GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Identify This Magazine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheBrassMan

1509 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  3:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need help identifying this magazine.
I discovered quite a few of these in a container in one of our storage
places.
Would like to know what firearm they are for.
Looks like they handle either 7.62x39 or .223.
It is some kind of plastic or composite material.
Here are some pictures to help identify it.

BABY

MY SKS

"Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15851 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  3:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They also make the red plastic banana magazines for the current Russian military rifle AK-74, the cartridge is the 5.45 X 39.

EDIT #1, Got this pic off the net.

Edited by - rufe-snow on 04/22/2012 3:54:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

TheBrassMan

1509 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  4:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you are saying these are for the AK-74.

BABY

MY SKS

"Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15851 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  4:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrassMan

So you are saying these are for the AK-74.

No! I don't know what rifle their for? To the best of my recollection I have never seen this particular type of magazine before. It's total bakelite construction without a metal baseplate and the internal cartridge witness window are very unusual, to say the least?

Go to Top of Page

burpfire

695 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  9:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
those are simply detachable magazines for sks conversions. i converted quite a few sks rifles to take detachable mags, and the mags were black and sometimes brown like yours. they really have no value, unless the sks has been converted, or you can find one of the conversion kits, which i havent seen in years.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15851 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  9:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by burpfire

those are simply detachable magazines for sks conversions. i converted quite a few sks rifles to take detachable mags, and the mags were black and sometimes brown like yours. they really have no value, unless the sks has been converted, or you can find one of the conversion kits, which i havent seen in years.

Did they actually work though? I've tried those hi-cap conversion mags on three different SKS's over the years. None of them were reliable function wise. This was with both the black steel and black plastic mags.

Go to Top of Page

tangara
Starting Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  8:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is a Cobray magazine for the SKS. It was part of a conversion kit that had an adapter that made the magazine detachable like the AK. I do believe it is made of Zytel and had a spotty reputation for reliability. I was bidding on a Norinco paratrooper that had a bag with a complete Cobray conversion kit included (same color) at a gun auction and if I would have won, I would of sold off the Cobray kit to a SKS collector. This single magazine is not worth much, except maybe to someone that has this kit and has had success with it.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
21895 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  12:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi cap SKS detachable mags here:

http://www.rifletech.net/cgi-bin/shop.pl/page=sks4.html

These work great

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968

Edited by - us55840 on 04/28/2012 12:55:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

TheBrassMan

1509 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  1:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys.
Just was interested in what they were. Found a small container
of them in our back room.

BABY

MY SKS

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page