GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 SKB 700 vs Browning Citori
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

old-dog

178 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  7:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Which would you buy with an eye toward increasing in value, yet still wanting a "shooter" and not a closet queen? Assume both are in excellent condition..No boxes

ddhotbot

1124 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  7:48:06 PM  Show Profile
i have owned both and shot both,without a doubt my vote go to the browning all the way. skb is out of buisness so parts may be getting hard to come by soon. browning has the best customer service going. i shoot my citori every week without fail and its a 425 model so its no spring chicken lol.
Go to Top of Page

old-dog

178 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  8:07:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ddhotbot

i have owned both and shot both,without a doubt my vote go to the browning all the way. skb is out of buisness so parts may be getting hard to come by soon. browning has the best customer service going. i shoot my citori every week without fail and its a 425 model so its no spring chicken lol.

Excllent This is exactly the opinion I am looking for. I have owned the Browning A-5 and liked it enough, but I always thought the forestock wasn't heavy duty enough..hence the common problems they had in cracking.

Edited by - old-dog on 05/03/2012 8:08:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

duckhunter
Advanced Member

8416 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  8:36:41 PM  Show Profile
SKB is still in business.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
12097 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  8:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Browning,,,,,they wear 'in' not out !!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
6335 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  9:33:44 PM  Show Profile
SKB is still in the game http://www.skbshotguns.com/
Owned and shot both, and if I had to choose between the two for your reasons and a host of others, it would be a Browning.

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.com
Go to Top of Page

wolfpack

232 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  9:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Don't know about the SKB but I do own a 16 gauge citori and absolutely love it. You will not go wrong with the Browning.
Go to Top of Page

golferboy426

1132 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  10:13:00 PM  Show Profile
The 700 is a higher engraved model but neither will increase in value to any significant degree. I'm partial to the skb's and have several 880 crown grades
Go to Top of Page

GuvamintCheese
Advanced Member

30333 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  11:08:03 PM  Show Profile
Both good Japanese guns.
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8798 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  10:46:01 AM  Show Profile
If you are looking for a 12 gauge, I would suggest a used Browning Superposed. Belgium Made and top quality. For whatever reason, I feel the 12 ga. Superposed currently are HIGHLY undervalued. With a little looking, you can find one cheaper than either of the two Japanese guns you mention and it will be of superior quality. I would look for "round knob and long tang".
Good luck!
Like this!
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284888839

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"

Edited by - gearheaddad on 05/04/2012 10:50:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

old-dog

178 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  11:27:28 AM  Show Profile
I always have been partial to Brownings. I bought an 1966 A5 but had to return it b/c seller didn't disclose a hairline crack in the forend, which seems somewhat common in A5's. It leads me to believe the A5's could have been made with a heavier stock in their forends.
Go to Top of Page

old-dog

178 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  11:28:01 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gearheaddad

If you are looking for a 12 gauge, I would suggest a used Browning Superposed. Belgium Made and top quality. For whatever reason, I feel the 12 ga. Superposed currently are HIGHLY undervalued. With a little looking, you can find one cheaper than either of the two Japanese guns you mention and it will be of superior quality. I would look for "round knob and long tang".
Good luck!
Like this!
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284888839

I am bidding one now..
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8798 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  12:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Good for you! Good luck on the Superposed! If investment is one of your thoughts, I'm sure the Superposed would be a superior investment over the other two! Be careful not to get a "salt gun"! That's why I suggested "long tang round knob"!
The hairline crack on the Auto-5 is quite common. It is usually caused from improper installation of the rings for the specific shot shell or poor installation of the forend itself.

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

old-dog

178 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  3:47:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gearheaddad

Good for you! Good luck on the Superposed! If investment is one of your thoughts, I'm sure the Superposed would be a superior investment over the other two! Be careful not to get a "salt gun"! That's why I suggested "long tang round knob"!
The hairline crack on the Auto-5 is quite common. It is usually caused from improper installation of the rings for the specific shot shell or poor installation of the forend itself.

You betcha I read up on the "SALTWOOD" problems and messaged the seller to see if he knew whether he knew if the stock was factory replaced or not at all.

There's another from 1952 on the auction. I have my eye on that one and a Citori, as well...I am not "hot to trott" on any one Browning. I will take my time and buy at the price I feel comfotable with because I am looking for a square "deal" at a discounted price. There are just too many guns out there for sale. It is finding the right one at the right price that's my challange
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8798 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  4:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Arts Gun Shop did much of the salt wood repairs for Browning. I found these videos pretty informative:

http://www.artsgunshop.com/site_map_MediaCenter_Video.htm

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page