GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Completed Auctions vs Ended Auctions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

my-handyman

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  01:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be a no brainer question, but what is the differents between the two? I see no differents. Not asking for a New search, just what the differents is between them.
Is there a way to see just the auctions that have sold, and or ones that had bids in stead of all the auctions that were posted?
Thanks

"Ask not what your country can do for you" JFK
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for a good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Examine the gun Very closely ("buy the gun not the story").
"What we’ve got here is … failure to communicate. Some men you just can’t reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it" Strother Douglas

Edited by - my-handyman on 12/10/2011 06:06:19 AM

Night Stalker
Advanced Member

10865 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  01:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brother, I fear this will get you either a lock or a "Poof".

Tho dought not question thine powers which be.

NS

DISCLAIMER: The opinions I express on this entertaining forum are my own and do not represent the U.S. Government, the Department of Defense or the US Army’s positions on this matter.

Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8870 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  01:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have requested why the search criteria can't include a discriminator between SOLD and COMPLETED. I don't know why it doesn't. It sure would make research more accurate and efficient. The data field is there, so including it as one of the searchable fields for an advanced search shouldn't pose a difficult chore for the person designing the search page. I know this concerns the auctions side, but how about a straight answer form GB before they lock this one? Pretty please, as a courtesy to all of the loyal GB users on this forum?

Edited by - andrewsw16 on 12/10/2011 01:42:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

my-handyman

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  01:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to know what the differents is or are they the same? If this is not the right place to ask, Sorry! Please point me in the right drection to ask.

"Ask not what your country can do for you" JFK
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for a good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Examine the gun Very closely ("buy the gun not the story").
"What we’ve got here is … failure to communicate. Some men you just can’t reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it" Strother Douglas
Go to Top of Page

Boomerang
PurpleStars

USA
4538 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  01:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrewsw16

I have requested why the search criteria can't include a discriminator between SOLD and COMPLETED. I don't know why it doesn't. It sure would make research more accurate and efficient. The data field is there, so including it as one of the searchable fields for an advanced search shouldn't pose a difficult chore for the person designing the search page. I know this concerns the auctions side, but how about a straight answer form GB before they lock this one? Pretty please, as a courtesy to all of the loyal GB users on this forum?

That would be nice to have a SOLD and COMPLETED discriminator. Completed is not necessarly the same as sold. It would be a great way to figure out the going value of a gun. I hate seeing a completed reserve with bids, it means nothing. It is time consuming to figure out which is which for true comparison purposes.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

… and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton ”I smoked it, but I didn't inhale.”

NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8870 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  02:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When one is trying to research the market value of a gun, it is hard to beat actual SOLD auctions. But, currently, unless someone can tell me another way, you have to wade through all of the completed but not necessarily sold auctions. Since this is the General Discussion Forum how about we and the mods DISCUSS how best to meet this need. NO this is not a negative criticism of GB and its auctions. It is a very valid suggestion of how to IMPROVE the site. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by - andrewsw16 on 12/10/2011 02:19:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

lpaalp

1097 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  06:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea. I have the same problem when searching for selling prices of an item.
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12666 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  09:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The closest way that I have found to get the results you are looking for is to do my search for COMPLETED AUCTIONS auctions, check the EXCLUDE RESERVE PRICE ITEMS, & sort by SHOW HIGHEST NUMBER OF BIDS FIRST. This sort puts all the zero bid items at the bottom of the list; I look down the list until I get to those where the zero bids start.

I really don't care if the item sold or not, the highest bid on a non-reserved item tells me the "market" price.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8870 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  11:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto. That's the way I do it now. Rank ordering the completed auctions by the number of bids helps you eliminate the auctions that had no bid. It's not perfect, but it does help sift the data a bit. The ones with the highest number of bids USUALLY have resulted in a SOLD, but not always. Still, it's better than nothing. I still haven't heard why, with all of the improvements they have made to the auction side, why they didn't include that one little data field in the available search profiles. I would SO love to see that implemented and I think many others agree.
GB, you have a great auction site. There is still a TINY room for some improvement.
Go to Top of Page

calrugerfan
Advanced Member

USA
14446 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  11:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by my-handyman

I just want to know what the differents is or are they the same? If this is not the right place to ask, Sorry! Please point me in the right drection to ask.

I believe they are trying to point that the forum is not a place for auction support issues. However, as this is more just seeking information, not technically "support" I don't think it will be locked or poofed.

I always fire two warning shots; one to the chest, one to the head.
Go to Top of Page

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39397 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  12:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it hasn't been poofed by now, I don't think
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page