GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 .243 win
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mossbergboogie
Advanced Member

USA
12809 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  8:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it only took nearly a decade but I own a .243 Win. Thank god I am not married yet the GF said well shouldn't you sell a gun if you buy an new one ..

I said no it doesn't work that way.....

Anyways I have always had an obsession with that Cal growing up, and now I have one.

Bought a mossberg 100ATR on sale scope package for 279.00. It will see light if any use really.

"There are few people who are more often in the wrong than those who cannot endure to be so." Francois De La Rochefoucauld

I know who I am and who I was. Who I am is always better than who I was.

"In a world where our [political] choices are limited to John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi, the survivors envy the dead," matt welch and nick gillespie The Declaration of Independants

Doc
Advanced Member

18537 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a #1 in 243 and while fun to shoot I was rather appalled the day I shot an empty soup can and found the 243 would not move the can at all. Every other caliber I used, including 22 Long Rifle, knocked the cans over.

Il Padrino dell'arte.

The war is over... they won.

"I don't think people should be allowed to own guns." -Barack Obama to John Lott while they were teaching at the University of Chicago.

Go to Top of Page

catgunguy
Advanced Member

USA
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the new gun, have fun.
Go to Top of Page

guntech59
Advanced Member

Kiribati
15352 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blew right through it, didn't it Doc?

I am a 243 fan, although I do not own one right now.

Article 2, Section 4, NY Civil Rights Law

§ 4. Right to keep and bear arms. A well regulated militia being
necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to
keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.

If you can judge a wise man from the color of his skin, Mister you're a better man than I.
Go to Top of Page

cranky2

USA
846 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought mine in 1967 used still have it. I shot my first deer with it as did my son years latter.
Go to Top of Page

JnRockwall
Advanced Member

USA
12605 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good caliber. Been knocking deer down with one since 1982

“When the South raised its sword against the Union’s Flag, it was in defense of the Union’s Constitution.”
Confederate General John B. Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Horse Plains Drifter
Advanced Member

USA
23723 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guntech59

Blew right through it, didn't it Doc?

That's exactly what it did.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad

U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
CA#8......3%

Gadsdens by Werwolf
Go to Top of Page

RobOz
Advanced Member

5040 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mossbergboogie

Well it only took nearly a decade but I own a .243 Win. Thank god I am not married yet the GF said well shouldn't you sell a gun if you buy an new one ..

Anyways I have always had an obsession with that Cal growing up, and now I have one.

Bought a mossberg 100ATR on sale scope package for 279.00. It will see light if any use really.

How many pairs of shoes does she have?
Go to Top of Page

Mossbergboogie
Advanced Member

USA
12809 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobOz

quote:

I tried that she said she can buy many shoes to my one gun....

"There are few people who are more often in the wrong than those who cannot endure to be so." Francois De La Rochefoucauld

I know who I am and who I was. Who I am is always better than who I was.

"In a world where our [political] choices are limited to John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi, the survivors envy the dead," matt welch and nick gillespie The Declaration of Independants
Go to Top of Page

retroxler58
Advanced Member

USA
25820 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ed Zachary...
When the wife starts about "Not another gun..."

I ask... "How many feet do you have?"

Go to Top of Page

retroxler58
Advanced Member

USA
25820 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  9:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I tried that she said she can buy many shoes to my one gun....

Not a problem...
Go get a notebook and first start writing down ALL the shoes she has to your guns...
She'll concede... Before you get started on your gun list.

Go to Top of Page

Ray B
Advanced Member

8631 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  10:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compared to shooting deer with a .223 and Swift bullets, the .243 is a big bore.
Go to Top of Page

BoltactionMan

1502 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  10:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are on the wrong track with the shoe thing, it is not how many it is about the resale value. No contest there.

