GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 8x57 j bore reloading dies/ are they available?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigozz314
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  9:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doe's any one know if 8x57 j bore reloading dies are available for this cal????

Thanks'
bigozz314

kingjoey
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  10:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you looking for 8x57JS aka 8mm Mauser?

Love them Beavers

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
Go to Top of Page

jonk
Advanced Member

9708 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  11:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
J bore dies ARE available but pricey. What I do is remove the expander from a regular die set, decap with a universal deprimer, and size the case w/o expander and it works just great!

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
Go to Top of Page

Herschel

2023 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2003 :  12:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kingjoey, The 8 X 57J uses a .318 bullet. The 8 X 57JS uses a .323 bullet.

Go to Top of Page

kingjoey
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herschel- Sorry, I missed that, I think we had that discussion awhile back. I've always refered to it as the "8mm Commission" and often get 'em mixed up when it comes to lettering nomenclature. Thanks for setting me straight, again

Love them Beavers

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
Go to Top of Page

jonk
Advanced Member

9708 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  3:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to put in a few more cents....

It is actually "I" bore, not "J." Common mistake as "I" in fractal Gothic scripts appears as a "J" to untrained american eyes. The "I" stands for Infanterie, or infantry. So the old pattern 1888 cartridge is properly called the 7.9X57I. The later pointed bullet is the 7.92X57IS or Infanterie, Spitzgeschoss, or Infantry, pointed bullet. As mentioned there is a difference of .318 vs. .323" between them. I personally think that the warnings are a bit overdone; a lot of people over the years shot .323 ammo out of the guns, military included, with no ill effects; so long as the bullet has a lead core I wouldn't worry about it with factory or handloads, but don't play with the surplus in the I bore guns. That said, I personally use .319" bullets in my .3185" bore, lead cast that is, or .318" jacketed.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
Go to Top of Page

Herschel

2023 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  6:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jonk, No only did the untrained American eyes misread the I for a J but the Swedes had the same problem. I just looked at a box of Norma unprimed cases. The box was labeled 8X57 J. They even stamped 8 X 57 J on the heads of the cases in the box. Not being literate in German I don't question your explanation but it looks as the mistake is here to stay.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page