GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Average cost for a well pump?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  6:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well pump went out today while I was in the shower. I had installed a new pressure switch, went under the house and I have power to it, coming out of it and contacts are closed. Went out to the well and I have 240V there, only thing it could be is the pump. Pipes aren't frozen, water was running fine then it quit like someone turned it off and they are protected by heat tape.

dcon12
Advanced Member

Georgia
26960 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  6:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be your control box. It should have a magnetic starter that if you are careful and use an insulated screwdriver, push it in to see if the well will start. Also see if the resets on the bottom od the control box have tripped. Don

Edited by - dcon12 on 02/02/2014 6:32:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosie
Advanced Member

USA
12248 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  6:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 inch, 4 inch? If it's a two inch deep well pump they cost about $600.00 4 Inch as low as about $250.00 By the way I have a 3 stage Flint & Walling completly rebuilt deep well pump that needs a new home. I had it as a spare and put in a 4 inch well. I even have a new in the box upright bladder tank I was keeping as a spare. I keep spare every thing.
Go to Top of Page

notnow

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  6:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless your well is dry, you're probably right. I haven't bought one in a long while. You're going to spend at least 300 for a basic 1/2 horse. You can save some money and pull it yourself. In the meantime kill the power to your switch.
Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
10756 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  6:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How deep is it?

"... For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!" But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot..."
Go to Top of Page

notnow

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  6:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I can tell you to be sure of is not to have any joints in your water line down in the well. Make it one continuous line from the top down to the pump. The torque on the line from the pump kicking on can loosen coupler joints and then you have a new set of trouble. If you have a coupling on there right now it may have come apart. If it's above the water level you could possibly hear it pumping water to the top of the line and then falling back down the well.
Go to Top of Page

bamafan
Advanced Member

USA
2795 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  6:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be a broke wire. Open & close the contacts to see if you get an arc. If no arc, it's going to be a broke wire. You will get an arc at the contacts even if the motor is burnt up.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Idahobound
Advanced Member

USA
5631 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  7:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell me what size you are looking for. Deep well shallow well I will get you a price only a little over an hour away
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  7:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Idahobound

Tell me what size you are looking for. Deep well shallow well I will get you a price only a little over an hour away

We tried researching the well but there are no records found on this well. I have no idea how deep it is, the only way to find out is for me to pull the pump and I'm nervous about doing that. I don't even know what size it is or anything. All the paperwork on the house there is no well info, I had a well drilling company in Belgrade try to find it but nothing to be found.
Go to Top of Page

Rosie
Advanced Member

USA
12248 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  7:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is a 2 inch let the well people do it if that is the problem. 4 inch can get pretty heavy if It's very deep. We did a lot of research on pumps at the company I worked for. We built a few but couldn't compete with the biggest name in pumps.
Go to Top of Page

calrugerfan
Advanced Member

USA
14446 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  9:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I reading it correctly that your well is UNDER your house?

I always fire two warning shots; one to the chest, one to the head.
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31946 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  9:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by calrugerfan

Am I reading it correctly that your well is UNDER your house?

I think its his controls that are under the house along with the tank.
Go to Top of Page

notnow

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  10:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I forgot to ask if it is a two wire or three wire pump. I don't know much about three wire. I had one here and pulled it and put in a two wire. Some people use the boom of a tractor to pull pumps. Don't try it by yourself. It's a two and a half person job. Especially when you're down over 150 ft.
Go to Top of Page

slumlord44
Advanced Member

USA
2945 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  10:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A suggestion when you replace it. I am assuming that it is a submersible from what you said. Get a piece of good nylon rope and tie it to the pump and then to the top of the well. Pipe breaks and you just pull the pump out with the rope and install new pipe. Cheap insurance.

slumlord44
Go to Top of Page

Alpine
Advanced Member

9749 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  10:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the county has records of how deep wells are if a permit is required.

The well in San Diego is only 40 foot deep and I can pull it by myself. The well in Idaho is 150' and I wouldn't even think of pulling it.

Your mileage may vary.
“Every time a system is made foolproof - a new class of fool emerges.”
Prod Harris

"If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there."

"Profanity is the linguistics of the inarticulate."

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

In a follow-up story, local police are considering charging Mr. Lapointe with felony stupid. The usual additional charge of Ignorant in a Smart Zone will not be applied, due to the rural location of the incident, according to a police spokesman.

