GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Extravagant Lifestyles of Mega-Church Preachers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leeroy Jenkins

1949 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  6:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw the story about the Atlanta mega-church preacher, and saw the mansion he lives in. Don't see how people can be members of their congregations when they see how these "preachers" are funding their extravagant lifestyles through their churches.

Leeroy Jenkins

1949 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  6:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tax-free status of these churches need to be stripped away if the preacher lives in a mansion and owns a private jet, helicopter, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24744 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  6:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father was a member of a church and he sued the preacher (and won) because this preacher made a loan with my father and tried to say it was a "donation." He bought a private plane with the money. He used to make hefty donations because he tithed 10% of his income from the gun store....back in those days (the mid 80's) my father's store was the busiest gun store in the southeast. The preacher actually lived next door to us back then. It was very strange for me because I was friends with their kids.

Click here to check out my auctions?..I double dog dare you to!!!

Go to Top of Page

CaptFun
Administrator

USA
8462 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  6:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the same induhviduals that voted for the present administration.

GunBroker.com Admin

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

William81
Advanced Member

USA
20948 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  6:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Grandfather was a minister for over 40 years. He never owned his own home till his retirement. He helped feed his three children by hunting/guiding on weekends. He did God's work with the help of my Grandmother as his partner.

You can always find people that do take advantage of rules, laws and the weak. The vast majority of the Pastors, Priests, etc are doing God's work without any fanfare, mansions, or planes. Too bad some will demonize all over the man made foolishness of the few.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberials

Edited by - William81 on 06/10/2012 6:47:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Captplaid
Advanced Member

USA
17590 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  7:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A previous plant manager at granite city steel was cought steeling funds.

Archer Daniels Midland setup phoney swiss companies as the top mgmt bonus program.

A previous plant engineer at work was cashong in on scrap metal.

Dixon Illinois had a woman steel millions.

Obama believes he can tax your breathing.

Liberty isn't free. It is paid in blood. -Thomas Jefferson

Does anyone remember what the Boston Tea Party was about?
Go to Top of Page

Captplaid
Advanced Member

USA
17590 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  7:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by William81

My Grandfather was a minister for over 40 years. He never owned his own home till his retirement. He helped feed his three children by hunting/guiding on weekends. He did God's work with the help of my Grandmother as his partner.

You can always find people that do take advantage of rules, laws and the weak. The vast majority of the Pastors, Priests, etc are doing God's work without any fanfare, mansions, or planes. Too bad some will demonize all over the man made foolishness of the few.

what denomination?

Obama believes he can tax your breathing.

Liberty isn't free. It is paid in blood. -Thomas Jefferson

Does anyone remember what the Boston Tea Party was about?
Go to Top of Page

William81
Advanced Member

USA
20948 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  7:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Church of God...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberials

Go to Top of Page

dcon12
Advanced Member

Georgia
26756 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  7:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Church of God...

Aren't they all? Don
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26702 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  8:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember the Dude Benn Hinn,, Send him money for prayer with a request... they found all the requests in a dumpster with the money (checks) removed,,, Laughing all the way to the bank.....
Scammers know no limits when it comes to scamming people out of their money. And yes, they will use your faith to scam you. Just because someone says they are devout does not mean they are!

Edited by - n/a on 06/10/2012 8:41:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

nutfinn
Advanced Member

8729 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  8:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaptFun

Yep, majority of voters Stupid Americans voters
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

Mexico
11003 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  8:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Them poachers that would say "god wants them to drive a Caddilacs" always made me laugh. Never could tell who were the pimps and who were the preachers maybe one and the same?
Go to Top of Page

austin20
Advanced Member

USA
25019 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  9:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody dumb enough to give those kind of "preachers" money deserve what they get.
Go to Top of Page

CaptFun
Administrator

USA
8462 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  10:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nutfinn

quote:

Yep, majority of voters Stupid Americans voters

I was referring specifically to the congregants of this particular "church" however the book of Ezekiel does offer a little insight into this same sitaution as it refers to the "Church" in general.

GunBroker.com Admin

Go to Top of Page

fordsix
Advanced Member

5764 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  10:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has body guards too ..religion is good for the wallet
Go to Top of Page

machine gun moran
Advanced Member

USA
5039 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  12:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recall a big-time TV preacher reading 'testimonials' from people who had sent in money, and who were then 'immediately rewarded with many times over, the amount of money they had sent'. With some people, it supposedly reached $millions. Not sending in money was cited as THE reason that people had not gotten their 'financial blessing'.

A month later, the same preacher was hawking a book, for $30 per copy, titled '30 Reasons Why You Have Not Gotten Your Financial Blessing From God'. I guess the preacher had come up with 29 other reasons, after he had collected the money. And decided that if he could sell the scam, he could also sell the explanation. There is a mold, there...

