GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Skunk....My wife made me do it.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  9:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..She's been seeing a skunk around the garden and wood pile lately. It's about dusk now, and I saw him waddling down the driveway. 870 in hand, I went out and saw it was the cutest little pint size skunk I'd ever seen. I had no blood lust for the little guy.
..I got close enough to poke him in the nose with the gun barrel. He knew to raise his tail but never turned his backside toward me. My wife is watching all this and saying "shoot the darn thing!". I conceded and herded him across the road before dumping him.
..I don't feel good about this at all, but Cathy didn't want the grandkids (or her) to surprise it and get sprayed. Can they even spray at a young age? Guess it had to be done....

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.******

"Send lawyers, guns and money"

Edited by - tapwater on 07/21/2012 9:41:49 PM

Horse Plains Drifter
Advanced Member

USA
25044 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  9:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harmless critters for the most part. I'd of left it alone.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad

U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
CA#8......3%

Gadsdens by Werwolf
Go to Top of Page

trapguy2007
Advanced Member

USA
8608 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  9:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have held young ones when I worked for a Vet while in High School .
They will curl up in your hands and go to sleep .
The Vet "descented" several each year for pets .
He had an old set of surgical instruments that he kept for this purpose .
The scent is rough on stainless steel and takes several times through the Autoclave to get rid of .
Go to Top of Page

bigoutside
Advanced Member

USA
14786 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  9:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mrs says 'kill it'. It's dead.

Go to Top of Page

JamesRK
Advanced Member

USA
21623 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  9:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with both you and your wife. I’d hate to do it but if he’s going to hang around the house on a continuing basis, he has to go.

Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  10:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..My first thought was having it descented but the way wildlife laws are, I couldn't even possess it. Local vets would turn me in. We've already had a couple pet coons, and they didn't turn out very well when they were older. Buddy once raised a coyote from bottle age, but never really got the "wild" out of him. Wild critters belong in the wild, not as pets. It's too bad that he took our place for home. I'm really feeling down about killing it.

Go to Top of Page

hk-91
Advanced Member

USA
9752 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  10:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buddy had one that lived under his deck for years. never sprayed or bit anyone. Was kinda like a pet till the wife found out. She had the son shoot it. Buddy wasnt to happy
Go to Top of Page

allen griggs
Advanced Member

USA
27294 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  10:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not have shot it.
Go to Top of Page

scrumpyjack
Advanced Member

USA
4505 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  10:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ECC

Thanks folks. I don't know why I have so much trouble trying to find old topics that were posted on here.

Go to Top of Page

CS8161
Advanced Member

USA
13990 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  10:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live and let live unless it poses a threat.

CS8161
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!

My Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=144598

Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  11:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CS8161

..Couldn't agree more. I've turned mighty soft in my old age. Heck, I even let the coons have their share of sweet corn. We can spare it. Cathy viewed him as a threat to her and the grandkids (5,6 and 10), and I can understand that. It's not like a skunk will attack if left alone, but surprise one and you'll get a face full.

Go to Top of Page

JimmyJack

USA
1914 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  11:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little ones can spray! Dont ask me!
Go to Top of Page

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
4389 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  11:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skunks are one of the largest carriers of Rabies. I hold them no ill will but they are not going to live in the same area as the grandkids. I agree with the wife,,it had to go
Go to Top of Page

Spartacus
Advanced Member

12068 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  11:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

nah, i used to think that way.
had baby possums raid the hen house.
mrs said "they're just trying to get out of the cold"
they would run out when i enter, so i let 'em be.
6 mos later she came running from the yard screaming "something is killing the chickens!!" (i think i posted about it here, some years ago)
9mm (it's what i had in my pocket at the time) dispatched the threat quickly.

had raccoons raid my feed bin.
mrs thought they were "cute", but that's another story.....

tom

What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

forgive your enemies, but NEVER forget their names.....JFK

The average response time for a 911 call is 4 minutes.
the average response time for a .357 magnum is 1400 FPS.
Go to Top of Page

redneckandy
Advanced Member

USA
6607 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  03:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never had a problem with skunks. I had one that hung around my campsite at my farm for years. I would give him a little something to eat occasionally. He never threatened to spray, he just did his thing and I did mine. I kinda miss seeing him down there.

