GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Gun Burial Tube
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cbxjeff
Advanced Member

USA
9989 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  11:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received a e-mail flyer from Cheaper Than Dirt today. They have a 31" x 9" dia tube for $80. Has anyone tested one of these for an extended time?

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>

buckstar

1241 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  11:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never bought such a tube, and if I had it would have been lost in a boating accident....

This is the first tube I've seen that has an inner and outer lid with gaskets, and I generally don't pay much attention to burial tubes. My concern with this product would be if the tube is made from biodegradable plastic, if it is thin, and would frost heave crush it or smash the contents. The web page does not say. Since it is from CTD I don't have any faith that they would have made any effort to protect their image by using only top quality manufacturers or materials.

As far as tubes go though, this one looks pretty good and if I were into that sort of thing I would probably get this one and some heavy duty desiccant. If rustable items were put in it I would probably also get the so called "rust-proof" bags and put more desiccant in those. If I got extremely anal I would put oxygen absorbers in those bags as well but certainly not in the tube its self. That would cause it to loose roughly 20% of the ambient air inside and would likely affect the seal. If you're in an area where it gets very cold, you should make sure the tube inside is very cold before you seal it and never leave it in the sun.

The measurements of its depth and opening were kind of iffy so I went around and measured several guns, since the product seems to be advertising that you could put a gun in it. I found that my shotguns would fit if I removed the buttstocks entirely, as well as a couple other things. Since the tube is only 28" inside, it really limits what can go in it though.

It's pretty simple, don't shoot at Americans, and you will not have your body pissed on.
Don
Go to Top of Page

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15533 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  12:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
burying a gun is the most pointless thing ive ever heard of.

that being said, heres a 15 year field test on the idea, so i f you must participate in this idiocy then this seems like a fair play book to work from.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html
Go to Top of Page

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
4410 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why not just use PVC pipe and glue the ends on, Its worked for water and sewer pipe for many years. 12ga pump fits nice in 4" sewer pipe, if its a scoped rifle just use bigger pipe. It will never leak and will never rot. Put desiccant in with it and you can put several hundred rounds of ammo in the same pipe.
Go to Top of Page

fordsix
Advanced Member

5952 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  1:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pvc with solid end and a screw top end coat gun in grease put in tube seal threads screw tight put some rubber goop around seal and bury cost 30 bucks pipe company down the road sells all sizes pvc from small to culvert
Go to Top of Page

LesWVa
Advanced Member

7725 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  1:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cbxjeff

Received a e-mail flyer from Cheaper Than Dirt today. They have a 31" x 9" dia tube for $80. Has anyone tested one of these for an extended time?

Let me check the local hardware store. I am sure they have one for much less. Of course you will need to cut it to fit, glue the caps on and maybe run a bead of silicone around the joints for added protection. For $80.00 they may even throw in a shovel.
Go to Top of Page

Marc1301
Advanced Member

USA
30248 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  1:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to do this right,....make one yourself.
Use whatever size schedule '80' PVC you need and glue the caps on.

Before you glue one on though,.....drill and tap a schrader valve into it and use loctite or blue leak lock.

Pull a vacuum, and then equalize pressure with dry nitrogen.
You can put some positive pressure in as well, but don't go too high.

Personally I have zero use for a buried firearm, but thought I wuold throw this idea in the mix.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

"Beam me up Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here." William Shatner
Go to Top of Page

Junkballer
Advanced Member

USA
3862 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  1:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you plant it in the wrong place then after a few good hard rains it'll pop out of the ground like a submarine. Empty fuel tanks do the same thing too I know.
Go to Top of Page

Waco Waltz
Advanced Member

USA
11855 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  2:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I knew the location of the gulag I will be sent to in the future I'd want to bury one inside the wire.

“There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.”
George Orwell, 1984

Maybe someone can explain what I saw once.

