Remington XP-100 and T/C Contender handguns, the .35 Remington is still a favorite of those who believe it kills deer and black bear quicker than the .30-30 Winchester. Whether or not this is true is the stuff classic campfire debates are made of.

Even today the .35 Remington is second only to the .30-30 in popularity among those who prefer to head for the woods with a short lever action carbine hanging from their shoulders. Many years ago the .35 Remington was used on bigger game, but it is seen at its best when used on deer, black bear, and wild boar at ranges not exceeding 150 yards or so. At greater distances, the little .35 is handicapped by its moderate velocity and moderate accuracy from most of the rifles in which it has been available. However, when fired in a bolt action rifles such as the Winchester Model 70, Remington Model 600, and Remington Model Seven FS, the .35 Remington is as accurate a cartridge of similar caliber.

Possibly the most outstanding whitetail load for the .35 Remington, one that rivals the .300 Savage in performance is the Speer 180 grain flatnose bullet pushed to 2300 fps by H335 or Bl-C(2). For black bear and boar, the 200 grain roundnose bullets available from Remington, Sierra, and Hornady and the 220 grain flatnose bullet made by Speer are excellent choices."

Source: Hodgdon Data Manual, 26th Edition

Best.

Go to Top of Page

bbaumer
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2011 :  9:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply.

The gun came with a rifle stock as well so I will likely give both a try.

It is legal to use this round for deer hunting where I live (Indiana) as a pistol cartridge but not as a rifle cartridge so I will more than likely use it as a pistol. Who knows though. I haven't fired it yet. Gonna see how the 44 mag feels compared to a Super RedHawk. I expect quite different.

Wonder where the previous owner came up with the straight casing remark. He claimed to have shot the 35 quite a bit.
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6574 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2011 :  9:36:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bbaumer

Thanks for the reply.

It is legal to use this round for deer hunting where I live (Indiana) as a pistol cartridge but not as a rifle cartridge so I will more than likely use it as a pistol. Who knows though. I haven't fired it yet. Gonna see how the 44 mag feels compared to a Super RedHawk. I expect quite different.

Wonder where the previous owner came up with the straight casing remark. He claimed to have shot the 35 quite a bit.

Maybe he just misspoke and was thinking of the 44 Magnum case.

BTW, if your 44 Magnum barrel is fewer than 16" buy a handgun grip (if you don't already have one) for the Contender too, otherwise all that federal SBR stuff rears its head.

dsf
Go to Top of Page

bbaumer
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2011 :  9:40:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dfletcher

quote:
Originally posted by bbaumer

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe he just misspoke and was thinking of the 44 Magnum case.

BTW, if your 44 Magnum barrel is fewer than 16" buy a handgun grip (if you don't already have one) for the Contender too, otherwise all that federal SBR stuff rears its head.

Yep. 10" barrel and I do have a handgun grip. A couple different types. Got two sets of handgun grips and forends. The rifle stock, and both barrels for $470. Thought it was an OK deal considering everything is in really good shape. Not a steal but OK deal.
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7157 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  04:35:53 AM  Show Profile
bbaumer,

One thing to remember with the earlier 35 Remington barrels for sure, and possibly the newer ones, in 35 Remington....

The 35 Remington was originally designed to be used in semi-automatic, and some slide action rifles, which had a rotating breech bolt. This bolt would cam closed, and take up the head space. The TC Contender is a fixed breach, break open action. Quite often, the ammunition manufacturers run the 35 Remington ammunition t the bottom side of the tolerance, to help aid in the function thru the semi-auto, and slide action rifles. Every now and again, you will get a factory round that when the hammer drops will go "click", instead of "bang", because of having to much headspace. There is a couple solutions to that. The first is sending it back to TC, and they will fix the barrel for you. The second, is by reloading your own, and using a neck sizer to resize the case. If you don't have a neck sizer, or can't find one, then use a full length die, and back it off about 0.020-0.040", before touching the shoulder. Yes, you will have to snap the action closed a little harder, but it will go "bang", everytime you pull the trigger.

Lastly, the Contender, in that chambering is a deer killing machine. If you don't already have a scope for it, then I suggest the Burris 3-12x handgun scope. This is not your average pistol, and is on par with the Encore pistols in 308, and such. It is capable of 200 yards and more. My furthest deer kill with mine was 259 yards. If you do reload, hornady used to make a bullet just for the 35, and it was the 180 grain SSP. It worked splendedly well on top of a healthy dose of Hodgdon 322. That 16 inch barrel is a plus!