"Dazzle them with brilliance of baffle them with BS."

"Chains is coming"

"ONLY THE PARANOID SURVIVE"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Go to Top of Page

Waco Waltz
Advanced Member

USA
11824 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  04:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Persoanlly I would have tried to make it feel un welcome first. I don't know if they are intelligent enough to get the hint but I'd learn by trying first.

I've lived where Skunks Roam from a baby till 2008 and I never had a problem with one.

“There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.”
George Orwell, 1984
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37547 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  09:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just so you know, a skunk has no need to turn his tail to you. He can spray you standing nose to nose.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

1911a1-fan
Advanced Member

Chile
31396 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  09:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have had to kill them, i also have caught them in a live trap and relocated them, just throw a sheet or blanket over the trap, drive a safe distance from the house and release, i never got sprayed

my dog did once, pretty special

quote:
Originally posted by nunn

PLEASE...Will all of you who carry a 1911, chamber loaded, hammer down, unload it, leave it home, and carry something else.

Condition 2 is the most dangerous condition for a 1911. In that condition, it can fire if dropped. I refer to those without the Colt Series 80 passive firing pin safety.

Condition 1 is the way to go. If that makes you nervous, carry chamber empty or get a Glock.

FOR SALE RED GHOST PEPPERS, AKA: BHUT JOLOKIA, ALL 1,000,000
+ SCOVILLE

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=98146
Go to Top of Page

bullshot
Advanced Member

5660 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shame to have killed it. Very few people are killed or maimed by skunks.

"Just because you're paranoid, dosen't mean they're not out to get you"
Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  11:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..We went through this a few weeks ago, when I had to eradicate a bumblebee nest. In that case, I also refused to put my grandkids at risk. Now, I know that skunks are pretty shy creatures and are normally harmless. On the other hand, I don't want to bring a five year old to the dog wash. I think most here would feel the same under the circumstances.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26702 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  11:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A skunk will not normally spray unless it is cornered..

The Warning
Skunks are good about warning their predators. They will run directly towards the enemy, stop a few feet from it, stomp their front feet, hiss, grunt, or even screech. If the enemy continues to pursue, the skunk will turn, hump its back, and position itself so the head and tail face the predator. It actually forms a U shape. It will then raise its tail and spray. The striped skunk may walk on its front feet with its tail in the air to give warning. Skunks can accurately spray 10 feet and spray up to 25 feet.

Leave em alone and ya got nothing to worry about...

Go to Top of Page

Marc1301
Advanced Member

USA
30026 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  1:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tapwater

..My first thought was having it descented but the way wildlife laws are, I couldn't even possess it. Local vets would turn me in. We've already had a couple pet coons, and they didn't turn out very well when they were older. Buddy once raised a coyote from bottle age, but never really got the "wild" out of him. Wild critters belong in the wild, not as pets. It's too bad that he took our place for home. I'm really feeling down about killing it.

Tap,....I once had an old guy for a customer that lived out in the sticks in a real old house on 50 acres.

He raised a yote from a pup as well. The thing acted just like a dog around him, but was very wary of other humans.

Old feller would sit in a lawnchair while I was working with this yote curled up in his lap. It would lick him just like any other dog would. He also had a wolf hybrid, that I finally was able to approach and pet.

Never saw anything like that before, or since.
The wolf took a long while before it would let me get near it. It would skulk around circling from a distance largely, but the old guy would call him in, and tell him to stay. The first time I walked up to it, I was a little more than a bit nervous.

He told me certain things to do, and after that it was fine with me. Something to do with showing myself as being dominant he said.

That old man must have had some kind of a secret way in dealing with 'semi-wild' animals or something. It was really amazing to me.