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and Always win." Clint Smith

I come from a State that raises corn and cotton and cock-leburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me.
- Willard D. Vandiver

The burden of proof lies on the plaintiff.
- Legal maxim
Go to Top of Page

jltrent
Advanced Member

USA
6695 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  07:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Average cost. I would say around $1500 to pull, but a good Gould pump will run around $800-$1000 alone. I would go back with Gould and it might be the last pump you need.

Edited by - jltrent on 02/03/2014 07:21:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
25820 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  09:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BSR,

jtrent is right.

Contact your local well guy. Hate to say this, but wells in this part of the world aren't shallow like back east. Ours well is 650' feet deep and there's no way the pump can be pulled without a derrick. The pump alone weighs a couple hundred pounds. Our pump is down 400'.

Contact your local well guy. It might be something simple, and it might not, but either way it's a lot easier to screw something up and make it worse (read: several thousand dollars worse).

Sorry. I hope things work out for you and it's nothing major.

Note: check your mortgage paperwork...there should be paperwork for the well in there (like a permit). The permit will tell you how deep the well is and who drilled it. Call them, if they're still around.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

In the immortal words of another GB member - "...it's not much of an overstatement to say they were inhuman bloodsucking soulless vultures."

Get In...Sit Down...Shut Up...Hang On!!

Come in...Turn around...Gimme' your wallet...Bend over!!! <edited due to obamanomics>

Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  11:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can't find any documentation in the well, even had a well drilling company check and our well does not exist

So this morning I went out after leaving the power to the well off all night, powered it up and crossed my fingers and it didn't work

I called the well company that did the research for my non existing well and worked out a contractual agreement to have them come do the work. Great bunch of people that I dealt with when I was delivering freight last summer and they did the research for free.

Tried calling two local places but all I got was an answering machine so I called this company in Belgrade. They will be here in the morning first thing, one more day of bottled water, I can deal with that!

Ohh and I did reach down with a short chain and grabbed the lift hook and gave a tug on it, now I need a backrub. That sumbeech is heavy!!
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  3:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They came today instead of tomorrow!

I now know the well is 160'

The pump was made in 1996 but no idea when it was installed. Pump has issues as does some wire. Pump has pretty much exceeded it's life expectancy if installed in the 90's.

Getting a new pump and wire.

It is also cold, in the teens, windy and snowing. I offered them to come in for coffee but so far they have passed.

Should have H20 real soon!

Edited by - Big Sky Redneck on 02/03/2014 3:23:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
23208 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  4:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It cost me $2500 a couple years ago. But my pump is at 410' and I replaced the black pipe with rigid white pvc type that is adhered together in sections.
Go to Top of Page

nards444
Flaming Liberal

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  4:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they sell them at lowes/HD for like 3-400 bucks. But then again thats probably for the guy with the standard well.
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

5509 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  7:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks cold. I remember those winters in Glasgow MT.

Did they get it fixed?
Go to Top of Page

woodhog
Advanced Member

USA
8749 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  7:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's quick service. Glad you got it taken care of BSR, hope it's not too big a bite!.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  8:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lift pipe they are using came unscrewed from the fitting and dropped the whole thing. Had to wait for their other truck to get here from Belgrade to bring tools to try and get it raised again, they are working on it now and the temp has dropped to 5, I feel bad for these guys.
Go to Top of Page

dcon12
Advanced Member

Georgia
26960 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  8:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck

The lift pipe they are using came unscrewed from the fitting and dropped the whole thing. Had to wait for their other truck to get here from Belgrade to bring tools to try and get it raised again, they are working on it now and the temp has dropped to 5, I feel bad for these guys.

So the pipe seperated and now they are fishing? I see the other side of $3,000.00. Don
Go to Top of Page

LaidbackDan
Advanced Member

14160 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  8:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shilowar

It cost me $2500 a couple years ago. But my pump is at 410' and I replaced the black pipe with rigid white pvc type that is adhered together in sections.

Sounds like ours that we replaced 4 months ago, we are at 350 feet, replaced the black with the PVC and a Gould pump and it was about $2300.
luckily the three wire was in good shape, or it would have been a dollar plus some change a foot to replace

I just read "100 things to do before you die" and was quite surprised that yelling for help wasn't one of them.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Advanced Member

USA
11303 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  8:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude- You are due for something to break your way in a good way soon!

