GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 US Military Veteran Forum - Vietnam
 Puff!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24262 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  11:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...anyone here fly the C-47's with the Gatlin guns?... I can't remember how many guns and which side(I think port side) they were on..???

Glad to be here...

CapnMidnight
Advanced Member

USA
7630 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  11:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Puff saved our butts on more than one occasion. Thank you to everyone who flew on a Puff crew.
W.D.

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Jeff Cooper
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/gunboard_3.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43744 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  01:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Puff was bad, badder than Big Bad John and Leroy Brown. One round per square foot over the size of a football field, so it was said. 3 guns port side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOrpyO0z48

What's next

A couple of favorite quotes:

"What goes around comes around."

“Abe, climb down from Mt. Rushmore, and vacate the penny. Your days in the pantheon are over, thanks to the scholarship and courage of Thomas J. DiLorenzo.” — Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24262 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  10:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew it was the Port side,but couldn't remember if two or four Gats!...I know they sounded like fog horns in the sky...So did the mini's on the little Bell Helo...

Glad to be here...
Go to Top of Page

MMOMEQ-55
Advanced Member

USA
14173 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  1:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CapnMidnight

Puff saved our butts on more than one occasion. Thank you to everyone who flew on a Puff crew.
W.D.

Amen Brother!. I am here today thanks in part to Puff.

The day you are born you are dying. Make every day count! -Johnny B.

"Love says I sacrifice myself for the good of the other person.
Abortion says I sacrifice the other person for the good of
myself..." -unknown

In essence many modern day, legally-sanctioned abortion clinics serve the same purpose as Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Dachhau and Hitler's other slaughterhouses, which exterminated an unwanted segment of the population. - Charlie Daniels
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

17214 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  5:06:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the first time I ever knew of such a thing I heard it about 4or5 times before I saw 'it"sounded like a herd of elephants passing gas" when I did see it and the curtain Of red from the tracers I was awe struck knowing how many rounds a minute was spewing out I had fired thousands of rounds from both M60 and M2
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15537 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  9:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I THINK the original Puff and the original Spooky (AC-130) are at the Air Force Ordnance Museum just outside Eglin AFB Florida.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

Laredo Lefty
Advanced Member

USA
13295 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  11:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember well watching them shoot fire missions thru a starlite scope. It looked like they were shooting 100 watt light bulbs.

Joe
"Never let school interfere with your education"
Go to Top of Page

Wild Turkey

1154 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How large was the "beaten zone" of a Spooky strike?

I remember laughing at the shot in "Green Berets" when they showed all the bullets in a straight line because I knew there would be more dispersion due to altitude.

I've heard stories of leaves coming off trees, etc, but always wondered how intense it really was.

(commissioned USAR Aug '72)

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15537 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  6:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction to my last- the AC-130 was Spectre- "Spooky" was the call sign for the AC-47s.

Regarding the size of the beaten zone- depends on distance from target, and duration of fire. The guns for Spooky were 3 ea 7.62 mm miniguns, capable of 6,000 rounds per minute. While more than one gun could fire at once, they were usually cycled one at a time. Spooky used a WW 2 fighter gunsight, mounted looking out to the pilot's port side. Not precise, but when you have God's own shotgun to shoot with....

The AC-130 raised the stakes- 40mm cannon, a 105 howitzer, upgraded gatlings, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOrpyO0z48

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

Jim Rau
Advanced Member

USA
4275 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  10:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They would 'wag' their wings and spray the area back a forth. The weak link with he mini-guns was the 'feeder-delinker'. Most would not try to fire more than about 3k per minute to keep the feeder-delinker from going FUBAR!!!

Self defence is an absolute and natural right. An armed society is not always polite, but it is A FREE AND SAFE SOCIETY! Keep your head down and your powder dry! J. Rau, Alabama
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page