He must have passed, because I used to get a call from him once or twice a year. I always wondered what happened to those animals, as he appeared to live alone.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

"Beam me up Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here." William Shatner
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

8846 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  1:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If young children are around and the skunk made your place it's home, IMO, it needed to go. If it bothered you the next time try to live trap and relocate. If you do, ease a blanket over the trap before picking it up.
Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  1:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..Interesting story, Mark. Some folks just have a "way" with critters. I used a live trap at work to get rid of cats, coons, possums and skunks. Every skunk that was trapped had already sprayed when we'd come in in the morning.
..This little guy was sure cute and seemed to have little fear of me, considering that I got within three feet of him. There simply was no alternative at the time.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26702 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  2:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again someone posts about RABIES ..Skunks are one of the largest carriers of Rabies.

MYTHS VERSUS FACTS
1. Myth: Skunks are rabies carriers. (Fact: This erroneous statement implies that all skunks carry rabies. All mammals can contract rabies if infected from the bite of a rabid animal. Most wild animals stay clear of skunks to avoid being sprayed in the eyes, so the odds that a skunk will get bitten by another species is rare.)

2. Myth: Skunks are the number one carrier of rabies. (Fact: Unvaccinated outdoor cats and free-roaming dogs are a much higher risk because of their access to wild animals. The reported totals of how many skunks have rabies are very biased numbers. Each county has a different animal that ranks number one.)

Myth: Foaming at the mouth is a sure sign of rabies. (Fact: Foaming at the mouth can also be a symptom of distemper, coccidia, round worms, ticks, or other internal or external parasite overload, diabetes, poisoning, liver failure, epilepsy, allergies, herpes, and severe dehydration and emaciation, all of which are more common than rabies.)

4. Myth: If you are bitten by a rabid skunk, you will die. (Fact: Research statistics show that 70% of those untreated victims of rabid animal bites did not get ill or contract rabies when they followed proper and immediate cleansing of the wound.) Still, it should not be treated lightly!

5. Myth: Animal rehabilitators might accidentally release rabies-infected orphan skunks. (Fact: Highly unlikely if done right. In the four to five months it takes to rehabilitate baby skunks, any who have rabies would have shed the virus and already died. Any skunks released will have been observed long enough to be confident they do not have rabies.

6. Myth: Skunks carry rabies up to two years. (Fact: This has never been proven. Even IF it were true, you can only get rabies from a bite of a rabid animal up to a week before it shows clinical signs of rabies whether it is two weeks or two years. At that time the rabies would be in the saliva where you could contract the virus. The rest of the "carrying" time you, nor any other animals, would not get rabies.)

7. Myth: According to the Dept. of Fish & Game, the only way to check an animal for rabies is to remove its head and examine the brain. (Fact: There are procedures that can be done on live skunks. Saliva, tear duct, hair folicle, and estrogen testing are four, but they aren't considered as reputable. It is even possible that a piece of brain tissue could be extracted from boring a little hole in the brain where the animal wouldn't have to be destroyed.)

8. Myth: There is no rabies vaccine for skunks. (Fact: This is not true! There is documented proof that the Imrab "killed virus" rabies vaccine works on 100% of the tested skunks, and it immunizes from one to two years. Just because this vaccine hasn't been "approved" yet, doesn't mean that it isn't "proven".) It just hasn't been approved for use on skunks yet. Vaccinating skunks before release helps in rabies control.

9. Myth: Skunks walking around during the day is a sure sign that they have rabies. (Fact: Skunks will come out any time of the day or night when there is food available. Trying to fool skunks by placing pet food outside during the day does NOT work. Orphaned baby skunks look for their mother, food and help 24-hours a day until they find what they need. You would most likely only see them during the day.)

10. Myth: You can get rabies if sprayed in the eyes. (Fact: You can only get rabies from the saliva when bitten. There are rare cases where one could get rabies from handling the blood of a rabid animal's brain or if a rabid animal was shot in the head and it got into a cut or eyes.)

11. Myth: If you are sprayed in the eyes by skunk spray, you will go blind. (Fact: This is not true. There are a couple rare cases where an animal and a human died after being sprayed in the eyes by a skunk, but it was because of the stress from it that caused a heart attack. The dog was left without being cleaned of the stench and it couldn't handle this. The man had such a bad heart that any kind of stress would have had the same results.