Seems like its been a long winter for you!

"I couldn't possibly care less. Im actually trying to care less and just can't get there." - Kevd18
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  8:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah they were fishing, their lift pipe unscrewed out of the fitting but they sent the camera down and found that when it hit bottom the dang fitting snapped off.

They grabbed the wire and tried lifting it, got about 20' up and the wire broke sending it all back down the hole. I guess I'm catching a break on the bill since my pipe didn't break causing the fall. They quit for the night and are coming back tomorrow and the boss is bringing fuel for my jet heater I brought out for them to warm up with.

Dave, I pray every day for some relief! I know I get bitchy on here and try to place blame, I'm just having a run of very bad luck and it is really trying my patience. Some wonder why I started drinking again, Saturday nights belong to me and a bottle of whiskey!
Go to Top of Page

notnow

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  11:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just call it an untimely inconvenience. After all it could be the middle of summer with temps in the 90's or higher. Being without water then would suck worse, or at least it would in my world. Since it's 167 feet deep It shouldn't be such a bad job to do. I'm wondering why there wasn't a pull rope on it. The check valve that goes on top of the pump and connects to the water line usually has a loop for a rope as part of the casting, in other words built in.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  08:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by notnow

Just call it an untimely inconvenience. After all it could be the middle of summer with temps in the 90's or higher. Being without water then would suck worse, or at least it would in my world. Since it's 167 feet deep It shouldn't be such a bad job to do. I'm wondering why there wasn't a pull rope on it. The check valve that goes on top of the pump and connects to the water line usually has a loop for a rope as part of the casting, in other words built in.

The doohickey that hooks to the water line in the casing does not have a hook but instead a threaded boss for the lift pipe to screw into. While they was seating the two fittings together the pipe unscrewed out of the boss and down she went.

Been without water since Saturday night. Our neighbor is an angel and has opened her house for showers and pails of water.
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
25820 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  08:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, BSR.

When I saw the well truck in the pic I figured this story was going to have a happy ending real quick. Then when I got to the part about dropping the pump and broken fittings I went back to the edge of my seat.

I imagine they've still got tricks up their sleeve for retrieving stuff like this, but I just know from my oil patch days; losing/dropping things (especially tools/bits) down the hole is a tool pusher's and driller's worst nightmare (next to maybe a blowout). (...and there's a reason there are companies out there and prospering who specialize in nothing else but this)

I could tell ya some stories, but they're prolly best left for another thread some other day.

Hope everything works out and you get your water back today.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

In the immortal words of another GB member - "...it's not much of an overstatement to say they were inhuman bloodsucking soulless vultures."

Come in...Turn around...Gimme' your wallet...Bend over!!! <edited due to obamanomics>

Edited by - Flying Clay Disk on 02/04/2014 08:53:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
12213 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  09:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look on the bright side,,,,,

If that was a 'fish in the hole' in the oil field it would be several thousand $$$ an hour,,,,,,especially if they had to 'mill' the top of the 'fish' so their tools could work,,,,,
Go to Top of Page

jltrent
Advanced Member

USA
6695 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  12:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have they got the pump out yet?
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  4:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They just got the pump out, this company is great!

Spoke with the foreman a little bit ago while they was getting ready to try and snag the pipe with a slipover clamp they made last night.

He told me that there is no charge for the work today, I am only paying for the original job. He also told me that if they cannot get it out and it is a permanent fixture in that hole that we will get a new well,,,,, at no charge!

They are installing all new pipe, all new wire and another new pump since this one bounced twice yesterday, I am only being charged for the first pump.

I was willing to split the cost of all of this with them but he told me no.

Customer service, this is customer service and I will recommend these guys any time! They allowed us to finance the cost with them for 60 days, then this happened and they are waiving all additional cost. Good group of people! I've dealt with businesses before that would not do what they are doing, I am extremely happy with this outfit!

I finally got a break!

I knew there are good business owners out there, I've just had a couple bad experiences with a couple bad ones and this restores my faith in family owned businesses!
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  4:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh, and I even forgave them for parking a dodge in my yard LMAO!

