GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 ALUMINUM BLAZER CASES - RELOAD?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ENBLOC

180 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  11:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some .40 S&W boxer primed, aluminum Blazer cases once fired. Could I use these for reloads?
Thx,
ENBLOC

llama

2306 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  11:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, the aluminum is too brittle

The wind in the willow's playin' "Tea for Two";
The sky was yellow and the sun was blue,
Strangers stoppin' strangers just to shake their hand,
Everybody's playin' in the heart of gold band, heart of gold band.
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  11:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the blazer stuff I have seen is berdan primed. I have seen reloaded aluminum cases but I think its a poor plan.
Go to Top of Page

geeguy

USA
859 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  2:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they are boxer primed you can reload them. I tried this with light SWC loads for .45ACP and got about 4 reloads before they cracked (YMMV).
The primer pocket was a little lose after 3 reloads, but was not an issue.

Would I normally use these? Heck NO!! I just was running a little test to see if you could do it and what the results were. For anyone who cares I used large Winchester pistol primers and 3.8-4.1 grains of Clays, 200 gr. SWC lead.

Edit: Yes they say NR. "Some" do use a std primer (most do not). Should they be reloaded, NO! Will Alum become brittle and crack, YES! But that wasn't what he ask.

Edited by - geeguy on 07/12/2013 4:33:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13023 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  5:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The letters NR stand for NON RELOADABLE. The aluminum case gets work hardened, and cracks. They are Berdan primed (anvil is part of cartridge case, NOT the primer) and the aluminum anvil will not stand up to repeated firing pin impacts. Primers are also different size from standard.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

ENBLOC

180 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  5:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, geeguy. I was looking for something positive here. I don't intend to load for more than once. The only thing I have in 40 S&W is a Hi-Point Pistol. Mild loads with 180 grain cast lead work this blow-back fine with under two inch groups at 25 yards. Not going to pay $1.00 per round of ammo here....Looks like there will be plenty of 40 S&W rounds laying around with Homeland Security anyways.
ENBLOC
Go to Top of Page

RobOz
Advanced Member

5588 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  6:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your paying a buck a round for 40s&w your shopping at the wrong store. As for reloading disposable blazer cases, I will just SMH.
Go to Top of Page

FrancF

USA
32665 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  10:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO!!!! Same goes with ".223 practice ammo" steel cases

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

dakotashooter2
Advanced Member

4521 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  4:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SOME blazer cases ARE Boxer Primed....... I have used them for novelty loads. Shot loads, rubber bullets, dog training blanks, gallery loads, etc.

I suspect they are marked as not reloadable because there is no testing and/ordata available for it.

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
21263 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  8:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I refuse to use Blazer ammo. It's inferior IMHO.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

bpost

USA
28866 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  9:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question to be asked is; do you want to shoot a case that is made of a brittle metal; one very prone to breaking under stress, that is operating in the 33,000 PSI range while holding it in your hand?

If you do, have at it.
If you like your gun, your hand and your vision, well then the answer is obvious.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

reloader44mag
Advanced Member

16036 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  10:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why waste your time with the Blazer junk...I am assuming you have 40S&W brass also...if ya don't, email me your address and I will send ya a couple hundred once fired polished cases...reloader44mag
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page