12. Myth: Skunk spray is urine. (Fact: It is an acrid yellow oily foamy spray that comes out of a gland that is just inside the anal area.)

13. Myth: Skunks spray each other. (Fact: Skunks do not spray each other. They may "whiff" when they are startled, play/fight or mate, but this airs out quickly.)

14. Myth: Skunks spray all the time. (Fact: If not startled or defending their young, they will rarely spray. They give plenty of warning signals before spraying. Their spray is a precious commodity that is saved for only life-threatening situations. In a perfect situation, a skunk could actually go through life never spraying anything.)

15. Myth: Skunks cannot spray unless their back feet are on the ground. (Fact: Because skunks rarely spray, this is how these myths were determined. A skunk can spray when the tail is held down or under, when it is doing a handstand (especially in the case of a spotted skunk), and when being hung by their tail. They simply choose not to most of the time.)

16. Myth: A skunk cannot spray when hung by the tail. (Fact: See #15.)

17. Myth: A skunk cannot spray when the tail is tucked underneath to hide the anus. (Fact: See #15.)

18. Myth: Skunks smell. (Fact: They are very clean animals and actually smell better than dogs. It is only what they spray that smells.)

19. Myth: Skunks can jump and climb well. (Fact: Only the little spotted skunk can. Striped skunks have limited climbing abilities and don't fall well. They cannot climb items such as table legs or jump like a cat. A wild skunk can only get into a garbage can or onto a picnic table if there are bags of garbage piled next to it, or if the benches are next to the table. To get over a fence, one side of the fence has to have a heavily-foliaged bush next to it or a huge pile of lumber that they can scramble up onto, but then when they get over to the other side, they have to make a long fall and can't get out sometimes. They don't climb into your attic, chimney or roof. If you smell a skunk up there, there is a rare chance that it could be a spotted skunk, but more likely that it is an owl that was sprayed while killing a skunk.)

20. Myth: Skunks kill chickens. (Fact: Skunks cannot chase and catch fast animals such as the mouse, rat, chicken unless it is dead, injured or trapped. They usually eat the eggs, babies in nests or slow chicks.)

21. Myth: Skunks are useless vermin. (Fact: Skunks are important to the balance of nature. They kill all rodents; black widow spiders, rattlesnakes, scorpions; and garden pests such as snails, crickets, gophers, grubs; cockroaches and all other insects.

22. Myth: Skunks are polecats. (Fact: A polecat is a weasel. The European polecat is the common household pet, the ferret.)

23 Myth: Skunks are in the weasel family. (Fact: Skunks are no longer considered to be in the mustelid family, but a family of their own. They never were really "in the weasel family" even when they were considered a mustelid, any more than that they would be in the otter, wolverine, badger, etc. family. They are now in the mephitid, or mephitidae, family.)

24. Myth: Domestic skunks are just wild skunks. (Fact: Any animal that is more than three generations removed from the wild is considered domestic, but reputable skunk breeders have been breeding their stock for up to 60 years.)

25. Myth: If a domestic skunk escapes from a home, they can survive. (Fact: Only wild mothers teach their young how to survive in the wild. Plus domestic skunks are descented, hence they have no way to protect themselves.)

26. Myth: If domestic skunks escape, they will spread disease to the wild skunk populations. (Fact: They are rabies free because of breeding, have been inoculated with the rabies vaccine, and are much healthier stock than the wild skunks.)

27. Myth: Skunks are nocturnal. (Fact: They are crepuscular which means they come out mostly at dusk and dawn.)

Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  2:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..This episode got me to thinking about the wildlife laws. One can shoot a coyote year around, but cannot keep one as a pet. Crows have a hunting season, but again, you cannot keep one. I had a crow with a broken leg, once. I splinted it so he could walk until it healed.
We've nursed baby critters of all kinds, knowing it was against the law.....yet it's perfectly legal to kill them. There's something wrong with that.

