GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 AR10 .338 Federal?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Juggernaut

1362 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  06:21:40 AM  Show Profile
Would like to hear from those that actually own an AR10 in .338 Federal as an Armalite or DPMS and what is your opinion of it, ammunition prevalence, ballistics negligible or significant, accuracy, etc?
Thanks and regards.

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7095 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  08:05:08 AM  Show Profile
While I do not have an actual AR-10 in 338 Federal, I do have an upper in 338 Federal. I also have upper's in 7mm-08, 260 Remington, and 308, all DPMS upper's, which I swap between two DPMS lower's.

The 338 Federal, has a lot of poop out to 300-400 yards, but it's trajectory falls fast after that in the AR-10. You can not fit long enough bullets, for a high ballistic coefficient, into the magazine. Like all of the other's, it has great accuracy. From what I have seen, it likes just about anything, that will fit in the magazine.

I did work the lower's over, and put two stage Bushmaster trigger's in them, then removed them, and installed single stage Timney's, and anti-walk pins. I am a trigger pull finatic, for high end accuracy rifles.

Best

EDIT 1

The only one I know of that builds a Gas Piston system, in the AR-10 chassis, would be POF. The GAP-10 that I have uses POF upper and lower, and has been converted to DI. All of my DPMS upper's are DI.

The 338 Federal has a better Taylor factor out to 300-400 yards than the 308, and hits with absolute authority on deer out to that range.

Even though they all have different model number's and names, they are all AR-10 chassis.

Take a look at these auctions on the otherside...
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/BrowseItems.aspx?IncludeSellers=484399

Edited by - tsr1965 on 06/15/2012 7:56:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

British Indian Ocean Territories
27634 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  6:47:42 PM  Show Profile
Just bought this one a short time ago. Haven't got to shoot it yet as I'm waiting to buy a scope for another rifle so I can take them both out to the range. Since the range I shoot at is like 50 miles away I don't get there as often as I like. So far all I have about 140 rounds of the Federal 200 grain Fusion ammo.

Kill the Head and the Body Will Follow.
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator

They made penicillin from moldy bread so there is hope for you.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page

Juggernaut

1362 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  7:25:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by armilite

Just bought this one a short time ago. Haven't got to shoot it yet as I'm waiting to buy a scope for another rifle so I can take them both out to the range. Since the range I shoot at is like 50 miles away I don't get there as often as I like. So far all I have about 140 rounds of the Federal 200 grain Fusion ammo.

Very nice, I definitely want to know how it goes...

Do you know if the ballistics difference is negligible or significant as compared to the .308, as I only found some ballistics for the .338 Federal and wasn't enough to make a definite determination.

I presume that its a DI gun, is it built like a tank and feel and weigh about like the AR10 or heavier and larger?

How prevalent is the .338 Federal ammunition?

I would want to blue the barrel(which not sure why they didnt) and add a picatinny rail to the top of the gas-block and add buis.
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

27634 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  8:00:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Juggernaut

quote:

Do you know if the ballistics difference is negligible or significant as compared to the .308, as I only found some ballistics for the .338 Federal and wasn't enough to make a definite determination.

I presume that its a DI gun, is it built like a tank and feel and weigh about like the AR10 or heavier and larger?

I would want to blue the barrel(which not sure why they didnt) and add a picatinny rail to the top of the gas-block and add buis.

Yes it's a DI gun 338 Federal ammo isn't all that hard to find but I bought the lowest priced Federal ammo available $25 a box. I'm not sure if anyone else is loading it other then Federal. I'm also not crazy about shiney stainless barrels either. I may do like I did with my left handed Colt/Stag heavy stainless AR in 5.56. I painted the barrel with Brownells Dura Hyde II.

Below is a picture of it with the old single shot DPMS upper. It has since been converted to a Stag upper with the original Walthar barrel. If you look close you can see the stainless barrel through the slots in the Badger hand guard. I may go the Badger Hand Guard route with the .338 as well.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8946 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  8:23:30 PM  Show Profile
Juggernaut,

This is the link to the Federal Premium rifle products section online:

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

Simply select the cartridge, (they state 'caliber' which is stupidly incorrect...) .338 Federal, then select the graph you want to see from the bullet/cartridge combinations. Do the same for the .308 Win. and compare.

