GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 iver johnson supershot date
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cleanbeef
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  8:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an iver johnson supershot, serial no. L28610. Anyone know the date of manufacture? Also, it shoots great in DA, but when I pull the hammer back to shoot SA, about 50% of the time the hammer drops. Is that the seer?

thanks in advance!

hrf

798 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  9:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The late Bill Goforth's book lists 1946 date for sn L28610 but notes that "Serial numbers for 1946-1957 are educated guess work."

You may have a worn sear and/or hammer notch or just a sticky sear or weak sear spring. Try holding sear out with your fingernail or a pin while cocking the hammer to see if it then holds full cock properly.
Go to Top of Page

cleanbeef
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  9:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks!

If I put a key between the rear of the trigger guard and the sear and hold the sear forward, the hammer does not trip. But when I remove the key, releasing pressure, the hammer will still drop some of the time (maybe 30%). That lead to any diagnosis? I'm hoping to fix it myself as all the gunsmiths around here are overrun with business.
Go to Top of Page

hrf

798 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  10:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cleanbeef

thanks!

If I put a key between the rear of the trigger guard and the sear and hold the sear forward, the hammer does not trip. But when I remove the key, releasing pressure, the hammer will still drop some of the time (maybe 30%). That lead to any diagnosis? I'm hoping to fix it myself as all the gunsmiths around here are overrun with business.

With the hammer down, does the sear have good spring pressure?

If so, you probably have worn parts.
Go to Top of Page

cleanbeef
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  10:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the sear appears to have good pressure (although I'm not sure how strong it's supposed to be by feel). If it is just worn parts, is it just the sear and/or hammer?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page