GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Model 1892/92 Production Survey
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mod1892

100 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  6:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all,

Especially those with a Winchester Model 1892/92 rifle. I have been working on a survey of this line of rifle for more than 4 years now and have cataloged almost 7500 rifles to date. Much of this effort is the result of scouring on line auctions and dealers sites but has also included a couple of museum collections and thankfully the input from collectors and folks who own one or more. Some have wanted to know "what it is worth?" and other what is it?

There are wonderful reference books covering the 1873 by Gordon, the 1894/94 by Renneberg and the slide action rim fire rifle by Schwing. But there is little comprehensive and accurate information to assist those collecting the Model 1892. So, like those before me, and those presently working on other Winchester rifles I am trying to collect as much information on as many of these rifles as possible. Your gun does not need to be fancy, unique, high condition, or anything out of the ordinary. It just needs to be a Model 1892/92 and have a legible serial number on it in order to be part of this effort.

I would like you to read through the following information and you can either tell me how your rifle matches the individual photos or send me a series of photos via email that show the overall configuration and ones that show the barrel address, caliber stamp, upper tang stamp and the serial number. Either way is fine with me. I would prefer that you individually email me instead of through this forum thread. I believe it will be simpler to keep each person and rifle better organized instead of having to sift back through the questions and answers such as in Bert's work on the 94's and 55's.

My email address is: 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Grab your rifle(s) and let's get started.
1. Full serial number. Partials do not allow me to be certain that I have not already logged the gun into the work. If the gun is in the 100,000 range do the 1's look like an "L" or inverted "T"?

2. What is the configuration of the gun? Sporting rifle, saddle ring carbine, carbine, or musket?

3. What is the shape and length of the barrel? On sporting rifles is it round, octagon, or half round?

4. What is the style of the butt stock? Crescent rifle, carbine, or shotgun? With or without a pistol grip? Any checkering done to the wood?

5. On sporting rifles is the frame a solid or take down style?
Solid Frame:

Takedown Frame:

6. What is the caliber of the gun and is it marked on the top or left side of the barrel? If you have a saddle ring carbine in 25-20 is the caliber stamp done in two lines?

7. Compare your rifle's barrel address to the series of photos and which one does it match exactly? Is the stamp on the top, left side, or right side of the barrel?
Type 1

Type 1B

Type 1C

Type 1D

Type 2

Type 3

Type 4

8. Compare your rifle's upper tang stamp to the following series of photos and which one does it match exactly?
If you have a Type 1, if there is no period at the end of 1884 on bottom line it is a 1B
If there is no period at the end of either the upper or lower line it is a Type 1A

Type 1

Type 2

Type 2A If you have a Type 2A is the "MOD 1892" stamped perpendicular to the length of the tang just under the hammer? Please note which you have.

Type 2A Alt

Type 3

Type 4 Look especially close at the bottom line for the inclusion of "& FGN" for the type 4 style.

Type 5

Type 6

Type 7

9. On early guns does the hammer have the `widow's peak' indentation on the upper edge?

10. What front and rear sight are on the rifle? Photos might be easier here.

11. On saddle ring carbines in the +940,000 range please check closely as to the position of the rear sight dovetail relative to
the Model designation on the left side of the barrel. Which photo below does it match?
Position A

Position B

12. How are the Winchester Proof stamps located on the rifle?
In Line Proofs

Forward Proofs Only found on some saddle ring carbines

Top Proofs

Bottom Proofs

13. 13. Finally, is there anything else specific to your rifle that is not already covered such as engraving, alloy barrel such as Nickel steel, Stinger or Daisy stamps?

Thank so much to all who decide to participate and help in the project. Efforts like this are only successful with the help of others.

Michael

Model 1892 Collecting, Research, Valuation

Edited by - Mod1892 on 03/31/2015 3:34:35 PM

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4099 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  6:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awaiting comparison samples of barrel and tang legends.
The photobucket after #6 comes up blank, there are no other pictures here, and I am not sure which is which on photobucket.

Looking good. I'll dig the old relic out in the next day or three and fill in the particulars.

Description sent.

Edited by - Hawk Carse on 07/25/2013 2:54:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mod1892

100 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  6:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawk Carse,

I am still setting this up right now. The Photobucket links are being problematic to say the least. They have changed their img link to include the URL which is causing all sorts of alignment and space problems. I have 2 dozen more images to attach so I need to get this figured out.

Please hold off on replying folks until I get this all set up correctly. I don't want the post to get locked. Email me with suggestions if you have any. 2bitrifles@gmail.com

Thanks,
Michael

Go to Top of Page

Mod1892

100 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  7:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

That would have been oh so helpful before I sat here editing all +20 image links! But a HUGE thanks just the same. I was wondering what in the world was going on. I think I have this pretty much up to what I want without making it crazy long with way too many photos to cover every little deviation. Hopefully I can handle that in the individual email responses.

Thanks again
Michael

Edited by - Mod1892 on 07/24/2013 7:46:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mod1892

100 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  7:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all,

I hope this is as clear as it is to me, but then I have been working on this for a long time. email me with your information and comments as to how to clarify if necessary. I look forward to helping you all better understand your rifle and how it fits into the production run.

Thanks
Michael

Edited by - Mod1892 on 07/24/2013 7:49:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  9:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

I have made this a Sticky topic so that it will stay at or near the top of the forum... good luck with your survey!

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Edited by - Bert H. on 08/16/2013 2:42:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mod1892

100 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  10:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bert!

Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8123 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  12:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - wallie on 08/16/2013 12:33:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

magicmanml2

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  6:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pics im helping a widow sell.

[URL=http://s927.photobucket.com/user/magicmanml/media/IMG_0746_zps97dda300.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s927.photobucket.com/user/magicmanml/media/IMG_0755_zps97c64048.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s927.photobucket.com/user/magicmanml/media/IMG_0754_zpsfabc82dc.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s927.photobucket.com/user/magicmanml/media/IMG_0753_zps8b795419.jpg.html][/URL]

R M Lollar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page