GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting
 CVA 209 Primer Adapter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rrfhunter

229 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  11:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to muzzle loading and trying to get started. I bought a used CVA Hunterbolt inline off the auctions and am having a real PIA. I assumed it would use 209 primers but when I went to the range to shoot it, it turns out the breech plug has a nipple for musket caps which can't be found. So I bought a 209 breech plug adapter and the instructions just say to screw it in until "snug" which I did(with grease) but there's about a 1/8" gap between the bolt face and the breech plug. The firing pin doesn't contact the primer. Is there supposed to be a "gapping" procedure like gapping a spark plug, etc?

....I never met a gun I didn't like!

bambambam
Advanced Member

USA
3932 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  1:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to double check to see if the model can use the breech plug adapter.

I have a CVA MAG HUNTER that I ruined the preech plug on. I didn't put anti-sieze on it and tore the chit out off it when I finally got it out. The tool kept slipping out as I was tring to twist it out.

I bought a replacement breech plug from Cabelas. I just turn it in until snug, not too tight.

Can you post a picture or your breech plug (out of the gun) and a picture of your bolt(out of the gun). I need to see the 2 surfaces that contact each other. I can probly tell you if they are a match that way.
Go to Top of Page

rrfhunter

229 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  5:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the pics but I don't know how to attach them in this forum. What's your email address? The CVA part # of the breech plug is AC1678. The package says "For 209-capable cva inline rifles. I don't have the Hunterbolt owners manual but an old brochure I saw refers to the Hunterbolt as coming with the musket cap nipple and convertible to 209.

Go to Top of Page

bambambam
Advanced Member

USA
3932 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  02:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Email sent.

This is what mine looks like.

Go to Top of Page

El Bango

50 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  6:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do yourself a favor and re-breech for a large pistol primer,the 209 has too much "bow-wow"and can actually "push" the load forward a bit before ignition occurs.
Go to Top of Page

rrfhunter

229 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  11:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to convert it from muzzle caps to 209 ignition because I of how hard it is to find muzzle caps. I bought the CVA 209 breech plug but I ended up calling CVA and my bolt is not compatible with it.

The good news is my buddy ran into some NOS muzzle caps at a gun shop this weekend so he bought me 400. Problem solved!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page