Go to Top of Page

Marc1301
Advanced Member

USA
30026 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  2:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

..This episode got me to thinking about the wildlife laws. One can shoot a coyote year around, but cannot keep one as a pet. Crows have a hunting season, but again, you cannot keep one. I had a crow with a broken leg, once. I splinted it so he could walk until it healed.
We've nursed baby critters of all kinds, knowing it was against the law.....yet it's perfectly legal to kill them. There's something wrong with that.

Tap,....you are a good man, and I can tell you are upset a bit over this.

You did what your wife wanted, and I think you have made up for it far more by the good things you have done to rescue some critters.

I'm becoming an old 'softy' like you as well, so you're not alone.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  2:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are only a few critters I will shoot on site, coyotes are one of them. Gophers in the yard are goners, as long as they are in the pasture I leave them alone. Birds, I love birds but I will remove a nest if they become a nuisance like the ones nesting in my porch roof. I have two big assed jackrabbits hanging around, I don't mess with them. Snakes, say what you want but a snake seen on my property is a dead snake! All the other critters that hang around are left alone however I am wanting to cook up a pronghorn but I'll have to wait Skunks, been around them before, no problem with them but I did have a coon dog that had a bad habit of getting sprayed.
Go to Top of Page

llama

2306 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  2:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What makes it funnier are the fish laws... here in Fl. you can keep gamefish in an aquarium at home (bass, etc). But... you gotta catch 'em legally (ie, size, method, location), you must have a valid fishing license, and whatever you have in a tank counts against daily and/or possession limits.

The wind in the willow's playin' "Tea for Two";
The sky was yellow and the sun was blue,
Strangers stoppin' strangers just to shake their hand,
Everybody's playin' in the heart of gold band, heart of gold band.
Go to Top of Page

Marc1301
Advanced Member

USA
30026 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  2:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck

There are only a few critters I will shoot on site, coyotes are one of them. Gophers in the yard are goners, as long as they are in the pasture I leave them alone. Birds, I love birds but I will remove a nest if they become a nuisance like the ones nesting in my porch roof. I have two big assed jackrabbits hanging around, I don't mess with them. Snakes, say what you want but a snake seen on my property is a dead snake! All the other critters that hang around are left alone however I am wanting to cook up a pronghorn but I'll have to wait Skunks, been around them before, no problem with them but I did have a coon dog that had a bad habit of getting sprayed.

Why are you so afraid of snakes man?
If non-poisonous they are your best friends.

Go to Top of Page

bigoutside
Advanced Member

USA
14786 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  2:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Classic095

Again someone posts about RABIES ..Skunks are one of the largest carriers of Rabies.

MYTHS VERSUS FACTS
1. Myth: Skunks are rabies carriers. (Fact: This erroneous statement implies that all skunks carry rabies. All mammals can contract rabies if infected from the bite of a rabid animal. Most wild animals stay clear of skunks to avoid being sprayed in the eyes, so the odds that a skunk will get bitten by another species is rare.)

2. Myth: Skunks are the number one carrier of rabies. (Fact: Unvaccinated outdoor cats and free-roaming dogs are a much higher risk because of their access to wild animals. The reported totals of how many skunks have rabies are very biased numbers. Each county has a different animal that ranks number one.)

Myth: Foaming at the mouth is a sure sign of rabies. (Fact: Foaming at the mouth can also be a symptom of distemper, coccidia, round worms, ticks, or other internal or external parasite overload, diabetes, poisoning, liver failure, epilepsy, allergies, herpes, and severe dehydration and emaciation, all of which are more common than rabies.)

4. Myth: If you are bitten by a rabid skunk, you will die. (Fact: Research statistics show that 70% of those untreated victims of rabid animal bites did not get ill or contract rabies when they followed proper and immediate cleansing of the wound.) Still, it should not be treated lightly!

5. Myth: Animal rehabilitators might accidentally release rabies-infected orphan skunks. (Fact: Highly unlikely if done right. In the four to five months it takes to rehabilitate baby skunks, any who have rabies would have shed the virus and already died. Any skunks released will have been observed long enough to be confident they do not have rabies.

