GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 1910 Rabbit herding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31376 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  10:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Horse Plains Drifter
Advanced Member

USA
24342 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  10:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WTH??

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad

U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
CA#8......3%

Gadsdens by Werwolf
Go to Top of Page

danielgage
Advanced Member

USA
4860 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  10:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
always heard or rabbit herding

just never saw it

thanks
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31376 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  10:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something to do with Lancaster my Old home town think they were overrun with them.

Here is what the caption for the photo said.

quote:
Rabbit drive Antelope Valley 1910.

Edited by - grumpygy on 07/06/2013 10:41:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

LaidbackDan
Advanced Member

14000 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  10:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At Travis AFB, in California they used to have a rabbit round up where a group of about fifty with shotguns would walk abreast and go after the huge jack rabbit population that would cause problems along the active runways, I kid you not rabbit was served in the dining hall that evening the Mess NCO swore it was coincidence

I just read "100 things to do before you die" and was quite surprised that yelling for help wasn't one of them.

Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31376 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  10:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a little more searching.

Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31376 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  10:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think they had a rabbit problem this one was held in 1900.

Go to Top of Page

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
28522 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  11:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yumpin Yimminy,,,

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39322 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  11:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Australia also has a long history of rabbit troubles.
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
6309 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  11:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LaidbackDan

At Travis AFB, in California they used to have a rabbit round up where a group of about fifty with shotguns would walk abreast and go after the huge jack rabbit population that would cause problems along the active runways, I kid you not rabbit was served in the dining hall that evening the Mess NCO swore it was coincidence

Dan, they do it with falconry now, interesting to watch. The Goshawks they use, do it with extreme prejudice!

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.com
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31376 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  11:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have little sympathy for a jackrabbit. Got clawed up bad by one. Was used to normal rabbits grab them being the head with all that loose skin and you have them. Not a jackrabbit they just take them long legs and tear your arm up from your armpit to your hand. Thought I was going to bleed to death.
Go to Top of Page

dpmule

USA
2452 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  11:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on a ipad, so can 't C&P.
Check out Mud Lake Idaho bunny bash in 1981, that was the last year one was held in Idaho.

Mule

when in doubt, shoot low, they might be riding shetlands
Go to Top of Page

JasonV

1656 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  11:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The old M&M Fur company in Bridgewater SD used to have a picture of a semi trailer load of jackrabbits.

They were an awful pest not too many years ago eating the crops.

Now I see about 1 a year.
Go to Top of Page

nemesisenforcer
Advanced Member

10065 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  01:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JasonV

The old M&M Fur company in Bridgewater SD used to have a picture of a semi trailer load of jackrabbits.

They were an awful pest not too many years ago eating the crops.

Now I see about 1 a year.

wait about 5 more years. They go through regular cycles of population explosion and contraction.

Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all full up here.

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
—H L Mencken

"Here's a toast to virgins and lesbians: THANKS FOR NOTHIN!!!!!"

"I don't know which disgusts me more: your cowardice or your stupidity."

"HISTORY, CULTURE, TRADITION. THESE ARE NOT CONCEPTS; THEY ARE SOUVENIRS I KEEP IN MY DEN AS PAPERWEIGHTS!!!"

". . . greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."
Gordon Gekko

START STOCKPILING AMMUNITION AND DONG BAGS.

Go to Top of Page

nemesisenforcer
Advanced Member

10065 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  01:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally "rabbit drives" started out as an excuse to beat the Irish.

Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all full up here.

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
—H L Mencken

"Here's a toast to virgins and lesbians: THANKS FOR NOTHIN!!!!!"

"I don't know which disgusts me more: your cowardice or your stupidity."

"HISTORY, CULTURE, TRADITION. THESE ARE NOT CONCEPTS; THEY ARE SOUVENIRS I KEEP IN MY DEN AS PAPERWEIGHTS!!!"

". . . greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."
Gordon Gekko

START STOCKPILING AMMUNITION AND DONG BAGS.

Go to Top of Page

bambambam
Advanced Member

USA
3928 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  02:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grumpygy

That's how I got the name bambambam.

STAMPEED!

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Go to Top of Page

footlong
Advanced Member

7126 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  05:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
l used to date a girl who was part rabbit..
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
32724 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  07:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some very interesting pictures. Thanks. There are some pretty big jackrabbits shown too.

What's next

Go to Top of Page

dennisnielsen
Advanced Member

USA
35480 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  07:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome pictures

EoTech

God fearing & gun owner and I'm keeping Them both.