Traveling from the Small town of in Idaho to a larger city in ID we observed 5 to 6 jets, smaller military fighter sized jets, they were really high making an exact ID on them impossible but they were all flying a huge grid at the same time and we could tell they were not air liners. The grid was over air space around 10 to 15 miles wide and and as long. I observed the jets multiple times come to the end of the grid and then the trail would stop, they would make a sharp (As sharp as needed) U-turn and re align for another run in the grid and as soon as they came into the grid zone the trail would begin again. One would do it on one side while another jet would do the same thing on the other side while yet another would do this in the middle and side of the grid. Each time, no matter what jet came to the end of the grid no matter the location of the grid the trail stopped. And each time any jet no matter the location entered the grid again the trail would begin again. At no point inside the grid would you see any breaks in the trail. None.
#8232;Now knowing something about the science of contrails I knew the mathematical improbability that the jets were entering and leaving warmer and cooler air pockets at precisely the correct times to form this grid was astronomically high to the point of being absurd to entertain the notion. Again, no where inside the grid was there any break in the trails. I know the jets were not cutting their power. I knew that day that I was witnessing air craft spraying something in the sky and what I was seeing was what people were calling chemtrails. I observed the jets for over an hour from the car as we traveled. I wish I had a video camera back then but I did not. I sat on what I had witnesses for some years and then I observed the internet arguments on the topic. Occasionally I would tell people on forums what I had seen with my own eyes but it would be dismissed as water vapors and warm and cool air pockets. They either were not listening to me or they did not believe I saw what I had related. If I pressed the issue or brought up the odds of improbability they just called me crazy. I knew I was not getting across in words what I had seen so even hand drew an illustration but people just don’t want to accept that something might be going on in the sky they cannot explain to stop so the charges that I was nuts continued and of course the personal attacks. When I would enter a topic with this information it was not long that the topic would be closed. Or if posting on Craig’s list it would be flagged off with in minutes so fast in fact there has to be more at work then simply the CL community flaggers at work. In San Diego’s Craig’s List it seems someone has a fast track flag button with anything that gets to close to the truth. The topics are allowed to stay up so long as the debunkers can make fun of the chemtrails truth advocates but post something like I am here and it disappears faster it can be publicly seen. So if nothing is going on then why censor the people talking about the stuff being sprayed?
Go to Top of Page

bartman45
Advanced Member

USA
2755 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  2:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have mine cremated...........
Go to Top of Page

gesshots
Advanced Member

USA
13581 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  4:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's time to bury them...........
....... It's time to dig them up!

gesshots

The human race has only one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.
~ Mark Twain

Well. We'll see what the man's sellin'. THEN we'll shoot him. ~ Hub

Load six... if your gut, tells you too !
~ J. B. Books

Go to Top of Page

trc313
Advanced Member

Israel
2714 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  8:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6" around here is around $100 for 10 foot

Go to Top of Page

Topkick
Advanced Member

USA
3705 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  8:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc1301

Before you glue one on though,.....drill and tap a schrader valve into it and use loctite or blue leak lock.

Personally I have zero use for a buried firearm, but thought I wuold throw this idea in the mix.

That is exactly my plan. I have all components.
All you need is about 1 PSI.
Go to Top of Page

HandLoad
Advanced Member

12879 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  9:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amohg the Prepper Contingent (of which I am One), a recent post noted that one or More of Several Disposable Butane Lighters within a Container Failed a seal after Burial. Everything stored within that particular container was Pristine! Other containers similarly sealed and buried had signs of Moisture and atmospheric sourced degradation. IF I was gonna bury any Finely Machined Equipment, I would Cosmoline it to a Fare-Thee-Well, Wrap it in Greased Cloths, put it within a container on a Pedestal so that some water Intrusion would not reach to it. I would Include Oxygen Getters, Dessicants, and would place the container in the ground with the opening facing Downward.

But, I am with the post above: If ya think it is time to Bury it, It is probably the time you most need it on hand.

Laudate Nomen!
Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

6691 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  10:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all boils down to discoverability of a (or several) large pieces of ferrous metal a few feet underground.
Magnetic detectors WILL find it if you don't spoof the site.
The new radio frequency locators will find your tube, guns, any change you lost, your plumbing, and anything else, metal or not that is placed underground.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
9272 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  10:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why bury a gun, Do they yield more guns like squash does

Coming in Second place, only means your the first loser

"For a gourmet wine is not a drink but a condiment, provided that your host has chosen correctly."
Edouard De Pomaine, French author
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37698 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  11:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waco Waltz

If I knew the location of the gulag I will be sent to in the future I'd want to bury one inside the wire.

Just outside Philadelphia.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

Waco Waltz
Advanced Member

USA
11855 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  12:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's expensive but I hear the best way is to load up gun greese in the tube and immerce all the metal parts in it. Any plastic can be wrapped in plastic and included.

quote:
Originally posted by HandLoad

Amohg the Prepper Contingent (of which I am One), a recent post noted that one or More of Several Disposable Butane Lighters within a Container Failed a seal after Burial. Everything stored within that particular container was Pristine! Other containers similarly sealed and buried had signs of Moisture and atmospheric sourced degradation. IF I was gonna bury any Finely Machined Equipment, I would Cosmoline it to a Fare-Thee-Well, Wrap it in Greased Cloths, put it within a container on a Pedestal so that some water Intrusion would not reach to it. I would Include Oxygen Getters, Dessicants, and would place the container in the ground with the opening facing Downward.

