GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Ruger Mark II vs. Ruger Mark III
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dreher
Advanced Member

USA
4088 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  07:35:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting set to order my 12 yo old sons Christmas present. He really loves shooting my Mark II, so, I thought I would get him a Mark III. Externally they look the same. What differenciates the II from the III except for the additional "I"?
Are any design changes negative and I should hit the auction side looking for a Mark II?
Can I safely assume the clips will not interchange?

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13960 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  07:43:29 AM  Show Profile
Be aware that the Mark III is exact opposite as far as take down from the other the Mark II. One needs the hammer cocked and one needs the hammer UNCOCKED to put back together. the Magazine release is different
"magazines will not interchange". Also the Mark III has the loaded chamber indicator.
Go to Top of Page

dreher
Advanced Member

USA
4088 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  08:09:16 AM  Show Profile
The opposite take down is not a problem as I have never taken down the Mark II. Are these differences different just to be different or are they design improvements??
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13141 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile
The Mark III has a mag release on the side of the receiver, the II has the heel release- I like the III better. The III has a key lock, loaded chamber indicator. Think the II went out of production in 2005, not sure.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3494 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  10:29:20 AM  Show Profile
One other significant difference is the magazine disconnect in the Mk.III. If you go to Rimfire Central and search Mk.III you'll find a lot of discussion about it. There is an easy, and inexpensive fix ($10.00, for a Sam's bushing) if you want to be able to fire the pistol without a magazine in place and want the mags to slide out of the grip frame on their own when you press the release button rather than having to pull them out. I've had all of the variations of Ruger Auto's and love my Mark III 22/45. I did install a Sam's hammer bushing and the loaded chamber indicator doesn't offend me. I may be in the minority on that count. In short, the Mk.III has nothing special that you'll miss in a Mk. II but either will make a great present for your son. Since I'm partial to the .45 style grip frame I really like the new 22/45 with wooden grips. To each his own, said the old lady, as she kissed the cow.

Rob
NRA Life Member

Edited by - RCrosby on 12/04/2011 10:30:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

littleblue63
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  10:58:03 PM  Show Profile
WHERE DO YOU GET THE SAM'S BUSHINGS
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7120 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  07:55:31 AM  Show Profile
As mentioned, the takedown order, magazine release, and the ungodly/unsightly loaded chamber indicator are the three main differences. They are just plain FUGLY.

I would either get the Mark II...search for one on the auction side, or a Browning Buckmark.

Best
Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3494 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  04:07:16 AM  Show Profile
Write to Sam at:

sg552.2@gmail.com

$10.00, out the door. He'll get right back to you and ships same day payment is recvd., though postal arrangements being what they apparantly are between Canada and the U.S. it may take a couple of weeks from the time you send the check. If you visit RimfireCentral you'll find tons of info on the Sam's bushing. I love mine.

Rob
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

edharold

Costa Rica
509 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  1:18:40 PM  Show Profile
The MKII is the best of the Ruger 22 autos. The MKIII has too many gimmics. I have had several MK1and MK2. I have now a MKIII and I wish I Had the MKII back.

There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

toad67
Advanced Member

USA
2536 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile
+1 to what tsr1965 said! If not a MKII then try a Buckmark.
Go to Top of Page

spas12

509 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  5:14:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by toad67

+1 to what tsr1965 said! If not a MKII then try a Buckmark.

I'd have to agree with that too.
Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3494 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  5:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Mk II or Buckmark? I'd take a Mk. III with a Sam's bushing over a Buckmark any day, but that's just me. No arguments will be won or lost on this issue. I would only add this:
If you have .45 ACP's and/or are a fan of that grip style, then I'd strongly recommend holding one of the new 22/45's with wood grip panels before jumping over to a Browning to spare yourself the trouble of a new bushing and the embarrassment/(hassle?) of an LCI.
"To each his own", said the old lady as she kissed the cow, eh?

Rob
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page