6. Myth: Skunks carry rabies up to two years. (Fact: This has never been proven. Even IF it were true, you can only get rabies from a bite of a rabid animal up to a week before it shows clinical signs of rabies whether it is two weeks or two years. At that time the rabies would be in the saliva where you could contract the virus. The rest of the "carrying" time you, nor any other animals, would not get rabies.)

7. Myth: According to the Dept. of Fish & Game, the only way to check an animal for rabies is to remove its head and examine the brain. (Fact: There are procedures that can be done on live skunks. Saliva, tear duct, hair folicle, and estrogen testing are four, but they aren't considered as reputable. It is even possible that a piece of brain tissue could be extracted from boring a little hole in the brain where the animal wouldn't have to be destroyed.)

8. Myth: There is no rabies vaccine for skunks. (Fact: This is not true! There is documented proof that the Imrab "killed virus" rabies vaccine works on 100% of the tested skunks, and it immunizes from one to two years. Just because this vaccine hasn't been "approved" yet, doesn't mean that it isn't "proven".) It just hasn't been approved for use on skunks yet. Vaccinating skunks before release helps in rabies control.

9. Myth: Skunks walking around during the day is a sure sign that they have rabies. (Fact: Skunks will come out any time of the day or night when there is food available. Trying to fool skunks by placing pet food outside during the day does NOT work. Orphaned baby skunks look for their mother, food and help 24-hours a day until they find what they need. You would most likely only see them during the day.)

10. Myth: You can get rabies if sprayed in the eyes. (Fact: You can only get rabies from the saliva when bitten. There are rare cases where one could get rabies from handling the blood of a rabid animal's brain or if a rabid animal was shot in the head and it got into a cut or eyes.)

11. Myth: If you are sprayed in the eyes by skunk spray, you will go blind. (Fact: This is not true. There are a couple rare cases where an animal and a human died after being sprayed in the eyes by a skunk, but it was because of the stress from it that caused a heart attack. The dog was left without being cleaned of the stench and it couldn't handle this. The man had such a bad heart that any kind of stress would have had the same results.

12. Myth: Skunk spray is urine. (Fact: It is an acrid yellow oily foamy spray that comes out of a gland that is just inside the anal area.)

13. Myth: Skunks spray each other. (Fact: Skunks do not spray each other. They may "whiff" when they are startled, play/fight or mate, but this airs out quickly.)

14. Myth: Skunks spray all the time. (Fact: If not startled or defending their young, they will rarely spray. They give plenty of warning signals before spraying. Their spray is a precious commodity that is saved for only life-threatening situations. In a perfect situation, a skunk could actually go through life never spraying anything.)

15. Myth: Skunks cannot spray unless their back feet are on the ground. (Fact: Because skunks rarely spray, this is how these myths were determined. A skunk can spray when the tail is held down or under, when it is doing a handstand (especially in the case of a spotted skunk), and when being hung by their tail. They simply choose not to most of the time.)

16. Myth: A skunk cannot spray when hung by the tail. (Fact: See #15.)

17. Myth: A skunk cannot spray when the tail is tucked underneath to hide the anus. (Fact: See #15.)

18. Myth: Skunks smell. (Fact: They are very clean animals and actually smell better than dogs. It is only what they spray that smells.)

19. Myth: Skunks can jump and climb well. (Fact: Only the little spotted skunk can. Striped skunks have limited climbing abilities and don't fall well. They cannot climb items such as table legs or jump like a cat. A wild skunk can only get into a garbage can or onto a picnic table if there are bags of garbage piled next to it, or if the benches are next to the table. To get over a fence, one side of the fence has to have a heavily-foliaged bush next to it or a huge pile of lumber that they can scramble up onto, but then when they get over to the other side, they have to make a long fall and can't get out sometimes. They don't climb into your attic, chimney or roof. If you smell a skunk up there, there is a rare chance that it could be a spotted skunk, but more likely that it is an owl that was sprayed while killing a skunk.)