You city slickers keep your gun control to yourselves.You are living with too many asses per acre without a safe backstop.Besides,the broadside of a barn is not the x-ring. ;]

Go to Top of Page

austin20
Advanced Member

USA
25003 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  11:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elmer Fudd would be in heaven.
Go to Top of Page

forkliftking
Advanced Member

USA
4377 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  11:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bet there was no way to grow a garden back then.

If you have to brag about what you do, you're probably not very good at it.
Go to Top of Page

catgunguy
Advanced Member

USA
3938 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  12:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did they eat them?
Go to Top of Page

hobo9650
Advanced Member

USA
2536 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  1:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rabbit was served at mess hall at Bergstrom AFB, Tex in 1955. One leg would fill a food tray.
Go to Top of Page

allen griggs
Advanced Member

USA
26658 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  4:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK dpmule, here is the story of the Mud Lake Bunny Bash. Fascinating.

Mud Lake vs. jackrabbits, 1981
Published: April 15, 2013

WHAT THEY SAID
"… It's easy to see that clubbing jackrabbits to death is primitive and crude. But so is swatting flies, whacking rats and gophers and stomping on beetles."

- Dec. 18, 1981, Post Register op-ed article

"A massive spectacle of wanton slaughter with clubs and ax handles does not constitute humane treatment. … (The latest drive) was demeaning both to the rabbits and the people involved."

- Idaho Humane Society President John Hoyt

"Remind me never to come to Mud Lake, Idaho."

- Post Register letter to the editor sent from Connecticut

WHERE DID ALL THE JACKRABBITS GO?

Nobody is sure why the Mud Lake area hasn't seen another jackrabbit population explosion since the early 1980s.

Black-tailed jackrabbits - the predominant species in eastern Idaho - typically follow 10-year population cycles, said Terry Bowyer, ecology professor at Idaho State University.

Other factors, such as mild winters and a dip in the number of coyotes and other predators, probably coalesced to lead to the boom.

The region is due for another peak, though Bowyer said we haven't seen evidence of one.

Scientists aren't sure why black-tailed jackrabbit numbers haven't rebounded dramatically, though one possibility is a loss of the sage steppe habitat where they like to take cover, he said.

Bowyer said the suppressed population is not a result of the rabbit drives in the '80s.

The Post Register reported that 250,000 rabbits were killed in the drives of '81 and '82. Drive organizer Orvin Twitchell said the real number was more than 1 million, which were sold for 9 cents apiece for animal feed to a mink farm in Iowa. Another 300,000 were left to rot in the fields, he said.

Twitchell had another theory as to why the "desert rats" haven't been back.

"The good Lord took care of 'em," he said.

Farmers had had enough of crop losses. Five bloody and bizarre months of killing followed, and no similar drive has been held since.

By ZACH KYLE — POST REGISTER

MUD LAKE - Viewed in sequence, the photos flicker like visions from a weird, feverish dream.

Jackrabbits scamper. Cudgels swing. Carcasses are stacked like bloody firewood.

The surreal scene was very real more than three decades ago.

It made headlines across the state and the nation, including in The New York Times and a widely circulated Dec. 17, 1981, Associated Press article:

"About 800 men, women and children, armed with ax handles, baseball bats, tire tools and golf clubs, stretched across a mile of the desolate prairie near Mud Lake and rounded up jackrabbits which they claim have done an estimated $5 million in crop damage.

"Many of the jackrabbits were beaten to death during the drive and others captured in a pen had their necks broken and their heads decapitated."

The first jackrabbit drive on record in Jefferson County was in 1891 in Market Lake, which is now Roberts, according to a 1981 Post Register article.

Drives were held in the region whenever jackrabbits threatened crops, often in correlation with their 10-year population cycle.

However, the weekly drives in the winter of 1981-1982 brought media attention that turned the drives into a national circus.

There were casualties beyond the quarter-million - some say more than 1 million - dead jackrabbits. There were two court trials, $10 million in crop damages and a black eye dealt to the region's reputation.

THE JACKRABBIT PROBLEM

Sometime in the fall of 1981, jackrabbits overran the sagebrush at a rate of about one per square acre, according to expert estimates. They spilled out of the desert and ate through haystacks and acres of grain and alfalfa. Damage estimates topped $10 million.

A jackrabbit can grow up to nine pounds and eat a pound or more of food a day.

Orvin Twitchell and other men formed the Mud Lake Farmer's Rabbit Committee and appointed Twitchell chairman.

