GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 Alliant AMERICAN SELECT?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8943 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  4:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a reasonably priced source for this powder. It is advertised primarily for shotgun use. But, as with many shotgun powders, it is also useable for handgun cartridges. Does anyone here have any experience using it for that purpose?
I reload most of the most common handgun rounds and might be interested in trying it.

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
3324 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  4:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked lately? Available, reasonable not for long I'd bet.
Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8943 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  6:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just checked. Still available. I'm just always cautious about starting up with an unfamiliar powder. I've used 2400, Red Dot, Unique, and Promo. I've never used American Select before. I may just go ahead and get it and put it on the shelf for emergencies. I still have plenty of the others but can't find replacement supplies for them. If I don't like it in my handguns, I can always sell it to a shotgun reloader.
Go to Top of Page

Rocky Raab
Advanced Member

USA
4437 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  6:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my detailed but as yet unpublished article on loading the 44 Special, I discovered one powder at one charge weight that worked extremely well with ANY bullet from 180 to 240 grains - swaged, cast, plated, or jacketed. Accurate, clean, and good velocity across the board, it is now my one and only load for the 44 Special.

That load is 6.0 of American Select.
Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8943 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  01:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocky Raab

In my detailed but as yet unpublished article on loading the 44 Special, I discovered one powder at one charge weight that worked extremely well with ANY bullet from 180 to 240 grains - swaged, cast, plated, or jacketed. Accurate, clean, and good velocity across the board, it is now my one and only load for the 44 Special.

That load is 6.0 of American Select.

And I thank you sir for that response. Exactly the information I was hoping to find. Guess I'll give it a try.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page