GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Seacamp conversion of 1911 colt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bb62
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  3:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to know if anyone is able to convert a 1911 to double action like the current Para Ordnance LDA.
A number of years ago there was a conversion by Seacamp I believe, and I was wondering if the parts from the Para Ordanance LDA could be used in my 1911a1 colt?

JudgeColt

2385 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  7:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Para-Ordnance LDA action is not at all like the Seecamp action, and is not really a double action in the same sense as a Seecamp conversion or any of the traditional double action pistols like the Colt Double Eagle. I guess anything is possible, but, unless you can do the conversion yourself, the cost, if anyone could be found to do it, would likely exceed the cost of a new P-O LDA by a large amount.

If you want a M1911-pattern pistol to operate similarly to a P-O LDA, there is a kit available from Cylinder & Slide that uses a cam action system like the LDA. Once installed, you can cock the hammer, push it forward so it is resting in the down position (the central part that engages the sear remains cocked), and then by disengaging the thumb safety, the hammer is raised to the cocked position, ready to fire. The LDA uses the same system, except that the trigger also raises the hammer as well as disengaging the sear to allow the gun to fire.

I had a conversion done by Seecamp on a Colt Combat Commander (Seecamp initially would not do the alloy frames) in the early 1970s, and still have it. I took it to gunshows for about 15 years to use as a sample to solicit orders for conversions, and I shudder to think how many times it has been dry-fired. I think there would still be a market for the conversions, but no one is doing it. There is a Seecamp converted pistol for sale on the auction site right now. The minimum bid is more than a new P-O LDA, but that would be the cheapest way to get a double action M1911-pattern pistol if you do not want an ugly duckling Colt Double Eagle.
Go to Top of Page

Der Gebirgsjager

2123 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  10:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In short....buy an LDA. The Seecamp was not as good as the LDA.

Go to Top of Page

bb62
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  2:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the information. It would appear that a new LDA is the better way to go.
Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2385 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  3:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DG, I disagree that the Seecamp "was not as good as the LDA." The two are so different that one cannot compare them directly. Some find the unusual LDA trigger action undersirable, and prefer a more traditional, heavy pull for the first shot, followed by the light single action pull thereafter as found on the Seecamp conversions and other traditional DA pistols. Some do not.

I have an LDA and a Seecamp, and like them both because I like variety. Buying new today, one is left with the LDA. I prefer the traditional double action, but love the high magazine capacity of the double-stack LDA.

As an aside, I am waiting for P-O to build the Carry C6.45 LDA with an alloy frame and stainless parts (plus ambidextrous safety), but am getting discouraged that my pleas are being ignored by those haughty Canadians! Since they generally cannot carry guns, what do they know about too much weight?

Go to Top of Page

Der Gebirgsjager

2123 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  7:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Sir, your disagreement does not come as a surprise, as such is often the case. I do not own the Seecamp, but have handled and fired them 'way back when. You are right that the Seecamp and LDA are apples and oranges when it comes to the trigger pull, and perhaps "better" was too subjective a word to use; "more to MY liking" might have been more descriptive of my opinion. What does surprise me is that you prefer the heavy first shot D.A. trigger pull followed by the immediate transition to the lighter S.A. trigger pull. This has always been claimed to throw the second shot off the mark by most "experts". Hence, my love of the 1911 and its "cocked and locked" carry. My affection for the LDA lies in all shots being the same, and the fact that the trigger pull is no heavier than a well-tuned D.A. revolver on which, again, the weight of pull of all shots is the same. I certainly will grant that the Seecamp was a unique design, executed with outstanding workmanship, and ahead of its time. Until the advent of the LDA I sided with Jeff Cooper who used to say that the double action semi-auto was a solution to a non-existent problem, but I believe that the vastly increased safety of the LDA action has now made that axiom obsolete. I currently own (and intend to keep!) a P14 LDA. MY wish-for LDA is a commander-size single stack in stainless. But, I'm still waiting for delivery of a SW1911 which is back-ordered. And growing impatient. I am glad, Sir, that we do have a love of 1911-types in common. As for Canadians.....ahhh, well.......

Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2385 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  7:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DG, spoken like a true Cooper disciple! I used to be one myself. Still am to a degree. I wonder what he thinks about the LDA. Probably another solution to a non-existent problem. While I recognize the transition from the heavy, long pull to the short, light pull is a problem to be overcome, I accept it as a tradeoff. That is why there are different designs available. Each has it proponents and detractors, and one may choose the design that best suits one's needs and likes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page