KC

”The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20.”
~Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)
Go to Top of Page

jimbowby
Advanced Member

USA
3641 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  10:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like my WBY .243win-

Sierra 70gr BTHP/44gr IMR4831-.444 group/100yds

Easy gun to shoot-

JIMBO

--Ya gotta have class---

Go to Top of Page

Ox190

2157 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  12:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was drawn to this caliber as a very young man, I lusted after the Savage 110 in the Field and Stream ads for years. Christmas of 1994, I was 13, my father, whom I did not live with, bought me one. Nobody knew I wanted that exact gun. I'd been shooting my step dad's 30-30 for a couple of years. I still use it as my go-to gun for all of my hunting here in Texas.
Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
2772 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  01:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always wanted one, too....so I bought a Ruger 77 RSI on GB. The short barrel makes it a loud one! But the gun/caliber combination is a neat one.

Congrat, have fun with your new gun!
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
20080 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  07:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did you ask your GF if she sells a piece of jewelry every time she buys a new piece of jewelry?

PS had a .243 for decades. Great caliber for deer or antelope.

Edited by - us55840 on 08/28/2013 07:57:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

7053 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  07:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used a 243 for many years as a combination coyote/deer caliber. For a guy with only one rifle and nothing bigger than deer in his agenda, it's a decent round. Unfortunately, I found there are better varmint rounds and better deer rounds. For me, the last time I really used the 243 was an antelope hunt in Wyoming in 93. It turned out to be a combination hunt since the outfitter was really PO'd at the coyotes so the 243 was a good choice. I had 4 witnessed and measured hits over 400 yards out of 6 shots fired(1 miss and 1 close range kill).

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

Kenthetoolman

359 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  07:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thank god I am not married yet the GF said well shouldn't you sell a gun if you buy an new one ..

Time to get her straight before you are married and it is to late. Tell her that is not the way guns work but it is the way girlfriends work.

Scars are like tattoos but with better stories!

Somedays your the dog. Somedays your the leg.
Go to Top of Page

Kodiakk
Advanced Member

USA
4956 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  08:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know I put my nephew on a buck last hunting season and let him use my 243 and the deer ran all of 20 yards before piling up. I then let my daughter use it for a ram hunt and the ram only ran about 30 yards before being done. First buck I killed when I was 12 was with a 243 and he ran all of 50 yards.

The 243 has done very well by me.

God made man, Sam Colt made all men equal.

Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. Albert Einstein

Question with boldness.
Go to Top of Page

spec.4

733 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  10:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been working on a 243Win. But it is nothing but problems. Let me explained, i got two barrels, a 243 Win and 30-06 Springfield. I also had a 38 Turk Mauser action and M48 Yugo action. I took both barrel and action to the local smith and told him to rethread the 30-06 to the Turk Mauser and index the 243 Win to the Yugo. When I got them back, the 243 was rethreads for the Turk and the 30-06 was index for the Yugo. That was the 1st problem.
2nd problem was that after assembling the 243 Win together, I found out it did not feed right. The rails needed to be open alittle. Since it needed to be blued, I sent the rifle off. This all started last March. Since I reload, I pick up about 100 rds, dies, bullets, some more primers and powder.

I told the first smith that he screwed up and showed him, found out he out source the lathe work. Needless to say he was fired. But before I let him go, I give him another 38 Turk receiver and told him to fix it. And yes, there was no feeding issue with the 243 Win barrel and the Yugo M48 action. I put it on and tried it. Work like a gem, just need the barrel to be index so the stamping was on top. But that got screw up by the 1 st smith.

I should have my 243 Win in about three weeks all blued and ready to go.
Rob

Don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night. ME!!

Edited by - spec.4 on 08/28/2013 10:07:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tflogger

2248 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  4:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I lucked into a used youth model for $200 with a cheap scope, after opening up the barrel channel a bit it shoots 3/4 inch at 100 yards off the bench.
Nothing wrong with Mossberg.
It likes 100gr bullets with a moderate charge of IMR4350.

Edited by - Tflogger on 08/28/2013 4:28:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page