But, I am with the post above: If ya think it is time to Bury it, It is probably the time you most need it on hand.

“There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.”
George Orwell, 1984

Traveling from the Small town of in Idaho to a larger city in ID we observed 5 to 6 jets, smaller military fighter sized jets, they were really high making an exact ID on them impossible but they were all flying a huge grid at the same time and we could tell they were not air liners. The grid was over air space around 10 to 15 miles wide and and as long. I observed the jets multiple times come to the end of the grid and then the trail would stop, they would make a sharp (As sharp as needed) U-turn and re align for another run in the grid and as soon as they came into the grid zone the trail would begin again. One would do it on one side while another jet would do the same thing on the other side while yet another would do this in the middle and side of the grid. Each time, no matter what jet came to the end of the grid no matter the location of the grid the trail stopped. And each time any jet no matter the location entered the grid again the trail would begin again. At no point inside the grid would you see any breaks in the trail. None.
#8232;Now knowing something about the science of contrails I knew the mathematical improbability that the jets were entering and leaving warmer and cooler air pockets at precisely the correct times to form this grid was astronomically high to the point of being absurd to entertain the notion. Again, no where inside the grid was there any break in the trails. I know the jets were not cutting their power. I knew that day that I was witnessing air craft spraying something in the sky and what I was seeing was what people were calling chemtrails. I observed the jets for over an hour from the car as we traveled. I wish I had a video camera back then but I did not. I sat on what I had witnesses for some years and then I observed the internet arguments on the topic. Occasionally I would tell people on forums what I had seen with my own eyes but it would be dismissed as water vapors and warm and cool air pockets. They either were not listening to me or they did not believe I saw what I had related. If I pressed the issue or brought up the odds of improbability they just called me crazy. I knew I was not getting across in words what I had seen so even hand drew an illustration but people just don’t want to accept that something might be going on in the sky they cannot explain to stop so the charges that I was nuts continued and of course the personal attacks. When I would enter a topic with this information it was not long that the topic would be closed. Or if posting on Craig’s list it would be flagged off with in minutes so fast in fact there has to be more at work then simply the CL community flaggers at work. In San Diego’s Craig’s List it seems someone has a fast track flag button with anything that gets to close to the truth. The topics are allowed to stay up so long as the debunkers can make fun of the chemtrails truth advocates but post something like I am here and it disappears faster it can be publicly seen. So if nothing is going on then why censor the people talking about the stuff being sprayed?
Go to Top of Page

Waco Waltz
Advanced Member

USA
11855 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  12:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Lets say you have a dozen and need to remain mobile because the feds took control of your house Etc.

You might want to position a stash or two.

quote:
Originally posted by remingtonoaks

George Orwell, 1984

Go to Top of Page

COLT

USA
14301 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  12:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think a rifle will yield half a dozen rifles, if the soil is prepped good...handguns do much better, I think the yield can be as many as a dozen or better.
quote:
It all boils down to discoverability of a (or several) large pieces of ferrous metal a few feet underground.

Exactly...and there is no "spoofing" the site with GPR, cant hide anything from GPR, unless you bury down close to the earths core...and I think all that heavy earth moving equipment would draw attention.

quote:

..BEST method Ive heard or seen.

....A BIG stretch & a BIGGER if for me to bury a gun(s)...but Marcs method would beat a bought tube, perfect, excpet I wouldnt bother with any Dessicants. Disassemble the guns, and slop & smother with Cosmo...best stuff ever made.

I would almost bet that some of the lend Lease guns/equipment that went down on torpedoed Liberty ships headed for great Britain during WWII were packed with enough of this stuff..and some of the containers ended up in optimum conditions...the guns would clean up and factory fresh today...take a tad more scrubbing to clean the mess off than the last Milsurp I bought though.

I think for those that "lost all my guns in the lake when the boat overturned", the more greenie, echo-friendly minded types, THAT accident was for the best...lots of houses, condos for the fish in those artificial gun reefs that were produced from those accidents.