The guy is still in business. No, it wasn't the one whose wife complained that her personal checking account was down to $50,000, after buying a set of brass giraffes for living room decor. It was the one who bragged that he had a set up a Christmas display that included one million lights. If the lights with their wiring and labor for installation came to 25 cents apiece, that was $250 grand that some hungry kids never got.

It's pretty hard to get behind these turkeys, they represent Scripture like Obama represents the Constitution. But some people do it.

Control is an illusion, because nobody knows what's going to happen next.
Go to Top of Page

kidthatsirish
Advanced Member

USA
3830 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  12:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know how many of the these mega-church preachers are out there living like that...I know my Pastor dosnt make to much from out churh....he also works another job, and Im pretty sure that he would have to if he wanted to be able to live comfortably....not extravagant, but to be middle class, he has to work the second job.

“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return". -- Leonardo DaVinci 1452-1519

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Go to Top of Page

CaptFun
Administrator

USA
8462 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  01:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice baptismal font...

GunBroker.com Admin

Go to Top of Page

machine gun moran
Advanced Member

USA
5039 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  03:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice baptismal font...

I've seen that before. That's a TV preacher's house. That's the East end of his assistant groundskeeper's bathroom, who is his 3rd cousin.

Control is an illusion, because nobody knows what's going to happen next.
Go to Top of Page

Removed at users request.
Advanced Member

USA
5896 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add Creflo Dollar to the list of classless folks in that bustling hub of commerce.
Go to Top of Page

eastbank
Advanced Member

3607 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  07:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
revernd IKE,a black was right up front with the money giving thing. alot of the tv preachers have been whore mongers,happys (i think tammy fay baker could turn a man happy) along with a few pedifiles. i give to my local church,but i am not a very active member.eastbank.
Go to Top of Page

bigboy12

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  08:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't stand the "preachers" who preach to everyone else about morality and then go and do the very thing they preach against. Anyone remember the preacher Ted Haggerty who preached against samesexuality and then got caught with a male prostitute? How about Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggert?
Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

19526 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  08:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dcon12

quote:

Church of God...

Aren't they all? Don

Nope.

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Go to Top of Page

dennisnielsen
Advanced Member

USA
35495 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  08:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huesache ave babist church,San Antonio

A man died and left a few million to a scolarship fund for kids

Claude Bonham bought a whole cul de sac of new homes for his family with it

some time later his pot of gold ranch in Kerville was on national news

flood drowned kids on a bus

this dude is burning in hell

God fearing & gun owner and I'm keeping Them both.

You city slickers keep your gun control to yourselves.You are living with too many asses per acre without a safe backstop.Besides,the broadside of a barn is not the x-ring. ;]

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26702 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  09:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latest Scam is Peter Popoff,, "Come get your Miracle spring water" gartenteed to obsolve you of all your debts...At Popoff's peak in 1987, according to James Randi, he took in $4.3 million a month. After his exposure on the Tonight Show he declared bankruptcy in 1987

It does seem that Preaching scams are very lucrative at that.....

In 2003, Popoff's ministry received over $9.6 million and by 2005 the amount had risen to over $23 million. In that year he and his wife were paid a combined total of nearly $1 million, while two of his children were receiving over $180,000 each.[29] Popoff purchased a home in Bradbury, California for $4.5 million in 2007.[30][31] Some reporters are urging those who have donated money to Popoff in hopes of receiving "miracles" to report to the Attorney General in their state.[

How in the hell can one go bankrupt bringing in 4.3 Million a Month???

Edited by - n/a on 06/11/2012 09:45:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Don McManus
Advanced Member

USA
17546 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  09:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captplaid

A previous plant manager at granite city steel was cought steeling funds.

Archer Daniels Midland setup phoney swiss companies as the top mgmt bonus program.

A previous plant engineer at work was cashong in on scrap metal.

Dixon Illinois had a woman steel millions.

I have heard of bronzing things, but not steeling them.

Don

'Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.'
Brad Steele.

'The Constitution that was actually enacted and formally amended creates islands of government powers in a sea of liberty. The judicially redacted constitution creates islands of liberty rights in a sea of governmental powers.'
Randy E. Barnett

CA #3
Go to Top of Page

River Rat
Advanced Member

USA
9002 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  12:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Classic095

Remember the Dude Benn Hinn,, Send him money for prayer with a request... they found all the requests in a dumpster with the money (checks) removed,,, Laughing all the way to the bank.....
Scammers know no limits when it comes to scamming people out of their money. And yes, they will use your faith to scam you. Just because someone says they are devout does not mean they are!

That was a TV network scam -- NBC? -- and it was revealed afterward that the network tweaked the facts big-time. And it wasn't Hinn but some other guy.

An armed society is a polite society -- R. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
2867 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the tax-free benefits posed to these businesses, and the sheep who "donate" to them, should be dumped.
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12529 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  3:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just don't understand how we could have built a country as great as the USA is, with all those millions of idiots out there! They send money to all these flim flam artists, & yet they have the right to vote.