20. Myth: Skunks kill chickens. (Fact: Skunks cannot chase and catch fast animals such as the mouse, rat, chicken unless it is dead, injured or trapped. They usually eat the eggs, babies in nests or slow chicks.)

21. Myth: Skunks are useless vermin. (Fact: Skunks are important to the balance of nature. They kill all rodents; black widow spiders, rattlesnakes, scorpions; and garden pests such as snails, crickets, gophers, grubs; cockroaches and all other insects.

22. Myth: Skunks are polecats. (Fact: A polecat is a weasel. The European polecat is the common household pet, the ferret.)

23 Myth: Skunks are in the weasel family. (Fact: Skunks are no longer considered to be in the mustelid family, but a family of their own. They never were really "in the weasel family" even when they were considered a mustelid, any more than that they would be in the otter, wolverine, badger, etc. family. They are now in the mephitid, or mephitidae, family.)

24. Myth: Domestic skunks are just wild skunks. (Fact: Any animal that is more than three generations removed from the wild is considered domestic, but reputable skunk breeders have been breeding their stock for up to 60 years.)

25. Myth: If a domestic skunk escapes from a home, they can survive. (Fact: Only wild mothers teach their young how to survive in the wild. Plus domestic skunks are descented, hence they have no way to protect themselves.)

26. Myth: If domestic skunks escape, they will spread disease to the wild skunk populations. (Fact: They are rabies free because of breeding, have been inoculated with the rabies vaccine, and are much healthier stock than the wild skunks.)

27. Myth: Skunks are nocturnal. (Fact: They are crepuscular which means they come out mostly at dusk and dawn.)

Classic.
#4 makes me question the whole list.
I don't doubt that you found this skunk resource. But that one statement is total crap. Anyone who has been bitten by a rabid anything is going to do the full injection course.

No one waits to become symptomatic.

I can't fathom a conversation where a known rabies carrying animal has bitten someone, and treatment is refused because the victim 'washed it real good'. And that would be the only way the original skunk proponent could possibly make that statement.
Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  2:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..There once was an old black fella that ran coon dogs in the nearby woods. Sometimes, one of his hounds would end up at my house, looking for a drink and a rest. I always took him into my office and called the old guy, who lived about 30 miles away. Once, the hound had been skunk sprayed. I did the whole tomato juice, vinegar thing and got him cleaned up.
..That old guy always brought me some beer or whiskey in return for taking care of his hounds. He must be long gone now, but I'll always remember our friendship. He was in his seventies at the time and I was 20 something. He just loved to run the hounds and never killed the treed coons.

Go to Top of Page

Marc1301
Advanced Member

USA
30026 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  2:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

..There once was an old black fella that ran coon dogs in the nearby woods. Sometimes, one of his hounds would end up at my house, looking for a drink and a rest. I always took him into my office and called the old guy, who lived about 30 miles away. Once, the hound had been skunk sprayed. I did the whole tomato juice, vinegar thing and got him cleaned up.
..That old guy always brought me some beer or whiskey in return for taking care of his hounds. He must be long gone now, but I'll always remember our friendship. He was in his seventies at the time and I was 20 something. He just loved to run the hounds and never killed the treed coons.

Don't you miss those types of old guys?
I know I do.

Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

9163 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  3:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc1301

quote:

Don't you miss those types of old guys?
I know I do.

..I sure do Mark. Living in the farming community my whole life, I knew many of them. Often, they just wanted someone to listen to their tales. I always had the time to lend an ear. Just wish that I'd recorded them...

