GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Cooper Rifles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6459 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  7:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to buy a Cooper rifle - Varmint model, no "Buick" cuts and probably centerfire 22 single shot. Does anyone have experience with the Coopers and can advise good or bad about them?

dsf

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7083 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  7:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug,

The cooper rifles are worry-free. I have had two of them, and like a dumb arse sold them. One was a Model 38 repeater in 17 CCM...kinda like a reloadable 17HMR, but at much higher velocities. The other was a model 38 Single shot in 17 Fireball. Both rifles would shoot well under 1/2MOA.

Rest easy. Great choice!

Both accounted for several large, edible critters, chewing on apple tree's.

Best

EDIT 1

Doug,

That TRIPLE DUCE is a fine performer. Hard to beat, actually. However, if you can find a Model 38 that fits your style, I would suggest the 221 Fireball, or 17 Fireball also. The accuracy of that 17 Fireball in that 38 Montana Varminter, still haunts me. Especially for a semi custom factory rifle. The 222/223 Remington will not fit the length of the Model 38. As you can tell, I am partial to the tiny, but strong Model 38 action.

Best

Take a look at these auctions on the otherside...
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/BrowseItems.aspx?IncludeSellers=484399

Edited by - tsr1965 on 09/17/2013 03:48:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6459 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  9:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tsr1965

Doug,

The cooper rifles are worry-free. I have had two of them, and like a dumb arse sold them. One was a Model 38 repeater in 17 CCM...kinda like a reloadable 17HMR, but at much higher velocities. The other was a model 38 Single shot in 17 Fireball. Both rifles would shoot well under 1/2MOA.

Rest easy. Great choice!

Both accounted for several large, edible critters, chewing on apple tree's.

Best

Thanks Tim, glad to hear they are well worth it. I'm leaning towards a 222 Remington chambering, based on accuracy and having plenty of components. I've always kept a few 222 rifles or Encore barrels in stock. I learned reloading some +40 years ago on an old Savage 340 and have yet to find a bad shooter in that caliber.

dsf

Edited by - dfletcher on 09/18/2013 12:27:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

62fuelie

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  5:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree on the triple duece. I have an old Sako L-46 that I have been shooting for more than 40 years and it still lays the prairie dogs down all the way out to where some of the guys I shoot with miss consistently with their 22-250's. If you can get one with 1" in 9" twist it should allow for use of heavier bullets than my 1 in 14 and make it more reliable on larger game.

B
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6459 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  12:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like I'll be able to get a 222 Remington. I see the same rifle offered in something called the "TAC 20" and read that it's a necked down 223, predates the 204 Ruger I presume. Seems like an interesting cartridge.

I get the value of going with standard calibers, but find half the fun is fiddling around with a new and slightly oddball caliber, especially if they come from "common parts" like a 223 case and 20 caliber bullets, which I suspect will always be around.

dsf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page