GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Beretta 418 .25
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steeltoe1978
Advanced Member

USA
2530 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  09:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a Beretta 418 .25 in a local gun shop. I'm thinking about adopting it . It's from 1956 and is in excellent condition. I have found a site that sells spare parts and another that has extra mags. Anyone own one of these? If so, tell me what you think. Thanks! - Toe

2520wcf

145 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  3:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've owned a couple of 418s. It's the original James Bond gun and was actually issued for a time in the '40s and '50s by the British SIS. I'd call it the Cadillac of .25s. They are a miniature 1934 with a striker instead of a hammer and with a grip safety. They are one of the most reliable .25s; as reliable as any jammamatic, but they were designed before hollowpoint .25 ammo was available, so may not want to feed it (I never tried). An elegant little piece; a fascinating amalgam of designs, but I always got rid of mine when I found a Beretta collector that wanted it worse than I did. You can say lots of nice (and true) things about them, but they are still, in the end, .25 automatics. Has anyone else noticed that whatever else an Italian gun is, it's likely to be beautiful? Compare a Beretta M12 SMG with an Uzi and you'll see what I mean! (The Glisenti revolver is the exception that proves the rule...).

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19230 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  8:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These were very nice little pocket pistols. In the United States they were generally marketed as the Puma and were imported for years by the old J.L. Galef & Sons. Inc.. Beretta produced around 175,000 of the Model 418 pistols during a long 25 year production run and the 418 was simply an improved version of the even older 318 pistol design. There were at least four sub types of the 418 including a nickel plated version with tortoise shell grips. My own opinion is that if you feel the need for a small .25 pocket pistol you could not do much better than the Beretta Model 418.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

rahul_does
Starting Member

India
6 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  04:20:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2520wcf

I've owned a couple of 418s. It's the original James Bond gun and was actually issued for a time in the '40s and '50s by the British SIS. I'd call it the Cadillac of .25s. T

Has anyone else noticed that whatever else an Italian gun is, it's likely to be beautiful?

I completely agree! I have seen about 5 .25 models here, with acquaintances and they ALL admit to 418 being the BEST looking! The most beautiful!

I shall post the photos of all the models once I get back home.

This is also the best in its class, functionally. Almost all the others work on spring-leafs and they are nigh impossible to modify. From the slide to the trigger, everything is TOO TIGHT! In fact, one was so tight that my hands use to tremble when cocking it.

Once, my pistol's trigger was suchlike heavy/tight. My friend and I opened the pistol up and cut that spring and it became quite easily operable.

It is always in my hip pocket and that has taken its toll on the bluing. Soon I shall get it adorned with the finery once again!

Till then,

Cheers.

Ra.
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13131 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2520wcf
Has anyone else noticed that whatever else an Italian gun is, it's likely to be beautiful?

This is true, but its not limited to guns. I don't know if you've ever been to Italy, but the Italians have a sort of national obsession with artistry, going all the way back to Michaelangelo and the Renaissance.

For an Italian EVERYTHING has to be as good-looking as it can be. Its part of their culture. That's why (among other things) Italy is known for high fashion, shoes, and cool-looking exotic sports cars (like the Ferrari and Lamborghini, etc).

On the 418 itself, its probably the "king" of the .25s, yeah. In addition to seeing short-term use by British Intelligence officers during WWII, the gun was (and I hear still is) a favorite for Italian Mafiosi.

Go to Top of Page

rahul_does
Starting Member

India
6 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  03:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
On the 418 itself, its probably the "king" of the .25s, yeah. In addition to seeing short-term use by British Intelligence officers during WWII, the gun was (and I hear still is) a favorite for Italian Mafiosi.

YEAH! Made my Day! This one IS the King!

Also makes me shoot Gun Dealers / Manufacturers / Owners in India who call this one a Woman/Ladies Pistol! As much as Herr Bond was a Ladies' Man!

Edited by - rahul_does on 09/07/2010 03:21:06 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page