They hatched and executed a plan to hold jackrabbit drives every weekend from November to March. Volunteers would walk through sagebrush, shoulder to shoulder, funneling thousands of jackrabbits toward pens where they'd be exterminated in accordance with the 4-H handbook: a swift blow to the back of the head.

Today Twitchell, 84, helps run the Mud Lake Museum.

"We had a problem, and we set out to fix it," he said. "We aren't talking about Peter Cottontail. These are desert rats. That's all they are."

HOW TO DO THE JOB

As far as jackrabbit killing methods go, clubbing was beautifully simple.

Before long, the Idaho Humane Society, Fund for Animals and other animal rights groups tried to stop the drives. Their spokesmen said they understood farmers had to kill the jackrabbits; they wanted it done in a more humane fashion, and they didn't want children participating in the drives.

The Idaho Humane Society suggested shooting the jackrabbits. Twitchell responded that shooting them with hundreds of people around was a bad idea.

A plethora of alternatives emerged, including killing them with strychnine, carbon monoxide gas, electricity, relocating them and using devices that kill them instantly by driving a metal bolt into their brains.

All were too complicated, too expensive and too slow to address the problem, Twitchell said.

That left clubbing.

A CURIOSITY

The drives weren't a blood sport for most of the farmers, and certainly not for lifelong farmer Gary Skidmore.

Skidmore had participated in a drive about 15 years earlier at age 8. He'd been excited for the drive as a child, but after whacking a few jackrabbits as an adult as the line huddled them toward the pens, he felt sick to his stomach and walked away from the slaughter.

"They have a high-pitch squeal," said Skidmore, now 52. "It's a little bit sad, a little bit sickening."

Volunteers came from towns and cities across the region to bash jackrabbits, including Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Arco, St. Anthony and Rexburg, Twitchell said.

Some were there for sport.

"They just loved to participate," Twitchell said. "Hell, we had the same guys in the kill pens week after week after week. They enjoyed it.

"What else are those city people going to do on a Saturday?"

Reporters came from farther.

More than 100 print, TV and radio journalists descended on the town of about 200 to cover a December drive, according to a Post Register article, including a helicopter from KUTV in Salt Lake City and a second mysterious, unmarked helicopter.

Bob Ziel covered the drives for KID-TV in Idaho Falls and sent video to CBS affiliates all over the country. The only story that received more national attention in Ziel's decades of reporting was the floods following the Teton Dam breaking in 1976.

The floodwater swept away houses.

The jackrabbit drives were a different kind of sensational.

"In the pens, it was solid rabbits, like wall-to-wall carpeting," Ziel said. "Fur was flying everywhere. They went ahead with the sticks and bang, bang, bang. And that was it."

Footage of crops destroyed by jackrabbits didn't make national news, Ziel said. But rabbit bashing? You bet.

"Really, who cares about a bunch of farmers losing hay in rural Idaho?" said Ziel, who lives in Rigby. "(The national fallout) was because seeing the rabbits being bashed is very, very visual."

THE FALLOUT

Lawyers from The Animal Fund took the farmers to court seeking to stop the drives on grounds of animal cruelty.

Judges backed the farmers first in district court, then in the Idaho Supreme Court.

Twitchell claims that after the decision was upheld, the head of the The Animal Fund, Cleveland Amory, accused him of being a bad winner.

"I told him, 'You son of a bitch, we shouldn't be here in the first place,' " Twitchell said. "The judge didn't like me saying that in court."

The jackrabbit population fell in 1983.

Mud Lake hasn't seen a jackrabbit drive since.

What had started as an agricultural problem sprawled into a spectacle. Two Nigerian ISU students and aspiring businessmen had offered to buy the jackrabbits for $6 apiece to ship to starving countrymen.

The men disappeared without paying for a truckload of jackrabbit meat en route to docks in Houston, Texas.

Nigerian Consulate General James Oche issued a statement denouncing the men.

"These people are punishing the image of Nigeria," Oche said. "We have no need for rabbit meat. People are not malnourished or starving in Nigeria."

More oddities followed.

Animal-rights activists admitted to infiltrating killing pens in disguises and chronicling animal cruelty. Accusations of "bunny baseball" - tossing live rabbits to be hit with bats - grabbed national headlines.

Throughout, the Mud Lake Tavern served Bloody Bunnies - Bloody Marys served with lettuce stalks instead of celery sticks.

Twitchell received expletive-laden phone calls at all hours, as well as two boxes of hate mail. One letter was from Germany. It was addressed simply to: "Orvin Twitchell, Mud Lake, Idaho."

