GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 I'm going to make me a wet tumbler
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bambambam
Advanced Member

USA
3932 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2013 :  3:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an ultrasonic cleaner that cleans brass really well, but it doesn't leave a good shine.

After looking at some YouTube videos, I think the dryer motor or the HVAC motor I have would be a good candidate for a wet tumbler. The HVAC motor is 1625 RPM 1/4HP 230 volt. That should run it at a real low amperage.

Most designs I have saw use pillow blocks & a couple TGP rods. I think I'll use a 5 gallon bucket or a really large diameter piece of PVC. Either way I'm going to put a few small "paddles" inside to stir up the media & brass so them tumble inside as they spin.

Anyone else have ideas on making one or have already done so?

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

midnightrunpaintballer

USA
2009 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  12:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regular old vibrating tumbler with corn cob always shined em up enough for me. Just how shiny do you need them?
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
3191 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  12:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The odd job concrete mixer is 7 gal, liquid tight, and has built in mixing paddles. Use a wood frame and 4 inch plastic pipe for the rollers. Try for 33 rpm of the drum.

http://www.amazon.com/Scepter-04239-7-Gallon-Odjob-Mixer/dp/B000BPK766/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371962402&sr=8-1&keywords=odd+job+concrete+mixer

Edited by - charliemeyer007 on 06/23/2013 12:45:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

casper1947

USA
462 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  12:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not exceed 60 rpm.
You might check:
http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=598454

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms (we think they need), shall not be infringed.

Go to Top of Page

FrancF

USA
32773 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  6:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There cheap enough- also look for rock tumblers.
http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html

Parts and supply's-
http://rocktumbler.com/tumbler-parts.shtml

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Edited by - FrancF on 06/23/2013 6:29:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

bambambam
Advanced Member

USA
3932 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  11:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrancF

There cheap enough- also look for rock tumblers.
http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html

Parts and supply's-
http://rocktumbler.com/tumbler-parts.shtml

Thanks, I can use some of these parts. It will cut down on my amount of fab & on parts that move.

We had some low RPM motors on machines at work & I need one of those "round" belts. Pretty good prices on the site.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
2872 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  12:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could see making one so large that the weight of the cases/water/whatever tumbling about against paddles cause handgun cases to bash about and maybe ding the case mouths a bit.
Go to Top of Page

victorj19

1998 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  12:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a dry tumbler last year using an old treadmill that uses a 5 gal bucket. should work wet too. If you're careful you can plug it into a 115V socket. If not don't worry. They have a 12V dc motor you can hook up to a auto battery charger.

Retired, not retarded.
Go to Top of Page

bambambam
Advanced Member

USA
3932 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  01:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found 2 more Dayton motors in my electric supplies cabinet in my shop. One is 10,000RPM & other is 5,000RPM (twin shaft).

Think I could spin the rims off the cases with that 10K RPM motor?

Go to Top of Page

FrancF

USA
32773 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  12:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bambambam

I just found 2 more Dayton motors in my electric supplies cabinet in my shop. One is 10,000RPM & other is 5,000RPM (twin shaft).

Think I could spin the rims off the cases with that 10K RPM motor?

IIRC most Dayton motors will accept a variable speed controller- The catch, the ones I used to work with had a built in Voltage/load cut off sensor to the motor.

In other words, your speed reduction can be achieved Via a secondary drive reduction so the motor does not see the a heavy load it's turning.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Edited by - FrancF on 06/27/2013 12:08:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Smitty500mag

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  12:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you'll keep an eye on E-bay you can run across a Thumler's Tumbler that's a wet tumbler used for polishing rocks for a lot less than they're sold for new and you won't have to mess with making a homemade one. I found my Thumler Tumbler for $35 bucks on E-bay quite a few years ago and those things will run for ever since they're made for tumbling rocks 24 hours a day for a week or two at a time. Of course these days with all the new people getting into reloading they've probably driven the prices up on these too like they have powder and bullets and everything else.

Go to Top of Page

bambambam
Advanced Member

USA
3932 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  11:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smitty500mag

If you'll keep an eye on E-bay you can run across a Thumler's Tumbler that's a wet tumbler used for polishing rocks for a lot less than they're sold for new and you won't have to mess with making a homemade one. I found my Thumler Tumbler for $35 bucks on E-bay quite a few years ago and those things will run for ever since they're made for tumbling rocks 24 hours a day for a week or two at a time. Of course these days with all the new people getting into reloading they've probably driven the prices up on these too like they have powder and bullets and everything else.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

mango tango
Advanced Member

USA
3164 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  01:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best thing I've ever used for cleaning brass was a Harbor Freight air paint shaker, put a hundred or so shells in with media, adjusted to a slow to medium shake speed, clean as a whistle in about an hour!

"I didn't do it, and nobody saw me do it!
Go to Top of Page

bambambam
Advanced Member

USA
3932 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  05:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mango tango

The best thing I've ever used for cleaning brass was a Harbor Freight air paint shaker, put a hundred or so shells in with media, adjusted to a slow to medium shake speed, clean as a whistle in about an hour!

Did you put them in a gallon paint can?

Go to Top of Page

mango tango
Advanced Member

USA
3164 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  3:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bambambam

quote:
Originally posted by mango tango

Did you put them in a gallon paint can?

YES I did, it works awesome and way faster than a tumbler!

"I didn't do it, and nobody saw me do it!
Go to Top of Page

jim_lemay

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a Lortone 12 lb tumbler which I bought almost 30 years ago to tumble rocks. I use SS Media with water/soap/surfactant mix. 300-500 45 acp's, 250 223's, or others. Comes out cleaan & shiney inside, outside and cleaned primer pocket as well. Especially tarnished may take 3 hrs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page