Go to Top of Page

Spartacus
Advanced Member

12068 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  3:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

like Big has already said, that's a bunch of hooey.
granted, not everyone bitten by a potential rabies carrier is treated, each case is evaluated by criteria.
a stray dog that bites you because you tried to pet it is less of a concern than a stray dog that runs up and bites your leg for no reason.
the wound itself is characterized as well. merely breaking the skin is not a criteria for TX.
a deep, irregular bite indicates the animal attacked and held on to injure, rather than defend.
lastly, multiple deep bites is aggression, rather than defense.
the species comes in to play as well. a stray dog or cat is much less likely to carry rabies than a wild animal that normally would flee contact with humans.
in thailand, my CO got bit by a wild dog. it was a drive by biting. small dog ran up and bit him on the leg and ran off. he got the full treatment. as advised by our infectious disease team.
here in the states, i've fad folks in the ER with similar wounds, but incurred after THEY approached the dog. usually, they had seen the dog in the neighborhood, and wanted to help it. they didn't get treated.
If you come to my ER with a bite wound from a skunk, you get treated. only exception is if you killed the skunk and brought it with you. then you get a 24 hour reprieve while we send the sunk head(brain) off for analysis.

tom

What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

forgive your enemies, but NEVER forget their names.....JFK

The average response time for a 911 call is 4 minutes.
the average response time for a .357 magnum is 1400 FPS.
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

Mozambique
28470 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  3:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been known to foam at the mouth on a few occasions.

Kill the Head and the Body Will Follow.
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator

They made penicillin from moldy bread so there is hope for you.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page

oldrider
Advanced Member

USA
3932 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  3:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why in the world would anyone want to "bore a little hole into the brain" of a skunk to test it for rabies?

Skunks are known as polecats in parts of the U S, weasels are known as polecats in Europe.

Don't know about all of Europe, but in Britain a polecat is a weasel, and a ferret is a ferret.

There are some myths in this list of myths.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

8846 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  11:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigoutside

quote:
Originally posted by Classic095

Classic.
#4 makes me question the whole list.
I don't doubt that you found this skunk resource. But that one statement is total crap. Anyone who has been bitten by a rabid anything is going to do the full injection course.

No one waits to become symptomatic.

I can't fathom a conversation where a known rabies carrying animal has bitten someone, and treatment is refused because the victim 'washed it real good'. And that would be the only way the original skunk proponent could possibly make that statement.

Number 10 also has problems. The pathogen is not isolated to the syliva and it can be transmitted by routes other than a bite or direct contact with salivia. Most cases of animal to human transmission is an animal bite, but not ALL.

From the CDC:

Rabies HomepageHow is rabies transmitted?
The Path of the Rabies Virus
The Rabies Virus

Exposure to the Virus

The Path of the Virus

All species of mammals are susceptible to rabies virus infection, but only a few species are important as reservoirs for the disease. In the United States, distinct strains of rabies virus have been identified in raccoons, skunks, foxes, and coyotes. Several species of insectivorous bats are also reservoirs for strains of the rabies virus.

Transmission of rabies virus usually begins when infected saliva of a host is passed to an uninfected animal. The most common mode of rabies virus transmission is through the bite and virus-containing saliva of an infected host. Though transmission has been rarely documented via other routes such as contamination of mucous membranes (i.e., eyes, nose, mouth), aerosol transmission, and corneal and organ transplantations.
Go to Top of Page

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
4389 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  12:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not say all Skunks have Rabies, I said they were one of the largest carriers, Arkansas so far this year has had 91 confirmed cases of Rabies, Higer now than we normal have all year long,,Out of 91 cases**** 73 of them have been Skunks,14 bats,2 cows and 2 dogs,,0 cats
http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/programsServices/infectiousDisease/zoonoticDisease/Documents/rabies/Map/RabiesMap2012.pdf
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26702 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  10:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact remains that Rabies in skunks is relatively rare, compaird to most wild animals... And the "Rabies" reason to fear them is false...and a skunk will bite you as a last resort in their own defense....
Go to Top of Page

oldemagics
Advanced Member

4374 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  10:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as kids, buddy of mine had a pet skunk (aginst all state regs)
got it before the eyes were open and it bonded withthe first species it saw... people
never de-scented, never sprayed
heater repair guy was there once while we were working on the dirt bikes and the old skunk was digging in his tool box
asked if he was "fixed" told him no, but just push him away if he is a pest
"nope, he can do anything he wants!"

http://oldemagics.com
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page