It's not just the mega-churches. The inner city churches in my area not only tolerate a nice life style for their ministers, they DEMAND it. It's apparently a poor reflection on them if their minister doesn't wear custom suits or fails to drive a luxury car. One Baltimore congregation insisted on buying their minister a Rolls Royce (used, but still, a R-R).

Neal
Go to Top of Page

Henry0Reilly
Advanced Member

USA
13699 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  4:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The profession of shaman has many advantages. It offers high status with a safe livelihood free of work in the dreary, sweaty sense. In most societies it offers legal privileges and immunities not granted to other men. But it is hard to see how a man who has been given a mandate from on High to spread tidings of joy to all mankind can be seriously interested in taking up a collection to pay his salary; it causes one to suspect that the shaman is on the moral level of any other con man. But it is a lovely work if you can stomach it. - Robert Heinlein

Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Check out what I've got on the block here at GunBroker!

Be Active Today!

Go to Top of Page

River Rat
Advanced Member

USA
9002 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  4:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice baptismal font...

Wow! Our little 25 by 50 log church would float in that pool! But ya know, it's a free country: if that's the kind of church you want to go to, then have at it. But I believe churches aren't supposed to be country clubs; they're supposed to be lifeboats.

Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8716 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  4:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really IS possible to be spiritual without being gullible.

Wonder why so many find it so difficult.
Go to Top of Page

woodhog
Advanced Member

USA
8505 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  8:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite was oral roberts, who would always cry at the end of his program to get the total up to what he hoped for at the end of the hour. We used to tune in at the end and have a beer or two and hoot at his antics
Go to Top of Page

Spartacus
Advanced Member

12066 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  8:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't know if it's still true, but used to be anyone could be a preacher and have his own church. the tax benefits are/were very good. was a preacher back in st charles (north of st louis) who saved his house from foreclosure and went on welfare after turning his house into a place of worship. hadn't paid mortgage or utilities for 6 mos. he lived down the block from me in 1988.

tom

What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

forgive your enemies, but NEVER forget their names.....JFK

The average response time for a 911 call is 4 minutes.
the average response time for a .357 magnum is 1400 FPS.
Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
12714 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  9:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Smilin Preacher!.....or is the Tiger? From Omar Kayam
Go to Top of Page

River Rat
Advanced Member

USA
9002 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  12:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spartacus

don't know if it's still true, but used to be anyone could be a preacher and have his own church.

tom

It is true that "anyone can be a preacher," and I am living proof. But if you put a clerical collar on a scam artist, you still have a scam artist -- not a man of the cloth. We will all be accountable for our choices some day, but it's not my job to worry about what the other guy is doing. I've got work to do.

There are a lot of churches around that God doesn't visit. Always were, always will be.

Edited by - River Rat on 06/12/2012 1:16:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

llama

2306 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  12:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pastor at a local church in a small town gets a house, a car, and a $90k per year salary...

The wind in the willow's playin' "Tea for Two";
The sky was yellow and the sun was blue,
Strangers stoppin' strangers just to shake their hand,
Everybody's playin' in the heart of gold band, heart of gold band.
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12529 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  1:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's possible for anyone to become a minister. There are a number of "brick & mortar" schools of divinity, but a certificate from an internet "college" is just as good. All you have to do is have a certificate & register with your state, & you are good to go.

Not everyone can earn a living at it. I know several ministers who are working regular jobs, & preach on weekends for little or no money. Only a few will have a chance to make big money; it helps a lot if your dad is a televangelist.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

eastbank
Advanced Member

3607 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  1:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what do you call two happy,s named bob? oral roberts. i know,i know not nice. eastbank.
Go to Top of Page

gesshots
Advanced Member

USA
13047 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  2:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat Robertson Mansion at Regent University, Virginia Beach ~

gesshots

The human race has only one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.
~ Mark Twain

Well. We'll see what the man's sellin'. THEN we'll shoot him. ~ Hub

Load six... if your gut, tells you too !
~ J. B. Books

Go to Top of Page

allen griggs
Advanced Member

USA
26670 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  3:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes they do live like kings.

There are a lot of new mega churches for the black community in the New Atlanta. I see billboards all over town for them, there must be a dozen or so.

By the way the mother of the preacher in the lead story, Creflo Dollar, used to be our maid when I was a kid.

Back in the fifties and early sixties most all of the White families on the north side of Atlanta had black maids.
My aunt had a maid named Matty Dollar and she worked full time for my aunt, she was married to a lawyer and Aunt Libby didn't do too much housework.
About every two weeks my aunt would "loan" Matty Dollar to my Mom for a day, of course my Mom had to pay her for the day's work.

I remember my Aunt Libby telling me that Matty Dollar was a remarkable person, that she had six children and had sent every one of them to college.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page