GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 winchester 75 sporter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dokey

USA
795 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  09:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the winchester 75 sporter ever come from the factory with the receiver and barrel drilled and tapped for scope blocks? My friend has one in the 105xx ser number range

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

3403 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  09:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend has one with Unertl Small Game, but I don't know if was factory d&t.
Go to Top of Page

Herschel

2005 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  10:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1958 Gun Digests lists the model 75 sporter. It shows it to come with a receiver sight. No mention is made of scope blocks. Neither did the model 75 target model mention being drilled and tapped for scope blocks.
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
32249 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  1:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Madis' Winchester Handbook reference, "Any sight made by Winchester or other manufacturers could be ordered for this model." Madis also notes that "All rifles usually are drilled and tapped for receiver sights..." This information does not answer the question that you have regarding your friend's rifle, though, but it might help. For example, if the work on your friend's rifle looks to be done in a very professional manner, and the holes are blued, it might well have been factory done. Another thing that you can do is measure the distance between the scope blocks/holes from center to center, to see if it is 7 & 3/16ths of an inch.

Hopefully, someone else will be able to help you with this issue. Good luck.

Added Note: Remember, all sights could be had for the Model 75 (Sporter or Target), and that includes telescopic sights. Winchester had their own 8X scope that could be ordered with the target gun. At some point in the 1950s, all target guns had their barrels factory drilled and tapped. My target gun has this feature as well as the grooved receiver and the receiver sight.

What's next

Edited by - kimi on 04/15/2013 3:04:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

MG1890

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  2:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dokey, my opinion is NO. When Winchester started getting on board with scopes they started offering the grooved receivers in some models. The factory scoped 697's & such usually don't have sight dovetails. Is the receiver AND barrel drilled? Are there sights?
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

3403 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  3:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1939 Stoegers lists scope sight bases, presumably target blocks, for $1.75 on all Winchesters.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10823 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  3:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Model 75 Target Rifles were factory drilled & tapped (on the barrel) for scope blocks in the Pre-WW II years. I do not know is the Sporter rifles were drilled & tapped.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

Dokey

USA
795 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  4:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do know the win 75 target model barrels were D&T for Unertl blocks, and the later 75 sporters had grooved receivers for tip off mounts. My own 75 sporter's receiver is not D&T, nor does it have a grooved receiver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page