GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 martini action .22 rifle by vickers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

7956 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  4:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a .22 martini action target rifle by vickers, barrel and receiver are one piece of steel. very well made and very accurate. anbody have any idea of the history, or when these were made. thanks

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  5:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Whiskey...Check out the MARTINI WEB SITE at <http://64.177.205.5/martini/gallery.htm>..There were different Martini Actions and its going to be confusing to some that only know of the Drop Breech Action...This WEB SITE will allow you to talk to the Martini Advocates.........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page

Jody Commander

917 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  5:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike!
I remember those, two different models as I recall, a "Jubilee" and a "Empire" model,Jubilee was the heavy target model with pistol grip and target forend.I think they quit making them sometime before WWII, but I could be wrong, ain't seen one for a coons age, the ones I have seen shot real well, had Parker Hale peep sights, I know this isn't much help, but it had been so long since seeing one, I was surprised to know any were still around.

Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15835 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  5:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found a little in my references regarding your rifle.
It was made after the first World War, (1920's) after Vickers tried to get into commercial sporting firearms business. They were attempting to maintain stable employment at their factories in the U K.
Their most famous attempt at commercial production during the same time frame was the assembly of Luger Pistols for the Dutch East Indies Army. My understanding is that these Lugers are marked with the Vickers name and are much sought after by collectors.
Go to Top of Page

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

7956 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  09:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info, this is the empire model. my next stop is the web site. thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Advanced Member

USA
2891 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  9:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have a pre-WWII VICKERS EMPIRE GRADE MARTINI STYLE FALLING BLOCK target rifle on the shelf at the shop. production ran from the early 1920`s until 1937 when VICKERS stopped producing commercial arms and went 100% military production. these guns (EMPIRE GRADE, and JUBILEE GRADE)were made at the CRAYFORD and ERITH factories along with other commercial sporting arms, includind a joint effoert high powered sporting rifle liscensed by DEUTSCHE WAFFEN-U. MUNITIONS FABRIKEN (one of the principal makers of the MAUSER rifle).

our rifle has a 27" heavy bull BBL w/ a squared off muzzle. the easiest way to tell the difference between models is the action lever. EMPIRE GRADE levers hug the stock, JUBILEE GRADE levers turn down away from the body of the gun. sights varied, but the PARKER HALE #2 sights are commonly found. often these guns have the latter addition of UNERTL style target scope blocks. the JUBILEE had a 28" BBL only. most rare is the EMPIRE GRADE with the 30" BBL.

the HOLY TRINITY of smallbore target rifles are the BSA MARTINI, the VICKERS EMPIRE/JUBILEE MARTINI, and the WINCHESTER MODEL 52. all are collectable, all are high quality. JUBILEE grade commands about a 10% premium over the EMPIRE. standard models in NRA EXCELLANT price around $450.00. models with longer BBL`s, or factory scopes bring as much as 50% more. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page