GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester Ranger model 140 in 20ga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sfcmtrn
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  12:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

I live in shotgun only territory of upstate NY. I have a 12 yr old who is not very big and I have been trying to figure out what he is going to be able to shoot. I am a recently returning vet and only partially employed, so I am trying not to buy a gun he will quickly grow out of... In my collection is this Winchester Ranger 140 in 20 ga. It's a hand me down that hasn't seen the field in MANY years. At first I thought the 20 ga auto loader would be perfect, just enough weight and the recoil mechanism would take up a lot of the kick and hopefully he wouldn't be scare of the gun as many beginners are. But then watching him lean back to hold the end of the long bird barrel up and only having a bead to aim has all the tell tale signs of tracking a wounded deer for miles. I have looked high and low, including an add on GunBroker.com want adds, for a slug barrel with rifle sights but no luck. Am I wasting time looking for a unicorn? Does any other manufacturer make a barrel that fits? I appreciate any guidance and thank you for your time.

fordsix
Advanced Member

5808 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  12:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probally not for that old of a gun you could cut the barrel to 18/20"..but then the whole gun is to long in the pull for his size..possible have a look at the mossberg model 510 or model 505...made for little guys
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15750 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  12:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check Brownells, either their catalog or their on-line site. They have a number of after market sights specifically for use on shotguns. Both front and rear sights.

As the previous poster noted it would be best to cut down both the barrel and the stock for a young shooter. Lack of choke won't have any effect, if your going to use slugs. Both could be done at home, if your careful. Walmart sells a excellent slip-on soft rubber recoil pad that will cover the cut off stock, and dampen recoil substantially.

Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
2872 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  12:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your service overseas!

I have the same gun, got it years ago for the ex-wife to shoot trap. (She's gone, the gun stayed, I think I won in that exchange!)mine still has the 28" modified choke/vent rib that I think was standard.

In any case, take the barrel down to 20", take a bit of the stock off, then add a recoil pad as suggested. When he grows a bit, you can even add wooden spacers to legthen the pull.

Sights are easy to add by drilling and tapping. (I put a fiber-optic one on a 18" defense gun that I got at Bass Pro Shop recently, it works pretty darn well with buckshot or slugs) Rifle sights shouldn't be too tough to add, or you could even do a receiver-mounted peep or ghost ring and a tall fiber-optic front bead.

Rifle sight for vent rib:

:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671251/williams-fire-sight-set-universal-vent-rib-slugger-shotgun-fiber-optic-green

The best part is you're not butchering a future classic, but making a plain-Jane utility shotgun perfect for your son to use. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
Go to Top of Page

sfcmtrn
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  12:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions, but I guess I was hoping for a magic bullet... I really don't want to cut the gun even if its a cheap utility shotgun. It's a hang up off mine to never modify guns, as a result of my father having family heirloom double barrel shotgun barrels re-blued by "the guy down the street" who, needless to say, made a mess. Then being to cheap to have them done professionally or have receiver taken apart and done, they sit in the back of the cabinet looking like Frankenstein's shotguns, waiting for me to have the cash to fix them properly. He just bought a new Henry Goldenboy in 17HMR.... and had a scope mounted on it. I didn't even have words when he handed it to me all proud of himself grinning from ear to ear. I just shook my head and handed it back and he said "what, you don't like it???" Sorry, don't mean to rant, just can't cut the gun. I'd rather blow off a truck payment and buy the kid one. But I do appreciate all your input!!!!! Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.
Go to Top of Page

sfcmtrn
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  12:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went out and bought the boy a Mossberg 500C 20 ga combo. Came with 24" rifled barrel with a 2.5 x 20 cantilever scope. A 28 vented ribbed barrel with full, modified, and improved cylinder accu chokes and tools for $250. I added 4 boxes of 2 3/4" Remingtom 260 gn sabots for a total of $334.74 with tax. Father-in-law bought 2 boxes of 8 shot and a case of clay birds. I dug my old clay bird thrower out of the barn, a couple boxes of other 20 ga shells sitting around and we went up the hill and he shot all afternoon. I let him shoot both the Mossberg and the Winchester 140 and he said he likes the feel of the Mossberg better... He paid attention and practiced excellent gun safety. Had some issues with the body mechanics of shooting a moving target seeing how the clay bird thrower and the ground broke most of the clay birds, but he shot the center out of the target at 50 yds with the sabots... Not too bad for an 11, soon to be 12 yr old. He just went to bed with a bruise on his shoulder and a grin on his face from ear to ear saying "when my shoulder feels better, lets call grandpa and do it again!" I hope he remembers today forever, no telling how long his 72 yr old Vietnam vet grandfather will be up to going up the hill to shoot. My phone will ring all week, but Ally bank will have to wait for their money. It might not have been the best financial decision, but I wouldn't trade today for a million bucks!
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
3181 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  03:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You the man!
Go to Top of Page

fordsix
Advanced Member

5808 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  08:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup!
Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
2872 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  5:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good deal. Let us know if he is able to fill a tag this season!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page