The letter found its way to Twitchell.

Twitchell gave up farming in 1986 when his potatoes froze in the ground. He said he'd support jackrabbit drives today if there were a need, but he hopes his jackrabbit-driving days are over.

"That was the worst winter of my life," Twitchell said.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/04/15/2534951/5-60-1-lineymud-lake-vs-jackrabbits.html#storylink=cpy
Go to Top of Page

swopjan
Advanced Member

3263 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  4:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waste of good food (and, it appears, the first recorded Nigerian mail scandal?). And there's always going to be sickos jumping in the pen to smash the bunnies all day

I do agree with the animal rights groups that said children shouldn't be a part of it. There's hunting and there's killing. This was killing.

scottm21166: "Remember, you can see the whites of their eyes alot earlier with proper optics." RIP Scott

"Well, thats why I run a major e-commerce site and well, you don't." -CaptFun

"Jesus can make his own fishes and wine. He'll do just fine without my eight dollars and ninety four cents." -ChrisInTempe

Check out my auctions for AR15, AK47, HK91, 10/22, and other types of magazines http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=1810035
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31376 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  5:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on time of year you may not want to eat those jackrabbits.

quote:
The high prevalence of disease and parasites in jackrabbits also affects human predation - many hunters will not gather the jackrabbits they shoot, and those that do are well advised to wear gloves while handling carcasses and to cook the meat thoroughly. Most hunting of jackrabbits is done for pest control or sport.
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

5170 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  5:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some old films

Kansas 1934

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDxvc-BuS5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrKxdWH6Fk

I would love to see what the media and the green nuts would do if some county organized one today. There would be riots and bombings........All filming would stop due to all the hollyweird actors converging on the spot. Obama would be on TV holding a rabbit. In other words it would be a mad house.

RLTW

Edited by - Sam06 on 07/07/2013 5:36:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31376 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  5:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chickens are still OK.

quote:

COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. (AP) — What started off as a family project to rescue rabbits led a Creswell mother and daughter on a crusade to ban an event they regarded as animal abuse at the Cottage Grove Rodeo.

And they got their wish — sort of.

Heather Crippen and her 18-year-old daughter, Alex Crippen, heard about the "animal scramble" at the Cottage Grove Rodeo last year and decided to go see it firsthand. The two operate Red Barn Rabbit Rescue in Creswell — a nonprofit group that cares for about 60 rabbits that have been abused or abandoned.

"We don't cry easily," Heather Crippen said, "but we were having a hard time watching."

Dozens of rabbits were hauled into a horse trailer, she said, and released into the rodeo ring at the event that's organized each year by the Cottage Grove Riding Club. At the count of three, scores of children charged, each trying to snag a rabbit to keep. Some children grabbed the animals by their fur, and a few stepped on them, she said.

"People are whooping and hollering and yelling for the kids to grab (the rabbits)," Heather Crippen said.

"The stress that the rabbits go through is ridiculous," Alex Crippen said.

The two drafted a Lane County ordinance that would ban such events. And they sent several letters and e-mails to the Cottage Grove Riding Club, asking the organization to end the animal scramble at the rodeo, which this year will take place Friday and next Saturday, July 13.

And there will be no bunnies at this year's scramble, Riding Club President Kelli Fisher said.

Instead, there will be chickens.

Children will again be allowed to go into the ring during the scramble and will try to grab a chicken that they can take home. But they will be required to walk instead of run when approaching the chickens, Fisher said.

The scramble also will feature a plastic egg hunt, with 25 of the eggs containing certificates that will allow kids to win a free bunny, Fisher said. The other eggs will contain either money or rodeo coupons.

Because of its decades-long tradition in the Cottage Grove community, the Riding Club doesn't plan to end the scramble anytime soon, Fisher said. The scramble teaches children responsibility because they have to care for the animal they catch in the event, she said. The event also gives the animals a home, she added.

"There's something to be said about heritage and tradition," Fisher said. "How is it inhumane? Obviously, we didn't kill the rabbits."

While "extremely delighted" that this year's scramble will not feature rabbits, Heather Crippen said substituting them with chickens sidesteps the issue.

If the Riding Club won't end the event, Heather Crippen hopes that Lane County will.

Red Barn Rabbit Rescue last month drafted a proposed ordinance that would ban giving away small animals — including rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs and fowl — as prizes in competitions or games.

Heather Crippen testified before the Lane County Board of Commissioners on June 4, urging commissioners to adopt the ordinance.