Go to Top of Page

woodhog
Advanced Member

USA
8749 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  4:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad it worked out. You deserve it!!
Go to Top of Page

jltrent
Advanced Member

USA
6695 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  4:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad they got it worked out.
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8844 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  4:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those damn trucks are blocking a pretty nice view!!

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
23208 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  4:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LaidbackDan

quote:
Originally posted by shilowar

Sounds like ours that we replaced 4 months ago, we are at 350 feet, replaced the black with the PVC and a Gould pump and it was about $2300.
luckily the three wire was in good shape, or it would have been a dollar plus some change a foot to replace

Yep Gould pump...they said it was the best on the market.
Go to Top of Page

cranky2

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  6:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you have water.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  7:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, we still don't have water.

The fitting, it's called a Pitless Fitting, when the pump dropped the original fitting broke off the pipe and is lost forever.

The tried to find another fitting like the one that was lost and could not find an exact match. They had one they thought would work but when the turned the pump on it leaked.

So now, what to do?

Tomorrow morning there will be a big digging machine here, they are going to dig down 6' to the fitting and replace it with a heavy duty Pitless Fitting. They are paying the local guy here in the development to do the4 digging.

When this is all done, except for the hole and casing we will have a new well. New pump, new pipe, new wire and a new fitting.

What do we have to pay? Just for the original job and they are even going to discount the pump.

I want to cry, not out of anger or frustration but because I cannot believe that they are doing all of this and not charging for it.

Yes there truly is some good people left in this country.

http://www.vddrilling.com/

Van Dyken Drilling & Pump Service
Address: 556 Bus Hub Dr, Belgrade, Mt 59714

Phone:(406) 388-2003
Go to Top of Page

cranky2

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  7:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To bad about no water but it is nice to see a stand up company.
Go to Top of Page

notnow

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  8:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it's turning out good for you. Yep you're right, that's a good company that will own up and make things right. I've got to admit I was getting all tense and anxious over what was going on with you and that well. Glad to hear it's winding down. I'll relax now.
Go to Top of Page

pulsarnc

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  8:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to know that there are good drillers in that part of the country .I drilled for many years in the tidewater area of Virginia and eastern NC.Had a few bad times with dropped pumps etc .They deserve a pat on the back .

stupid people should not be allowed to breed
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8844 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  08:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those trucks still blocking the view?
Seriously, glad it's working out and you found a good company to work with you. You need to find them a well job now to pay it forward!!!
Stay warm,
Ed

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

hillbille
Advanced Member

5742 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  08:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck

Ok, we still don't have water.

The fitting, it's called a Pitless Fitting, when the pump dropped the original fitting broke off the pipe and is lost forever.

The tried to find another fitting like the one that was lost and could not find an exact match. They had one they thought would work but when the turned the pump on it leaked.

So now, what to do?

Tomorrow morning there will be a big digging machine here, they are going to dig down 6' to the fitting and replace it with a heavy duty Pitless Fitting. They are paying the local guy here in the development to do the4 digging.

When this is all done, except for the hole and casing we will have a new well. New pump, new pipe, new wire and a new fitting.

What do we have to pay? Just for the original job and they are even going to discount the pump.

I want to cry, not out of anger or frustration but because I cannot believe that they are doing all of this and not charging for it.

Yes there truly is some good people left in this country.

http://www.vddrilling.com/

Van Dyken Drilling & Pump Service
Address: 556 Bus Hub Dr, Belgrade, Mt 59714

Phone:(406) 388-2003

Lonnie, you haven't told them you aren't from Montana have you?????????????????
Go to Top of Page

woodhog
Advanced Member

USA
8749 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  12:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He IS from Montana!
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
25820 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  9:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...????

Did they get the "WELL" working 'well'???

Well, did they?

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Go to Top of Page

woodhog
Advanced Member

USA
8749 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  9:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, well. You knew this was comming
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
11677 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  11:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think any of the crew is a MT native!

I had to go to work today so I missed the fun but Bryann sent me this pic of someone digging a hole in our yard!

Water is on finally, I am so relieved and I still cannot believe all they did and ate the cost, I am totaly moved by this.
Go to Top of Page

woodhog
Advanced Member

USA
8749 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  11:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as he is there anyway, get him to build you a shooting backstop!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page