GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 UPDATE!!!!! 300 AAC Cycling Problems....Fixed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lksmith03

1497 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this probably belongs in the reloading section but that forum looks pretty dead.
I have a 300AAC Blackout build. it's a 16" CMMG Wasp upper, on an aero precision lower, Wolff Heavy Hammer spring, DPMS A2 butt stock kit, carbine length gas system and HTG M30A suppressor.

The load I am using cycles the action pretty reliably, groups well and has fairly consistent velocity. but I do have problems with it picking up the next round. I am using 9.5gr of SR4759 behind a Speer 200gr hot cor soft point.
I haven't tried it on my wife's lower that has a std hammer spring to see if it works.
Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Proud Conservatarian

Edited by - lksmith03 on 08/05/2012 09:08:10 AM

HandLoad
Advanced Member

12810 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be watching with interest, as I want to build a suppressed 300 also.

Laudate Nomen!
Go to Top of Page

JnRockwall
Advanced Member

USA
13298 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just shooting from the hip I would say check the bolt for obstruction or something not allowing it to not come all the way back.

Check your magazine. Make sure the rounds are not binding.

otherwise, if you are using reloads, check your powder.

“When the South raised its sword against the Union’s Flag, it was in defense of the Union’s Constitution.”
Confederate General John B. Gordon

I got married to an ugly woman. Don't ever do that. It just takes the energy right out of you Red Webster
Go to Top of Page

tneff1969
Advanced Member

USA
4802 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What buffer are you using ? Similar build, different can. May try playing with a different buffer & spring, and magazine. Had feeding problems mixed in the first 100 rounds or so, nothing after changing buffer. Your load, may come into play some as well.
Go to Top of Page

Topkick
Advanced Member

USA
3671 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are your loads near the bottom of the pressure curve?

Maybe check that you are running the loads hot enough.

Work up slowly.
Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
10560 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lksmith03

I know this probably belongs in the reloading section but that forum looks pretty dead.
I have a 300AAC Blackout build. it's a 16" CMMG Wasp upper, on an aero precision lower, Wolff Heavy Hammer spring, DPMS A2 butt stock kit, and HTG M30A suppressor.

The load I am using cycles the action pretty reliably, groups well and has fairly consistent velocity. but I do have problems with it picking up the next round. I am using 9.5gr of SR4759 behind a Speer 200gr hot cor soft point.
I haven't tried it on my wife's lower that has a std hammer spring to see if it works.
Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Hey, this is a family-friendly forum!

"... For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!" But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot..."
Go to Top of Page

lksmith03

1497 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JnRockwall

just shooting from the hip I would say check the bolt for obstruction or something not allowing it to not come all the way back.

Check your magazine. Make sure the rounds are not binding.

otherwise, if you are using reloads, check your powder.

Never had a problem with the mags using other loads (223 or 300AAC)
I had just given the gun a thorough cleaning so I know there are no obstructions. Thanks for the ideas though
The powders recommended by the 300AAC site for Subs is AA1680 and Hodgdon recommends H4198, 4227, and 296, 5744 is also shown in other places. They also show H110 (which I use for supers but not too good for subs.) Problem is that I have been unable to find 1680 locally and don't want to pay $40# for it online (hazmat shipping, etc) The Burn rate for the SR4759
is in the range of these powders:
64 IMR, Co IMR 4227
65 Hodgdon H4227
66 IMR, Co SR 4759
67 Accurate Arms 5744
68 Accurate Arms 1680
69 NORMA 200
70 Alliant Reloder 7
71 IMR, Co IMR 4198
72 Hodgdon H4198

Proud Conservatarian

Edited by - lksmith03 on 08/04/2012 7:31:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

lksmith03

1497 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Topkick

Are your loads near the bottom of the pressure curve?

Maybe check that you are running the loads hot enough.

Work up slowly.

Loads running 995.2-1018FPS (XS 22.8fps) which is where I need to be to get the full use of the can. Can't get any hotter without negating the usefulness of the suppressor.
the SR4759 fills the case pretty good

Proud Conservatarian

Edited by - lksmith03 on 08/04/2012 7:58:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
10560 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  7:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/

"... For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!" But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot..."
Go to Top of Page

lksmith03

1497 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  11:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried my wife's lower with both mags, and they functioned flawlessly. Aside from stock and brand the only differences between her lower and mine are that she has a standard hammer spring vs. the heavy hammer spring and her's has a bolt catch where mine doesn't.
Evidently the difference in the force required to cock the hammer with the heavier spring is just enough to slow the bolt just enough to keep it from stripping the next rd. I guess I'll just use her lower for subs and mine for everything else

Proud Conservatarian
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14933 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  11:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you are trying to get a truley silent load,..you will almost always get a round that is incapable of cycling your bolt. The gas system was made for supersonic loads,..NOT subsonic loads.

applying physics over great expanses,...gotta love the long shots

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

lksmith03

1497 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  09:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JustC

if you are trying to get a truley silent load,..you will almost always get a round that is incapable of cycling your bolt. The gas system was made for supersonic loads,..NOT subsonic loads.

I had my wife shoot it last night while I was about 10ft away and it sounds like my pellet gun, a hiss/sneeze. it's not as quiet as my suppressed 22 shooting subs, but then again what is? I'd like it quieter, but it doesn't look like that is possible while still cycling

Proud Conservatarian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page