Best
Go to Top of Page

bbaumer
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  07:05:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tsr1965

bbaumer,

One thing to remember with the earlier 35 Remington barrels for sure, and possibly the newer ones, in 35 Remington....

The 35 Remington was originally designed to be used in semi-automatic, and some slide action rifles, which had a rotating breech bolt. This bolt would cam closed, and take up the head space. The TC Contender is a fixed breach, break open action. Quite often, the ammunition manufacturers run the 35 Remington ammunition t the bottom side of the tolerance, to help aid in the function thru the semi-auto, and slide action rifles. Every now and again, you will get a factory round that when the hammer drops will go "click", instead of "bang", because of having to much headspace. There is a couple solutions to that. The first is sending it back to TC, and they will fix the barrel for you. The second, is by reloading your own, and using a neck sizer to resize the case. If you don't have a neck sizer, or can't find one, then use a full length die, and back it off about 0.020-0.040", before touching the shoulder. Yes, you will have to snap the action closed a little harder, but it will go "bang", everytime you pull the trigger.

Lastly, the Contender, in that chambering is a deer killing machine. If you don't already have a scope for it, then I suggest the Burris 3-12x handgun scope. This is not your average pistol, and is on par with the Encore pistols in 308, and such. It is capable of 200 yards and more. My furthest deer kill with mine was 259 yards. If you do reload, hornady used to make a bullet just for the 35, and it was the 180 grain SSP. It worked splendedly well on top of a healthy dose of Hodgdon 322. That 16 inch barrel is a plus!

Best

Thanks for the info and taking the time to reply. I am really looking forward to shooting the 35. The barrel is tapped for a scope and came with no open sights so a scope it what it will have. Probably throw whatever I have on it for starters but will be sure to check out the Burris.
Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
2872 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  2:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the world of the .35 Remington, America's most overlooked short-range deer/bear round! If you can find it, Remington makes a 150 grain load with a pointed soft point bullet that is a dandy in the Contender, and Hornady makes the LEVERevolution load with a 200 grain soft-tip pointed 200 grainer. Both will make the trajectory a bit flatter than the regular 200 gr round nose soft points from Rem, Win or Fed.

I've single-loaded the Rem 150 gr PSP in my Marlin 336 with a 4x scope on it, and I have several targets on the loading bench wall showing 1" 100 yd 3-shot groups. (NEVER load regular pointed bullets in a rifle with a tubular magazine by the way, the Hornady load is the exception.) I also have a box of the Hornady on the shelf, I just need to go out and give it a try.

Recent guns and ammo had a page on reloading the .35 in it, look it up on line for some tips if you're going to reload. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

bbaumer
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  4:45:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Riomouse911

Welcome to the world of the .35 Remington, America's most overlooked short-range deer/bear round! If you can find it, Remington makes a 150 grain load with a pointed soft point bullet that is a dandy in the Contender, and Hornady makes the LEVERevolution load with a 200 grain soft-tip pointed 200 grainer. Both will make the trajectory a bit flatter than the regular 200 gr round nose soft points from Rem, Win or Fed.

I've single-loaded the Rem 150 gr PSP in my Marlin 336 with a 4x scope on it, and I have several targets on the loading bench wall showing 1" 100 yd 3-shot groups. (NEVER load regular pointed bullets in a rifle with a tubular magazine by the way, the Hornady load is the exception.) I also have a box of the Hornady on the shelf, I just need to go out and give it a try.

Recent guns and ammo had a page on reloading the .35 in it, look it up on line for some tips if you're going to reload. Enjoy!

Picked up a box of the 200gr Hornady's this afternoon from the local sporting goods store. Threw on a cheap red dot scope and gave her a try.

It is a bit of a canon but not too bad. Only fired 4 rounds with this temporary set up but I do believe I am going to like this.

Thanks to all for the replies and advice.
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6574 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  6:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Weaver makes a very good and reasonably priced fixed 4X and a 2.5 to 8X handgun scope. I have a group of them on handgun barrels that have more recoil than the 35, they are well made, sturdy and have clear optics. Scoping a handgun is different than scoping a rifle. A shooter can go cheap on the rifle and do OK, on a handgun there's not much margin for cheaply made gear. You have to pay attention to mounts, rings and the scope otherwise things break or slide about.

The above reloading info is right on, kind of forgotten about it over the years but the 35 Remington can have a misfire issue. Reloading cures it, a heavier mainspring can help too. BellmTC is a website that has all sorts of "how to" info and products.

dsf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page