GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 "Life Below Zero"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

we_dig_it
Advanced Member

Djibouti
6744 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  7:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On National Geographic Channel. Anyone watch this show? Its on right now. One of the guys on it (Andy Bassich) is a man that I spent a week with helping to rebuild is place when the flood waters took it out. We went up with a group from Samaritans Purse to help the people in the town named "Eagle". Andy is a very unique guy to say the least. Eagle only has about 80 residents and its a 8 hr car ride by gravel road to the nearest town. Anyhow, Andy bought a few acres 12 miles down the Yukon from Eagle and toatally lives off the grid. I have a lot of photos I just don't know how to post them. Watch the show if you can.

guntech59
Advanced Member

Seychelles
16330 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  9:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can email the pics to me, I will post them for you.

US Army (Ret.)
1977-1998
Go to Top of Page

Viktor
Advanced Member

22344 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  9:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the right time of day, and I can teach you how to post pictures for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

austin20
Advanced Member

USA
25164 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  9:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could not live somewhere that cold.
Go to Top of Page

we_dig_it
Advanced Member

Djibouti
6744 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  9:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the help guys. I was gonna post about this a couple years ago when we went up there, but my computer knowledge is pitiful. I think my wife saved the pics in our computer, I will get the wife to help me send them to you. The new episode comes on at 10 est time tonite. And by the way, Andy Bassich really lives this way. This is true reality tv, nothing fake about the way he lives.

Go to Top of Page

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
29379 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  9:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...stays cold too long there for me,,

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

we_dig_it
Advanced Member

Djibouti
6744 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  9:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin20

I could not live somewhere that cold.

Austin, I talked to a man up there that had lived there since 1960, he said the coldest temp he could remember was 60 below. I just thought I was an outdoor person, that place would break me.

Go to Top of Page

BLKSRT8

364 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  10:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that show..

Go to Top of Page

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39399 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  5:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nat Geo. is some of the most entertaining TV I believe a person can view.
If you're not real careful, U may even learn a thing or 3!!!
Go to Top of Page

bpost

USA
29292 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  5:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pee'd in the Yukon River there just to say I did it. I think the Taylor hgy goes to Eagle. Nice place to visit and a wonderful drive getting there.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

Rocky Raab
Advanced Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  5:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would never live in a place where you can't grow tomatoes. It's that simple.
Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8888 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  5:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reference that show, Edward "Chip" Hailstone was sentenced to 15 months in prison in December 2012, for felony perjury. He had stated he planned to appeal. If he wants to remain a subsistence hunter, he needs to get that felony overturned so he can possess firearms. Maybe he can get it thrown out or reduced to a misdemeanor.

Has anyone heard how that turned out? All I can find is news articles about the trial and sentencing, but nothing on the appeal.

Go to Top of Page

Sooeyman2035
Advanced Member

USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  6:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrewsw16

Reference that show, Edward "Chip" Hailstone was sentenced to 15 months in prison in December 2012, for felony perjury. He had stated he planned to appeal. If he wants to remain a subsistence hunter, he needs to get that felony overturned so he can possess firearms. Maybe he can get it thrown out or reduced to a misdemeanor.

Has anyone heard how that turned out? All I can find is news articles about the trial and sentencing, but nothing on the appeal.

His native american wife does all of his shooting!

"courage is being scared but saddling up anyways" JOHN WAYNE-- 30 yr. LEO ret. USMC 62-67
Go to Top of Page

Chief Shaway

3477 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  7:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sooeyman2035

quote:

Yepper. I do like the show. Even the grouchy woman who lives by herself.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8888 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  7:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Now. But before all of the legal problems, his bio says he is an avid hunter/shooter. I think the show just tried to stay away from the sensitive subject and let him claim that he skins after she shoots. I just wondered if he had won his appeal. Maybe it is still in the courts. Although, it has been 11 months since the sentencing.
Go to Top of Page

acdodd

924 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  8:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

He is fighting the ASP.
Claims the tape they used against him has been altered and he has several experts agreeing with him.
I believe he has the state patrol in a bind.
He posts on a homesteading board I frequent.
Go to Top of Page

babun
Advanced Member

6192 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  2:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a "hypothetical" question for the LEO's here {and anyone else}.... If you saw him with a gun {outside of town} would you push the issue that he can't own a gun???

I know I would look the other way.
Go to Top of Page

Oakie
Advanced Member

USA
13426 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  4:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Shaway

quote:

quote:

Now lets not get carried away, she is by no means a womanI would rather sleep with one of the polar bears then her.

This is my second favorite show behind Mountain men.

Go to Top of Page

m88.358win
Advanced Member

USA
4386 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  5:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oakie

quote:
Originally posted by Chief Shaway

quote:

quote:

Now lets not get carried away, she is by no means a womanI would rather sleep with one of the polar bears then her.

This is my second favorite show behind Mountain men.

I bet she smells like the inside of a hamster cage after not taking a shower for a couple of months. She must be one tough person to live like that.

Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
8888 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  11:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. She tracked down and killed the bear that tried to eat her. That's a tough chick.
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

Japan
11264 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  3:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

While the cameras are rolling. Out on the ice and away from prying eyes I'll bet the seals get stoned by dude.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page