Those "my guns all went to the bottom" replies became old, boring and just down right lame, after it was first posted...a few thousand time ago.

quote:
Personally I have zero use for a buried firearm

...Plus a few thousand marc.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

http://www.blindhogg.com/

"It's a poor damn man that can only spell a word one way!"...Harry S. Truman

"We will never try to placate an aggressor by the false and wicked bargain of trading honor for security"...Dwight D. Eisenhower

Go to Top of Page

sovereignman
Advanced Member

USA
3342 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  12:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Junkballer

If you plant it in the wrong place then after a few good hard rains it'll pop out of the ground like a submarine. Empty fuel tanks do the same thing too I know.

I got it, bury it in reinforced concrete,excellent protection.
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
9272 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  12:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waco Waltz

Lets say you have a dozen and need to remain mobile because the feds took control of your house Etc.

You might want to position a stash or two.

quote:
Originally posted by remingtonoaks

You missed the joke there

Coming in Second place, only means your the first loser

"For a gourmet wine is not a drink but a condiment, provided that your host has chosen correctly."
Edouard De Pomaine, French author
Go to Top of Page

buckstar

1241 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  02:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gunnut505

The new radio frequency locators will find your tube, guns, any change you lost, your plumbing, and anything else, metal or not that is placed underground.

I read a suggestion once that if you bury metal and don't want it to be found that you should go score buckets of scrap nuts and bolts, pennies, metal shavings, bottle caps, etc, and put them all over the place. Not just in the vicinity of the hidden item but several hotspots and some randomly scattered.

It's pretty simple, don't shoot at Americans, and you will not have your body pissed on.
Don
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

43423 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  06:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you imagine using a metal detector and scoring big time.
Go to Top of Page

bartman45
Advanced Member

USA
2755 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  12:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I ever find a very inexpensive Glock, I now know what to do with it........
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

Japan
11402 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  12:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sharpshooter039

why not just use PVC pipe and glue the ends on, Its worked for water and sewer pipe for many years. 12ga pump fits nice in 4" sewer pipe, if its a scoped rifle just use bigger pipe. It will never leak and will never rot. Put desiccant in with it and you can put several hundred rounds of ammo in the same pipe.

Yup. Also one can just leave it around without digging a hole. I mean what thief (other than PVC) will look twice at a pile of PVCs? Also if not overly weighed down it'll float. Make a raft out of them with paracord. Just make sure you pack a saw .
Go to Top of Page

Marc1301
Advanced Member

USA
30248 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  1:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Topkick

quote:
Originally posted by Marc1301

That is exactly my plan. I have all components.
All you need is about 1 PSI.

And I wonder how we both arrived at the same conclusion?

I did one of these years ago just to test the theory on a small scale. Put some rebar pieces wiped with oil, and an old steel pipe wrench, along with several other items made of varying types of metal with no value to me.

I buried it about 3 feet deep, and left it there for over 2 years.
When I dug it up, and opened it,......EVERYTHING looked just like the day I buried it. Also my 5 psi positive charge of nitrogen was still intact.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

"Beam me up Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here." William Shatner
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11186 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  1:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My take:

Burial tube is useless. That would mean that I stood by and watched, as others were disarmed..all the while claiming that I had no guns to be confiscated.

Now, I would still have my guns, what to do? Wait until they come back a 2nd time?

Best to nip it in the bud, and resist at the initial attempted rape of my rights.

Joe

Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

19199 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  2:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone tries to take my gun it won't be buried in a plastic tube. It will be in my hands.

Go to Top of Page

B&G Clinger

USA
1430 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  2:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KEVD18

burying a gun is the most pointless thing ive ever heard of.

that being said, heres a 15 year field test on the idea, so i f you must participate in this idiocy then this seems like a fair play book to work from.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html

That was a good read. I actually enjoyed that article. I chuckled when I read his comment about painting the tube black, and fifteen years later he didnt know why he did that.
Go to Top of Page

KEVD18
Advanced Member

USA
15533 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  11:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gesshots

If it's time to bury them...........
....... It's time to dig them up!

read the above statement. then read it again. then read it again. repeat this process until you get it...
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19393 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  11:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those things pop up every few years, sort of like the miracle liquids which you can pour into your gas tank and suddenly get 50 mpg. Another are those strange wire-cage devices that you are supposed to put into air box to "straighten out your intake charge" and dramatically increase your horse power and fuel mileage. Oh yes, lets not forget teh old TV antenna adaptor that plugs into any electrical outlet and instantly turns your home's entire wiring system into one gigantic TV antenna, saving you hundreds of $$$ on cable TV or satellites systems. For $80 any hardware store should be able to sell you enough PVC pipe, glue and fittings to bury a half dozen guns...If you are so inclined.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page