GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting
 French 1842 musket
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricci Wright
Advanced Member

USA
3581 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  7:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old French 1842 musket I believe to be .60 that has been laying around the shop for a couple of years. I just ran some Krol oil in the spray can with a pip through the nipple and Krol came rolling out the muzzle so the nipple is clear. The fire control seems to work well and I'm thinking about shooting it. What do you guys think? Any idea what size cap and what powder I should order??
I have the bayonet for this musket and it is bad ass. French model 1842 Yataghan Sword Bayonet. 22 3/4 inch re curved blade and brass handle.

"Fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Ark"

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
45388 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  7:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds really cool.Can you post up pictures??

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
2879 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  05:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too would really enjoy seeing pictures of your musket Ricci!

I would remove the barrel and check the breech condition before shooting. Remove breech plug and inspect the threads for corrosion and proper fit.

If all is well, get some 2F black powder, thick cotton patch material or large pre cut patching, and some pure lead round balls that are just a hair undersized to your bore.

You can lube your patch material with a dab of Crisco, or just wet with spit for fair warm weather shooting.

I would start with using 60 grains of powder and I believe you will need to get some musket size top hat caps for your nipple. Check on the nipple size for this, top hats should fit.

The first shot or two I would do from a remote position. That is using a string to pull the trigger and your musket held securely between a couple of tires. (Safety first is my middle name!)

After that just enjoy making sure you always wear good safety glasses for all of your shooting.
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6942 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  06:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must post pics.

Lockplate closeups please.

I have 9 French long guns but none that old.

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
2879 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  07:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yea, that bayonet sounds pretty cool! May be worth more than your musket! Pics Please
Go to Top of Page

hillbille
Advanced Member

7114 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  11:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have kid shoots at the four H club and shoot 25-30 grains powder just so the kids can say they shot muzzleloader. I wouldn't go much more than that for the first shot, safety is more important than accuracy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page