All of my suppliers have the .338 Federal products in stock as we speak.

We stopped using a majority of DPMS parts for reasons undisclosed here, although we still purchase a few on occasion. We use some Armalite parts but with most parts being custom machined to our specification by a well known custom shop.

The AR10's, for lack of a better generic term, are superbly accurate with the Federal ammunition. But bear in mind, this is not a long range cartridge by any means. A quick perusal of the Federal graphs will reinforce this. However, the energy is slightly higher in all bullet weights when compared to the venerable .308 Win. Maybe not much but more none the less.

It's also easy to reload for as well...

Best.

Go to Top of Page

Juggernaut

1362 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  06:46:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tsr1965

While I do not have an actual AR-10 in 338 Federal, I do have an upper in 338 Federal. I also have upper's in 7mm-08, 260 Remington, and 308, all DPMS upper's, which I swap between two DPMS lower's.
The 338 Federal, has a lot of poop out to 300-400 yards, but it's trajectory falls fast after that in the AR-10. You can not fit long enough bullets, for a high ballistic coefficient, into the magazine. Like all of the other's, it has great accuracy. From what I have seen, it likes just about anything, that will fit in the magazine.
I did work the lower's over, and put two stage Bushmaster trigger's in them, then removed them, and installed single stage Timney's, and anti-walk pins. I am a trigger pull finatic, for high end accuracy rifles.
Best
EDIT 1
The only one I know of that builds a Gas Piston system, in the AR-10 chassis, would be POF. The GAP-10 that I have uses POF upper and lower, and has been converted to DI. All of my DPMS upper's are DI.
The 338 Federal has a better Taylor factor out to 300-400 yards than the 308, and hits with absolute authority on deer out to that range.
Even though they all have different model number's and names, they are all AR-10 chassis.

Okay thanks.
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes it's a DI gun 338 Federal ammo isn't all that hard to find but I bought the lowest priced Federal ammo available $25 a box. I'm not sure if anyone else is loading it other then Federal. I'm also not crazy about shiney stainless barrels either. I may do like I did with my left handed Colt/Stag heavy stainless AR in 5.56. I painted the barrel with Brownells Dura Hyde II.
Below is a picture of it with the old single shot DPMS upper. It has since been converted to a Stag upper with the original Walthar barrel. If you look close you can see the stainless barrel through the slots in the Badger hand guard. I may go the Badger Hand Guard route with the .338 as well.

Very nice, did you do all the work yourself?

I like the shade on that scope.
That would look great on the .338 as well.

Does the Armalite AR10T .338 feel like its built like a tank as it kind of looks like it?
quote:
Originally posted by nononsense

Juggernaut,
Simply select the cartridge, (they state 'caliber' which is stupidly incorrect...) .338 Federal, then select the graph you want to see from the bullet/cartridge combinations. Do the same for the .308 Win. and compare.
We stopped using a majority of DPMS parts for reasons undisclosed here, although we still purchase a few on occasion. We use some Armalite parts but with most parts being custom machined to our specification by a well known custom shop
The AR10's, for lack of a better generic term, are superbly accurate with the Federal ammunition. But bear in mind, this is not a long range cartridge by any means. A quick perusal of the Federal graphs will reinforce this. However, the energy is slightly higher in all bullet weights when compared to the venerable .308 Win. Maybe not much but more none the less.
Best.

Okay good to go, looks like my browser settings were disabling the display box for whatever reason...
That is strange about the 'caliber' as opposed to 'cartridge' for ammunition...
Okay thanks for that information...
In muzzle velocity and muzzle energy the .338 Federal out performs the .30-06, .308 Win and .358 Win.
In another comparison the .338 Federal 210gr to the .308 Winchester 180gr, looks like the .338 Fed has a significant amount more energy closer in than the .308 Win and then it loses a slight amount of velocity at distance than the .308 Win which is understandable considering the mass/weight difference, but penetration looks superior, so not bad.

