GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 help oniSXS sold by dealer in Philadelphia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13845 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  9:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find information about the possible maker of a High Grade SXS Sold by Burt Becker Inc. Philadelphia. Pa. . What I know about the shotgun is it has Krupp Barrels I think this would indicate the barrels or at least the steel came from Germany the odd thing is it does not have any German proofs but does have an oval with the word PROOF on the barrels where they would contact the water table of the receiver The exact wording on the barrels is Krupp Fluid Steel Made By This wording is indicative of German SYNTAX but again no German or other foreign proof marks of any kind. The shotgun also on the water table has three Pat dates the last being 1911 so I assume this is a USA built shotgun There is no makers name only a marking on the barrels that state Burt Becker Inc Philadelphia I think this was the seller NOT the maker. The gunis very High grade with English style butt stock. splinter forearm both basic checkering patters but many lines to the inch My guess at least 20 per inch and the Cheek of the stock has a shield shaped are that is checkered at about 32 lines per inch.The area of the receiver tang in front of the safety button has the word "safe" inletted in Gold . This is an ejector gun with twin Ivory beads choked Full and Improved Cylinder.The rear surface of the receiver is scolloped and the wood to metal fit looks like the wood grew onto the metal. The receiver is fully engraved in a fine English Scroll pattern.. My picture hosting site is down and I don't have the fire arm It belongs to a family that has lived in the same house for over 200 years and was presented to Grandfather when he was a state senator.I want to research for them the item is not for sale it was missing for over 30 years and they just got it back. My main 2 questions are #1 does anyone know of any history of Burt Becker Inc. could this be a gun made by AH fox when they were getting started Serial is 118 . Did fox make their own barrels . any help in how to get history of Burt Becker INC would really help. Thanks all. Perry Shooter

EDIT Thanks for the fast offer to Help Rufe - Snow I just met this Family and I don't really know how to do much when it comes to internet searches. I am more into Colts but this shotgun was a puzzlement Quality was very high but what I though were clues did not add up. If D.G.J. has information do you know if they sell back issues I would really like to do something nice for this family.

Edited by - perry shooter on 11/07/2011 10:26:51 PM

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15755 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  10:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just did a quick GOOGLE search using Burt Becker's name as the search term. He was a famous shotgun gunsmith back between the wars. There is a series of articles regarding him and his guns in the back issues of the Double Gun Journal. This DGJ was at one time a high end print publication, concerning high quality pricy shotguns. Now it's only available as a on-line publication.

I would contact them to see if you could obtain the articles on Becker.

Go to Top of Page

hrf

816 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  10:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Google search also finds an online preview of the book "A. H. Fox" that details Becker's work for Fox. Becker became well known after building a Fox gun for author Nash Buckingham, who wrote for Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, etc. early 20th century. Much of Becker's work apparently was the special boring of barrels, for which he may have used barrel blanks imported from Germany.

Edited by - hrf on 11/07/2011 10:46:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
12058 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  10:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,,,,,DGJ phone # is 231-536-7439,,,,,their website shows they have some back issues,,,,,I'd call and see if they have the info you're looking for,,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8963 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  02:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rufe-snow,

The Double Gun Journal is still available as a finely printed hard copy but it is by direct sales only. These are no longer available in bookstores unfortunately.

I second the suggestion to contact:

Daniel & Joanna Côté, Publisher

The Double Gun Journal
P.O. Box 550 - East Jordan, MI 49727
Phone: (231) 536-7439 Fax: (231) 536-7450

Best.

Go to Top of Page

laxcoach

1076 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  09:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perry Shooter,
Post your questions on the Fox collectors site, and be prepared to get a multitude of responses. That is a very much sought after gun !
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13845 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys I have a copy of this magazine on order from D.G.J. Laxcoach I will try to find the FOX collector site thanks for the heads up.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page