GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Ever crash a trade show?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captplaid
Advanced Member

USA
17668 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  01:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) is having a trade show in Chicago next month. It's ridiculously expensive to buy a ticket. Just curious how hard is it to crash a trade show?

Figuring you can print their logo put a name on it and slide it into a plastic sleeve.

No not planning any mischief yet. Just curious and would like to speak to some wind companies, vendors and get a feel for the industry.

I'm guessing it's a trade show. How strict can they possible be on people walking around the vendor booths.

I'd be curious how the industry is perceiving a transmission company. Is the industry seeing them as a joke who doesn't have a prayer or well respected.

Obama believes he can tax your breathing.

Liberty isn't free. It is paid in blood. -Thomas Jefferson

Does anyone remember what the Boston Tea Party was about?

Edited by - Captplaid on 04/10/2013 01:21:42 AM

JnRockwall
Advanced Member

USA
13590 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  01:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
grab a pizza and hit the door looking for booth 8

“When the South raised its sword against the Union’s Flag, it was in defense of the Union’s Constitution.”
Confederate General John B. Gordon

I got married to an ugly woman. Don't ever do that. It just takes the energy right out of you Red Webster
Go to Top of Page

rscoleman88
Advanced Member

USA
2861 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  01:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crash one?! I've never even driven one!
Go to Top of Page

calrugerfan
Advanced Member

USA
14446 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  01:17:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the INSURANCE trade shows that I've been to are not very "secure." Just act like you belong and you'll probably be fine.

I always fire two warning shots; one to the chest, one to the head.
Go to Top of Page

Captplaid
Advanced Member

USA
17668 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  01:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by calrugerfan

Most of the INSURANCE trade shows that I've been to are not very "secure." Just act like you belong and you'll probably be fine.

exactly what I was thinking.

It's a safe bet Clean Line Energy would be there. (powerline company) They are trying hard to look legitimate and are attempting to position themselves as the powerline to windmills.

Obama believes he can tax your breathing.

Liberty isn't free. It is paid in blood. -Thomas Jefferson

Does anyone remember what the Boston Tea Party was about?

Edited by - Captplaid on 04/10/2013 01:27:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

cnsay

1284 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  04:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have gone to some that you have to have a proper registration to get a badge printed and at the end of the badge printing line there are security staff checking to see you have a badge. If they are charging for entry it is likely they will have some sort of security to ensure you pay or don't enter.

Too many projects to spend time on the computer.

The free market guarantees each man an equal chance, not an equal outcome.

Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

42608 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  08:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh come on.. it is easy. Just find someone going in, offer them some money or a free lunch and you are their guest.
Go to Top of Page

JohnnyBGood

941 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  08:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captplaid

The American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) is having a trade show in Chicago next month.

I would think just wear an Obama t-shirt and you're in

Johnny
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13156 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  08:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been to a few of these and it depends entirely on the show.

Some of these things you can just walk in, some you can't.

I have to believe that security at the "American wind energy association" show isn't exactly going to be "tight", but you never know. If the tickets really are ridiculously expensive, you can bet your shoes that there will be someone at the door checking to make sure people actually have them.

It wasn't a trade show, per se, but one time I crashed an exclusive event at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. It was an invitation only opening of their new guitar exhibit, and the rock band Boston was there, BB King, etc.

What I did was just put on an expensive suit, with a guitar-themed tie I happened to own, and walked right in like I owned the place. Security just glanced at me for a second and let me right through.

My dad told me that when he was in high school one of his friends used to do this routinely to get into sporting events without a ticket. He'd dress smart, walk right up to the gatekeepers, say "good evening gentlemen" and walk right through as if he were a team manager or other VIP. Assuming he was, they'd always let him right through without question.

That was a different era (ie pre electronic tickets, pre 9-11, etc), but I think the approach is still valid. Most of the (low paid, untrained) "gatekeepers" in this sort of situation would rather just let someone through than create some sort of incident or possible verbal confrontation.

One other approach not mentioned above is just show up a bit late (like at lunchtime), wait for someone LEAVING the conference and then ask them if you can have their ticket stub/ID. I think most people would happily give it to you, but a little bribe (can I have it for $20?) won't hurt.

Edited by - beantownshootah on 04/10/2013 08:46:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

skicat
Advanced Member

9753 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  09:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or you could just pony up the money for a ticket and spend your time talking to the industry professionals of your choice.....

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." Ron Paul

“The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don’t know anything about.”
- Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
12208 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  09:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The American Wind Energy Association (AWEA)

All ya need is one of those 'beanie hats' with a propeller on top and yer good to go !!!!!

Edited by - forgemonkey on 04/10/2013 09:51:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

dennisnielsen
Advanced Member

USA
36140 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  10:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chicago is so full of s hot wind
the props would blow off the generators
before they could steal them
Go to Top of Page

LaidbackDan
Advanced Member

14158 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  11:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be a great place to take some whoopee cushions

I just read "100 things to do before you die" and was quite surprised that yelling for help wasn't one of them.

Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
2872 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  11:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to get into shows like that all the time. Dress smart, then look like you belonged there (super confident) or you can try by looking like you are trying to find someone inside (select a vendor who is in but across the floor). All they can say is "No."
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8844 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  11:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another move is to have a bouquet of flowers.
Delivery man!
Just have a card made out attached the bouquet with a ladies name and a Company name on the outside of the envelope.....

I just looked at their websight. It looks like you can buy a ticket for $100.00 or so........How important is it to you to get in?

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"

Edited by - gearheaddad on 04/10/2013 11:49:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

dakotashooter2
Advanced Member

4521 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  12:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roll up a few large pieces of paper to look like plans and grab a briefcase...........As you walk up, cell phone to your ear, loudly state in a slightly paniced voice, "I'm at the door now" and walk through.

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
21863 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  2:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cnsay

I have gone to some that you have to have a proper registration to get a badge printed and at the end of the badge printing line there are security staff checking to see you have a badge. If they are charging for entry it is likely they will have some sort of security to ensure you pay or don't enter.

DITTO ....... entry was very tight at those I've attended.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

rambo rebel

1416 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  3:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd try to find a vendor I was interested in talking to or a local vendor and call them and ask for a ticket. they all get extras usually. offer to come at lunch time and take them a pizza of their choice. get their cell # in case you get held up at the door.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken;>)
Go to Top of Page

CaptFun
Administrator

USA
8923 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  5:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back 15 yrs ago, I was attending an AWWA conference in New Orleans, and was bringing my family with me so we could go to the aquarium and the zoo. I scanned my badge and photoshopped up extra some badges for my family and printed them on the color laser on card stock. That show also included 4 or 5 drink tickets with each badge. I must have printed 500 of those and shared them with all my friends from other companies.

GunBroker.com Admin

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

asop

2196 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  7:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would you want to do a thing like that and on top of it drive to CHICAGO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page