Can the .338 Federal use .308 AR10 20 round magazines at a slight capacity loss due to size?

Is the .338 Federal the new 'AR10' round would you say, once it catches on, does it seem popular?

Regards
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8946 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  07:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Juggernaut,

"Can the .338 Federal use .308 AR10 20 round magazines at a slight capacity loss due to size?"

I haven't tried it personally but it should be fine since the case is simply a .308 Win anyway.

"Is the .338 Federal the new 'AR10' round would you say, once it catches on, does it seem popular?"

It will be hard pressed to overcome the .308 under any circumstances but I doubt it will gain THAT much attention. It's a terrific cartridge but there are too many stodgy folks who will run with the crowd like the folks who buy the .30-06's and .270's every year without thinking (or caring) about the alternatives.

The guys who hunt pigs and the woods hunters used to shorter ranges will be the winners with this cartridge. We've stepped it out to 400 yards but most folks won't have the scope for this range and accuracy.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

Juggernaut

1362 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  08:28:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Juggernaut,
"Can the .338 Federal use .308 AR10 20 round magazines at a slight capacity loss due to size?"
I haven't tried it personally but it should be fine since the case is simply a .308 Win anyway.
"Is the .338 Federal the new 'AR10' round would you say, once it catches on, does it seem popular?"
It will be hard pressed to overcome the .308 under any circumstances but I doubt it will gain THAT much attention. It's a terrific cartridge but there are too many stodgy folks who will run with the crowd like the folks who buy the .30-06's and .270's every year without thinking (or caring) about the alternatives.
The guys who hunt pigs and the woods hunters used to shorter ranges will be the winners with this cartridge. We've stepped it out to 400 yards but most folks won't have the scope for this range and accuracy.
Best.

Alright thanks for the information, I hope that people realize the great potential of this cartridge and that it remains as another great AR10 round, although I am thinking that it will at least to some anyway.
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

27634 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  4:05:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tsr1965

Best
EDIT 1

Okay thanks.
quote:

quote:

quote:

Very nice, did you do all the work yourself?

I like the shade on that scope.
That would look great on the .338 as well.

Does the Armalite AR10T .338 feel like its built like a tank as it kind of looks like it?
quote:

Juggernaut,
We stopped using a majority of DPMS parts for reasons undisclosed here, although we still purchase a few on occasion. We use some Armalite parts but with most parts being custom machined to our specification by a well known custom shop
Best.

Okay good to go, looks like my browser settings were disabling the display box for whatever reason...
That is strange about the 'caliber' as opposed to 'cartridge' for ammunition...
Okay thanks for that information...
In muzzle velocity and muzzle energy the .338 Federal out performs the .30-06, .308 Win and .358 Win.
In another comparison the .338 Federal 210gr to the .308 Winchester 180gr, looks like the .338 Fed has a significant amount more energy closer in than the .308 Win and then it loses a slight amount of velocity at distance than the .308 Win which is understandable considering the mass/weight difference, but penetration looks superior, so not bad.

Can the .338 Federal use .308 AR10 20 round magazines at a slight capacity loss due to size?

Is the .338 Federal the new 'AR10' round would you say, once it catches on, does it seem popular?

Regards

Yes I did all the work on the upper the lower is all Colt Match Target.
The upper receiver and BCG was DPMS. I was having major problems with it so I removed the DPMS stuff and replaced it with all Stag stuff. The picture shows the old upper.

Keep your eyes open as the scope is going to be given away in my 15K post giveaway Part II.

The Armalite's are built like tanks and are slightly heavier then the DPMS models across the board. That is one thing I like about the Armalite's compared to DPMS.

G19

Go to Top of Page

Ray B
Advanced Member

9343 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  4:28:03 PM  Show Profile
The 338 Federal should function well in any of the 7.62 variant rifles, since the port pressure could be made very similar, and the case is virtually the same, as far as cycling through the action. I'd give the Swift 210 Scirocco a serious look if you're into hand loading.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page