GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Spectre Italian assault pistol
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

akgunaccessories
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  2:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone out there know where I can get any information about Spectre Italian made assault pistols-magazine articles,web sites,forums,etc, I'm also looking for a magazine or any other items such as factory box, manual,spare parts, etc, for a Spectre assault pistol. I'm looking for 40 cal. Smith & Wesson mags but would also be interested in 9mm mags. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Sincerely, Bob

I'm new to the forum but I know to post want adds in the want add forum. I'm going to do that next. Thanks.

drobs
Advanced Member

USA
20245 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  3:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Just got an old Assault Rifle book from a member on this board. I can't recall the volume & exact title of it but it had the Spectre pistol in it. I will check tonight & let you know. I'm not ready to give this book up quite yet but maybe you could check it out at your local library.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ

Go to Top of Page

akgunaccessories
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  4:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob
Go to Top of Page

drobs
Advanced Member

USA
20245 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  4:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Gun Digest Book of Assault Weapons

Will advise volume # tomorrow.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19067 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  8:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Assault Weapons Volume II covers the Spectre pistol and carbine on pages 50 through 55. The Guns and Ammo action series: Assault Firearms (vol. 5 no. 1) covers the Spectre briefly in its section on assault pistols beginning on page 24. You may find these prices from the Mitchell Arms 1987 dealer catalog of interest: Spectre Automatic Pistol- retail at $670, dealer ar $514, jobber at $411. The Spectre folding stock carbine was only $10 more than the pistol! Spectre 50 round magazines: $39.95 retial, $30 dealer, and $19.50 jobber. 30 round magazines were $29.95, $22.95 and $16.46 respectivley. A magazine loader for the Spectre cost $39.95, $29.96, or $22.47 depending on who you were and how much you wished to purchase. I'd still like to pick up another ten of the Mitchell Yugoslavian AK-47's from the same catalog at the old price of $430.68 each. How times have changed in 15 years!

Mark T. Christian

Edited by - mark christian on 04/09/2003 8:14:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2381 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  9:04:55 PM  Show Profile
The Sites Spectre HC is a neat looking pistol, but mine (a 9x19) is not totally reliable. It could be that I have never used hot enough ammunition, which is specifically mentioned as necessary for "best functioning." The 50-round quadruple-stack magazines are especially interesting, as is the double action capability. American Arms imported them in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I recall no literature except the American Arms catalogs, where there is only a small picture of the Spectre. They were made in 9x19, .40S&W and .45ACP, but I doubt that many, if any, of the latter two were imported. American Arms is out of business so I know of no source for parts or manuals.

Go to Top of Page

drobs
Advanced Member

USA
20245 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  10:06:13 AM  Show Profile
akgun,

Mark beat me to it. He's right on.

By the way welcome to the board!

Regards,

FREE IRAQ

Edited by - drobs on 04/10/2003 10:07:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

lrarmsx

1733 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  10:25:26 AM  Show Profile
To add to what has been said thus far... The Spectre was initially imported by FIE, then by American Arms. They were halted from import in 1993 along with the UZI pistol and the HK SP89. The 9mm is most common, but the other two calibers did exist. Mags for the 40 and 45 are nearly impossible to find. They were hard to find a decade ago when the guns were still available. The mags today will run over $100 if you can find them. The guns will vary by caliber and condition. The stocks, long barrels, and foregrips were available a few years ago from another source, but they have since run out of them.

The guns themselves are quite hefty in weight. You can tell that they are not your standard TEC 9 as soon as you pick one up. They normally came in a styrofoam two peice box with a cardboard sleeve. In the box you would find the gun, a 30rd mag, mag loader, and the manual. According to the rules on the experts board, I'm not allowed to indicate as to whether there are any available for sale. Any further questions? LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM

Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2381 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  10:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks lrarmsx, your memory is better than mine. It is especially embarassing because my gun was imported by FIE! I should have looked at the gun!

I was trying to think where I had some literature, and ran onto the AA stuff with the Spectre in it. I was thinking I had seen better pictures and the AA stuff had only one little picture.

Now that I have been reminded of the FIE connection, the FIE literature is much more complete. I was thinking there was also a carbine, and the FIE catalogs show them. The carbines have the folding stock and the foregrip. The carbines weigh 8.4 pounds (!), while the pistol weighs 6.2 pounds. Like you said, these are not a TEC 9!

As an aside, the SPAS-15 is shown on the FIE catalog page opposite the Spectre. There is another rare one!
Go to Top of Page

akgunaccessories
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  09:09:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the information! This has allowed me to do an internet search. This is what I found, for those who are interested: The carbine version was only produced in prototype quantities because they could not produce the unique rifling in a 16 inch barrel. I guess the carbine reviewed in gun magazines years ago had conventional rifling. There were only 1000 9mm,300 40S&W, and 100 45 cal. semiautomatic model "HC" pistols manufactured. Sites manufactured them in Italy along with the folding stock, select fire submachinegun pistols.These are the model "M4" (which looks like the model HC) & a nearly identical model model "PPC" which was fitted with a 9" barrel & silencer. One review stated thier gun would only function reliably with hotter, heavier ammo.
Thanks again guys, akgunaccessories.
Go to Top of Page

akgunaccessories
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  1:30:07 PM  Show Profile
JudgeColt,
What kind of malfunctions have you experienced with your Spectre?
The Spectre's breech is well ramped & looks like it should feed well. The odd quad stack mag seems to feed ok too.I just got a 40 S&W version and the first time I went out to shoot it, had a case jam on the 12th round. It lodged in the left side of the receiver, next to the 13th round. This was with Magtech 180gr 40 S&W. On the 16th round (I discovered later after examining) a spring broke in the trigger mechanism. Now i'm looking for another mag & a spring too.

Thanks,
Bob

To others who may see this:
I would like to thank everyone for thier responses. They were the key to an interesting internet search which led me to a source of folding stocks,front grips & tactical slings.This led to a possible source of internal parts & 16" barrels?!! It also led to gentleman fron Virginia, also looking for Spectre mags, who needed mags for his 9mm Calico, which I can provide.
I think this forum is a wounderful asset to the community.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page