County spokeswoman Anne Marie Levis said she expects commissioners to review a draft ordinance and possibly take a vote by the end of the month.

The Lane County Animal Services Advisory Committee, meanwhile, plans to discuss the ordinance at its meeting on Monday, Levis said.

As written, the ordinance would ban rodeos from featuring animals other than equine, cattle, sheep, goats and dogs. The ordinance also would ban dying or coloring small animals' fur for commercial purposes.

The Greenhill Humane Society in Eugene and the Humane Society of Cottage Grove, which also has worked to ban the scramble, support the ordinance. Jeannie Peterson, vice president of the Humane Society of Cottage Grove, said the organization has tried for three years to ban the scramble.

The organization offered to pay $300 for a coin scramble, where children would try to collect money instead of animals, Peterson said. Rodeo organizers indicated that they might consider a coin scramble in addition to, but not in lieu of, a scramble involving animals.

Heather Crippen said she also offered to pay for an alternative event that would not use animals. She said she has not heard back from the Riding Club.

Although Peterson appreciates the Riding Club's changes to this year's scramble, she said the humane society does not support any animal scramble — regardless of whether bunnies or chickens are involved.

Go to Top of Page

hedgehopper62

780 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  5:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LBD
I was on some of them hunts at Travis. we used a circle when we got to 100yd circle every other person stopped and unloaded loaded turned around and shot outside circle. unloaded went in.tks hedge
Go to Top of Page

whiteclouder
Advanced Member

13379 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  5:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
City folks are funny.

Clouder..

Visit www.whitecloudliterary.com
Go to Top of Page

e3mrk

1793 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  6:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's nothing,You should try herding Cats.
Go to Top of Page

swopjan
Advanced Member

3263 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  6:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That bunny scramble reminds me of high school. I volunteered at a carnival/fair sort of thing at my church about 6 or 7 years ago. The first year we gave away feeder fish from PetCo as prizes for tossing a ping pong ball into a fishbowl with plastic fish and octopi and other silly toys inside. The kids loved it. The year after we couldn't do that, PETA stuck their nose in the business and declared giving goldfish to children constitutes 'abuse.'

scottm21166: "Remember, you can see the whites of their eyes alot earlier with proper optics." RIP Scott

"Jesus can make his own fishes and wine. He'll do just fine without my eight dollars and ninety four cents." -ChrisInTempe

Check out my auctions for AR15, AK47, HK91, 10/22, and other types of magazines http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=1810035
Go to Top of Page

Waco Waltz
Advanced Member

USA
11754 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  6:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have little sympathy for a jackrabbit. Got clawed up bad by one. Was used to normal rabbits grab them being the head with all that loose skin and you have them. Not a jackrabbit they just take them long legs and tear your arm up from your armpit to your hand. Thought I was going to bleed to death.

Would you have reacted any differently if you were the jack rabbit?

“There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.”
George Orwell, 1984
Go to Top of Page

Waco Waltz
Advanced Member

USA
11754 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  7:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swopjan

That bunny scramble reminds me of high school. I volunteered at a carnival/fair sort of thing at my church about 6 or 7 years ago. The first year we gave away feeder fish from PetCo as prizes for tossing a ping pong ball into a fishbowl with plastic fish and octopi and other silly toys inside. The kids loved it. The year after we couldn't do that, PETA stuck their nose in the business and declared giving goldfish to children constitutes 'abuse.'

Better then being feeder fish?

“There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.”
George Orwell, 1984
Go to Top of Page

deerhntr

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  7:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see there are folks here that may like guns but feel sorry for furry critters and want to save them all, i know many city folks like that. Critters do not have "rights" they are not people.

Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31376 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  7:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waco Waltz

quote:

Would you have reacted any differently if you were the jack rabbit?

This was a pet Jackrabbit, I was more pissed at the Owner than I was at the rabbit. He had asked me to help catch it I did and then It lit into me.
Go to Top of Page

trapr

193 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  10:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Partly because of the rabbits out to Mud Lake,I spent many a Sunday with at least one other forum member and look back at all the things they taught me and I learned on my own.I count it as one of the best times of my life and a turning point in who and what I became as an adult.thank you kind sir!
Go to Top of Page

swopjan
Advanced Member

3263 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2013 :  10:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waco Waltz

quote:
Originally posted by swopjan

Better then being feeder fish?

I know right? Something about being owned by a human long-term is I guess morally questionable compared to being eaten by a turtle.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page