GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Win, Mod 75 Malfunction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

templin9
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  11:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,
I need some help, a friend of mine has a Winchester Mod. 75, .22 cal that keeps malfunctioning. The issue is that the gun fires when the bolt is brought all the way forward. What would cause this? What can I do to fix this issue? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

"Guns make history fun."

Bert H.

USA
10866 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  11:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that the Model 75 has the cock on open feature. Open and remove the bolt and verify that it is cocked. If not, take the bolt apart and clean it. The firing pin is either not staying in the cocked position, or is it not cocking at all, which is allowing it to make contact with the cartridge when you close the bolt.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6459 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  12:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by templin9

Folks,
I need some help, a friend of mine has a Winchester Mod. 75, .22 cal that keeps malfunctioning. The issue is that the gun fires when the bolt is brought all the way forward. What would cause this? What can I do to fix this issue? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

The Winchester 75 has an adjustable trigger, it may have been set too light. Remove the action from the stock and turn the action upside down, bolt out. There should be a screw sticking out vertically to to bottom, I think it's directly in front of the trigger just behind the magazine. Turn in = heavier, turn out = lighter (I think, if not just reverse ....)

I have mine set fairly light. Wonderful little rifle.

dsf

Edited by - dfletcher on 11/24/2011 12:31:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2887 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  12:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could also be a sear/trigger problem.. The Mod. 75 didn't have a true adjustable trigger.. If anyone attempted to lighten it, they may have changed the sear spring tension.. That could cause it to trip just from the force of the bolt closing.. Over polishing the engaging surface usually went along with trying to improve the pull.. Might be gunsmith time if you're not familiar with trigger work..

Doug.. Just saw your post.. I remember that sear spring adjustment as being iffy.. It would lighten it, but not really smooth it up.. Maybe someone worked on it that's not as savvy as you, and over-did it.. I know my 75 was a little jewel, but the trigger work was done by a good 'smith..

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

https://membership.nrahq.org/

Edited by - Hangfire on 11/24/2011 12:41:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stack

81 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  07:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the early 1960s, I owned a Winchester Model 75T that, forgeting the safety was on, and realizing that after pulling the trigger, moving the safety to the off position fired the rifle.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page